Cuephoric delivers

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
In August, I ran across two Centennials that I thought were a heck of a deal. One was in Illinois the other in Virgina. The other problem is I am in Ca, in a small apartment (now kinda wishing I kept my job/house in TX, it had room).

I contacted Shane (along with a few others) asking if he was in either area and willing to get one of the tables. He asked which one I wanted and I told him I was going to get both just needed to figure out how to get them delivered where I wanted them (currently PA). He said he was currently free and might have a few things to do in each place anyhow. So off he went from Texas to Illinois, delayed a little by a few rainstorms.

more to follow

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Illinois

In Illinois, Shane picked up this table for me. it was advertised as in a walk in basement. What wasn't mentioned was that the walk in part was on a hill around the side of the house, in wet grass.

Shane did what was necessary and finally got everything out. Also found out the center piece of slate was cracked in three pieces, so I called the seller (who was/is in Florida) and negotiated the price down.

Shane then moved it to Pa and dropped it off at my sisters. If you notice, the pedestals grain seems to be going the wrong direction - horizontal instead of vertical. It seems someone refinished the legs with wood grain contact paper. After dropping this off, Shane went to Virgina.

Next:

Attachments

• centennial2d.jpg
    centennial2d.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,293
  • centennial2b.jpg
    centennial2b.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,272

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Virginia

Shane picked up this table for me in Roanoke. It also had its problems. From what I remember, Shane told me he had to remove the door before he could get it out. The table was also missing the cross bracing members under the slates (which I still need to fix). As you can tell by the pictures, this table originally had a return system. This is the one I am trying to get the rail system for. Shane got this out and also delivered to PA. He then assembled this one in my sisters garage.

Attachments

• centennial1f.jpg
    centennial1f.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,289
  • centennial1c.jpg
    centennial1c.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,270
  • centennial1b.jpg
    centennial1b.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,290

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rails and pedestals from the first table are now being restored. It shouldn't be to hard as the wood was in good shape. Should be cheaper than the Anniversary I had done in TX, (less wood). When it is done, we'll do a swap out, set up the first one then restore the second one. When All is done I will decide which one I want to keep, if not both, then sell/raffle the other.

It all sounds simple when typing it out but Shane definitely ran into problems with each table and the logistics of getting to each table. He definitely (and literally) went out off his way to do the job.

As of today I have yet to see either of these tables. I need to find a place here with a room big enough.

Last edited:
Shane's a really good guy, I finally met him a few months back when I was in Texas....If your interested in having the sub-rails and cushions replaced and calibrated.....I would like to have the job if you need someone.
Don't want to take the job away from anyone.....but I do a lot of that kind of work on anniversaries and centennials.....Shane can drop them or you can send them.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Shane's a really good guy, I finally met him a few months back when I was in Texas....If your interested in having the sub-rails and cushions replaced and calibrated.....I would like to have the job if you need someone.
Don't want to take the job away from anyone.....but I do a lot of that kind of work on anniversaries and centennials.....Shane can drop them or you can send them.

I second that, Mark does jam up work on rails.

Glen

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
I just referred Shane to one of my best customers in Louisiana. Customer called and said he couldn't be happier. Shane is mechanic that knows how to take care of a customer.

Jay

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Also, Mark Gregory is the man on rebuilding rails. Glen just left my house, after seeing his tooling for re-calibration of rails, I told Glen his portable tooling does a better job than my fixed shop based tools. I know this because we were at my shop. We did the Gold Crown 3 rails off the back of Glen's truck, 10 ft in front of the door of my 5000 square ft shop.

Glen's tooling, system, and procedure gives the most exact and repeatable calibration I've seen. Amazingly he can do it all at the job site.

Mark's work is also outstanding, but he, like myself does most of the work in the woodworking shop.

I just remembered this is a thread about Shane Johnson.... Thanks again for your excellent work for Keith, for installing the Gold Crown 5 tournament edition, installing the Gold crown 3s with extended rails and really helping me out of a jam. Emerald Billiards is having a major Pro tournament this coming weekend. Again, thank you Shane for dropping all your work in Dallas to help out my customer.

Jay

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
update

before and after pictures of one of the tables:

Attachments

• centennial1c.jpg
    centennial1c.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,105
  • table 1.jpg
    table 1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • table 2.jpg
    table 2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,116

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job! That really looks good. The second table is older and from the first model run. I can tell by the absence of side pocket castings.
i bet the rail nut plates are three hole to boot. Those rails are most probably bowed and twisted. I believe that it was the reason Brunswick switched to a two piece long rail design. Mark Gregory did an outstanding job on my rails. I believe my table plays better than any in my area.

before and after pictures of one of the tables:

The looks of the Centennial's are truly amazing......I really like the look myself....Bob did and awesome refinishing job on his table....as well as cleaning the aluminum and castings....Your table looks awesome as well....I just pick up a 5 x 10 centennial snooker table.....I have to convert the table to a 5 x 10 pool table and refinish it.....maybe I'll show some pics of before and after when I'm done....that is if I remember to take the pics of the job....[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,078

goldcrown4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superb restoration! Centennials are just loaded with class. I've been debating about picking up another Anni to restore and sell, but I haven't seen it yet.

zumpa21

Registered
I recently found a Centennial and thought that an Anniversary would make a nice match but the table I found needed quite a bit of restoration so I passed. The price was right at $800 but the castings were a dark and dirty grey and the rails had a bad refinishing job.

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently found a Centennial and thought that an Anniversary would make a nice match but the table I found needed quite a bit of restoration so I passed. The price was right at $800 but the castings were a dark and dirty grey and the rails had a bad refinishing job.

Please clarify, did you find a Centennial for $800 or an Anniversary?

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
finally have the second table set up. Mark Gregory did the rails and refinishing on this one. He also made a stretcher for between the pedestals. Only took four years :)

Attachments

• centennial 1.jpg
    centennial 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 347
  • centennial 2.jpg
    centennial 2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 352
  • centennial 3.jpg
    centennial 3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 351

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would be happy if I only had to wait 4 years to get a table that looked that good. If Mark did the sub-rails I bet it plays even better than it looks. Beautiful table.