Proceed With Caution On This Ebay TS Cue Sale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Joint collar......yes it is
Ferrules........yes it is
Butt cap......yes it is

So I assume it's ivory being moved out of California....gets tricky

But I really take offence at "Ferrules...yes it is....
...it should read "Ferrules.....yes they are

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dancing Cheek to Cheek

If one chooses to get out on the dance floor and they don't know the dance step, it is not their partner's fault.

Translated, some who is going to spend 2k for any cue better know what they're buying independent of the representations of the seller.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
What feel like a scam to you? The price?

There are a number of things that indicate that the actual owner of the eBay account has been hacked if you look at the previous items that have been sold by that seller they are for the most part small value items and were exclusively sold in Great Britain's currency

Now all of a sudden this account has a lot of high-dollar items and the seller is claiming to be in California and these new listings are all quick one or two day auctions for items that include this Tim Scruggs cue, a vintage Martin guitar, a Gibson Les Paul from 1961, etc, etc

In every auction there is the same instruction trying to get you to do a Buy It Now off eBay and he's providing a separate email for you to contact him. All of these items have the same $2350 off ebay buy it now instruction.

Then the final thing is that I recognized this Tim Scruggs cue it was owned by a good friend and az member. Also the value is higher than the $2350 this guy is asking to do a Buy It Now

Oh yeah one other thing that shows a hack is on is that if you are on this auction page and you click to see sellers other items it will show all these new short-term auctions that also appear to be scams but if you go to the accounts 'about me' page and click sellers other items there it will show the actual seller's three or four real items for sale which are again small value and priced using Great Britain's currency.

best,
brian. kc

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a number of things that indicate that the actual owner of the eBay account has been hacked if you look at the items that have been sold by that seller they are for the most part small value items and exclusively sold in Great Britain's currency

Now all of a sudden this account has a lot of high-dollar items and the sellers claiming to be in California and although these are quick one or two day auctions 4 items that include this Tim Scruggs cue a vintage Martin guitar a Gibson Les Paul from 1961 etcetera

In every auction there is the same instruction trying to get you to do a Buy It Now off eBay and he's providing a separate email for you to contact him

Then the final thing is that I recognized this Tim Scruggs cue it was owned by a friend float member. the value is higher than the $2350 this guy is asking to do a Buy It Now

Oh yeah one other thing that shows a hack is going on is that if you are on this auction page and you click to see sellers other items it will show all these other new short-term auctions that are also scams but if you go to the accounts about me page and click sellers other items there it will show the actual seller's three or four items which are again small value and priced in Great Britain's currency.

best,
brian. kc

And the backgrounds in the pictures of their other items are all in different places. Very odd.

Looks like a hijacked account.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a number of things that indicate that the actual owner of the eBay account has been hacked if you look at the previous items that have been sold by that seller they are for the most part small value items and were exclusively sold in Great Britain's currency

good call, I wouldn't have thought to look at those things.....

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
On the seller, I don't know, it's gone over above.

On the cue, it actually does look like a Scruggs cue... Except:

The rings on the joint collars and buttsleeve are much wider than most of Tim's cues, not that I've seen them all, but I've seen plenty. Also, no closeups of the points are shown, which tells a lot.

You make your own choice on this one... I would be suspicious.

All the best,
WW

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
It's a Scruggs. Classic cues owned it for a while than another
Azber owned it & had it listed on eBay but this
Does not seem legit to me either.

flipmo

Release The Kraken
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's up AZ. :thumbup:

Let's put this one to bed. Yes, this cue came from Classic Cues way back when and whom I have nothing but respect for, then ole Flipmo had it for a while and offered it up to another distinguished gentlemen who bought it without hesitation on eBay.

I'll also add that the current eBay seller is not the one who bought it from me neither.

Clearly, the eBay seller's account has been hacked. So approach this with caution.

P.S. I actually just chatted with the still current owner who loves this TS and enjoying it. Too bad the seller's account was hacked.

But the great thing is, it's still at a "happy home".

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let the buyer beware! As for me I would never buy a cue like this unless I could hold it in my hand first, or I personally knew the seller and knew for a fact that he was the one selling the cue. Too many scammers working the net these days. I had a good lesson years ago when a guy sent me a cashiers check for 14K to buy a SUV I had for sale. He said his buddy was going to come by the day I got the check to pick up the car.

I went to my bank to verify the check and they were reluctant at first since it looked so good. Finally I convinced them to call the bank it was drawn on. When they did we discovered there was no such account. The check was a total counterfeit, which I still have to this day as a reminder of what could have happened. I had some bad thoughts about luring his buddy to my house and rousting him good. In my wild impetuous youth I was known to not treat prospective thieves well. But I thought better of it and just ignored his calls.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Looks like the guy used only one of the shafts and is calling the cue in prestine condition. If you're willing to pay it then so what? His approval rating says 99%. What am I missing here?