Cleaning table slate

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
been searching but cant find what I'm looking for. Have GC1 and doing a restore. My slate has stains and really thin bondo from the last guy that installed it all over the slate. My slate are pinned to each other and he had used bondo or what looks like bondo. Its been 14 yrs and when I removed the felt it is coming off and gritty feeling. He also mounted my slate on backwards to the legs so I am redoing that as well, but repainting also so removing the slate anyways. I have to scrape off the old bondo as it doesnt look like beeswax. Is it alright to use a wire wheel brush to lightly clean the slate? it just doesnt feel smooth at all anywhere on the surface. I can get a brass bristle wire wheel brush also.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
been searching but cant find what I'm looking for. Have GC1 and doing a restore. My slate has stains and really thin bondo from the last guy that installed it all over the slate. My slate are pinned to each other and he had used bondo or what looks like bondo. Its been 14 yrs and when I removed the felt it is coming off and gritty feeling. He also mounted my slate on backwards to the legs so I am redoing that as well, but repainting also so removing the slate anyways. I have to scrape off the old bondo as it doesnt look like beeswax. Is it alright to use a wire wheel brush to lightly clean the slate? it just doesnt feel smooth at all anywhere on the surface. I can get a brass bristle wire wheel brush also.
You don't have slate, you have Brunstone, which can't be ground smooth like slate is. There is no backwards to the leg pedestals in relation to how the slate is mounted.....so i have no idea what you're talking about on that one.

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
Backwards I guess is in relation to how the slate was mounted to the frame and where the original holes are for the ball return box. The installer had put it on incorrectly and had the counters on the head end.
I guess over time someone had used epoxy on the joints and this installer used bondo. Took me forever but finally got it all off. Cleaned the whole thing up really good then ran my hand over the entire table and got rid of any imperfections, there was small dots of epoxy stuck to the table. It's a wonder how we were ever able to play on this. The entire install was really bad now that I'm taking it all apart.