Following Beneath the Surface advice

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
To be honest, I think this may be a bit over most viewer/posters paygrade

I know it is for me
Because playing position is the most difficult in 3c

Just making the point is itself a task
But then add one, thinking about where to push the first ball, while at the same time hitting it just easy or hard enough to put it in a big spot AND still make the point

Speed kills

I mean look at those damn things, lol,
That's upper level stuff and most of us that look here are under. 75-1. average, I'd be willing to wager

Since Rich mentioned that 'position play' might not be the correct place to start, 'Newbies' in 3 cushion. I will start with a thread once a week entitled , The Foundation-basic fundamentals.

The Importance of Proper Fundamentals

The world’s best player’s have it
I’m sure there will be those who’ll say, "Why so much attention to the fundamentals in a book pertaining to position play”. It’s essential in every sport to have a standard of technique in order to pass on these skills to others. With a sound and complete understanding of these basics, and correct concept of the game, players can play a formidable game for many years to come. This is why the greatest player in the modern game, Raymond Ceulemans can still at age 70 plus continually averages over 1.40 in world competition. If any player of the last generation is quintessential in their fundamentals it is he.

Today’s generation master of the fundamentals is Frederic Caudron. His fluid stroke and tempo are attributes for every amateur to emulate. I, myself, have tried to pattern my game after these two men. Obviously, these are my humble opinions, but these Champions’ records speak for themselves.

The beginning section, “The Foundation basic fundamentals” is really a prelude to understanding the proper concepts and techniques needed to execute the position shots throughout the remaining sections. This can be a fresh beginning for newbie players as well as a check list for the more seasoned players when their game seems to be missing something. The problem can usually be traced back to a simple flaw in the player’s mechanics.

I’ve taught many students since 1987 and 98% of them I was able to help considerably, except for players that had time in the game and started with faulty fundamentals. They were simply not willing to go backwards a little to go forward a lot. Unfortunately, there were some players who were always on the brink of going to the next level (position play) but, because of inconsistency in their stroke; they were unable to achieve reproducible results.This is why sound fundamentals are so important. It lets the player have confidence in his natural abilities and not to over analyze each shot to the point that they lose their timing and tempo.

This will on the, [B]Pre-Shot Routine.[/B]

Doing it the same every time
Initially, the player should evaluate the current ball position and visualize the contemplated solution. Next, always use a consistent pre-shot routine. This allows the player to develop the stroke-rhythm; tempo and focus needed while simultaneously acquiring the shot alignment and target point for the cue ball. Photo1a.

Pre1a.jpg
Photo 1a

While approaching the table, cue in hand, using warm-up strokes as you move towards the table, establish your stance and commit to the visualized shot. Photo1b.

Pre1b.jpg
Photo1b

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Thanks alot bill, I had thought about suggesting to you since you have a book already for advanced or seasoned players

Why not start something for beginners and novices

Way to go thank you

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks alot bill, I had thought about suggesting to you since you have a book already for advanced or seasoned players

Why not start something for beginners and novices

Way to go thank you

These fundamentals are also in his Position Play book. Maybe you should buy it, there are things for all level of players?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
These fundamentals are also in his Position Play book. Maybe you should buy it, there are things for all level of players?

Theres just not enough for beginners, which is what I was when I bought it
I have it, basic things like preshot routine I've learned in lessons with Scott Lee
My fundamentals are flawed, probably always will be

But basic 3c is what I'm looking for
Day one things for the Pool converts

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Theres just not enough for beginners, which is what I was when I bought it
I have it, basic things like preshot routine I've learned in lessons with Scott Lee
My fundamentals are flawed, probably always will be

But basic 3c is what I'm looking for
Day one things for the Pool converts

Have you tried Harry Simms' "Key Shots"? It is a pamphlet and a poster but way out of print but gives you like 12 (or some #) of the basic shots in an easy to learn diagram. Also Bob Byrne's Standard Book of Billiards dedicates almost all of the back half on billiards, very good book.

If you like the idea of Harry's pamphlet, send me $10 and I'll take pictures of the complete book and send it to you.

Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bill thanks for the thread and future threads
for me improving fundamentals is a big reason my overall play is improving
the house is only as strong as its foundation so the saying goes
i appreciate you taking the time to teach on the forum....:).............:thumbup:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
bill thanks for the thread and future threads
for me improving fundamentals is a big reason my overall play is improving
the house is only as strong as its foundation so the saying goes
i appreciate you taking the time to teach on the forum....:).............:thumbup:

Thanks Larry for the props!

This is what I know how to do.