Missing rail inserts and replacing them

Sampwr

Registered
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I have a question regarding a used table I bought about 8 months ago. It's a 1950 something Europa brand 9 foot table. I bought it used and had new felt and bumpers installed by a place here in Miami. The same company installed it at my house. After a while a rail seemed slightly loose. After investigating, (please excuse what may be incorrect terminology) one of the rail bolts was slightly loose. I realized it wasn't the same as the others. The majority seemed to be a bolt with a dome shaped washer that go in a metal threaded insert implanted in the rail. This one looked like a regular lag bolt from Home Depot with some washers drilled at an angle to grab the wood. Is there some way to fix this or am I stuck with this type of setup. It's fine now but each time the screw gets messed with I'm nervous it will get worse. I'll attach a pic of the normal bolt and the make shift one. I'm hoping it's a easy fix even if i have to mail the rails out to someone.

94590c0522af295ba601bf96f1902b06.jpg

2a7638a66a445dcc507aedd6fbf7c59d.jpg

917e3716b7e056b3a96153f14222650b.jpg

JZMechanix

Silver Member
If it is indeed a lag screw, you'll probably never get it to stay tight. The proper fix would be to take the rail off and re-install a nice heavy duty threaded insert, then you can go back to using a regular rail bolt.

You can also get the dome crown washers from Muellers...

Attachments

• washer.JPG
    washer.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,563
Last edited:

Sampwr

Registered
Where would I be able to get a insert like that. As long as the surrounding wood isn't compromised it looks like a good solution

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

It's probably a captured insert<~ RKC has a great way to replace that type of insert with out having to take the rail apart.

Rob.M

ROB.M

Silver Member
Rob. What is RKC and which method is that?

-

I highly suggest you remove the half of the rail section, turn the rail over and take a pic of the bad insert and post it.
Most likely the insert is built into the rail during production of the table and will require what is considered sabotage by some to get the rail apart.
If you holler RKC real loud around here he'll probably hear you and stop in for a moment.<~ you gotta bait him with Popeyes chicken!

Rob.M

Sampwr

Registered
-

I highly suggest you remove the half of the rail section, turn the rail over and take a pic of the bad insert and post it.

Most likely the insert is built into the rail during production of the table and will require what is considered sabotage by some to get the rail apart.

If you holler RKC real loud around here he'll probably hear you and stop in for a moment.<~ you gotta bait him with Popeyes chicken!

Rob.M

I've always found Popeyes to be great bait. Later tonight I'll remove and flip it over and see what I'm working with and get some better pics.

ROB.M

Silver Member
Table

That spread looks great! If you had a few of these Dr Pepper chics to wash it down with that'd get you to the front of the line.

Rob.M

Sampwr

Registered
Bumping an older thread but finally got time to get the rails off and check it out further. I seem to have found the problem. It looks like the table uses floating nuts or t nuts. A few of them appear to be broken off almost level with the wood. I've tried backing them out but can't get good leverage.

One of them spins and spins when I get it with some pliers and the other won't spin at all I don't know if they are seized or cross threaded or what. I can't really use the hex insert posted before because he broken bolt is in the way. Any ideas on how I can get these out or get that hex insert in? Or is it time to take them to a professional and have it fixed.

On the last picture you can see a nut from a correct bolt.

Any idea on a cost for a job like this?

Thanks

c7853fd0eef5d69347f4cfbd1fc35830.jpg

37dddd8c1ac686821993d372f4985ed1.jpg

217ca7d23494245559d49592b40ce03b.jpg

9729b094617d758be546d99118cae631.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Bumping an older thread but finally got time to get the rails off and check it out further. I seem to have found the problem. It looks like the table uses floating nuts or t nuts. A few of them appear to be broken off almost level with the wood. I've tried backing them out but can't get good leverage.

One of them spins and spins when I get it with some pliers and the other won't spin at all I don't know if they are seized or cross threaded or what. I can't really use the hex insert posted before because he broken bolt is in the way. Any ideas on how I can get these out or get that hex insert in? Or is it time to take them to a professional and have it fixed.

On the last picture you can see a nut from a correct bolt.

Any idea on a cost for a job like this?

Thanks

c7853fd0eef5d69347f4cfbd1fc35830.jpg

37dddd8c1ac686821993d372f4985ed1.jpg

217ca7d23494245559d49592b40ce03b.jpg

9729b094617d758be546d99118cae631.jpg

How many bolts per rail?