Question for league players at your preferred poolhall

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often wonder this. I love in house leagues where you don't have to travel somewhere new each week, like another bar. The Focus is pool, not drinking. Where i am from one of the few poolhalls we have that I play in has had a league since they opened long long time ago.

The reason I ask is my wife and I often fantasize about selling our house and moving to a different climate since the Upper Midwest can kind of have some shitty winter weather sometimes. But I really will hate to miss out on the league at our pool hall which I really enjoy. Of course this won't dictate whether or not we move, I'll just miss it a lot.

* We play house rules, a slightly modified version of BCA (for 8-Ball the 8 counts on the break as a win)
* League goes; Summer 9-ball, Fall 8-ball, Spring 8-Ball
* There's a A league and a B league by choice
* Each league plays one night a week. Tues or Thurs.
* it's a 2 man league
* Coaching is allowed
* No jumping, no massè shots where cue is raised above the shoulder
* There's a handicap for 8 ball determined by 1st 3 weeks scores
* Tables are Gold Crown III Pro 8-ft
* 9-Ball is 12 games each (24 games a night)
* 8-Ball is 6 games each (12 games a night)
* There is no sub players allowed, but games can be made up when you miss a night.

Over all it's a great league with a lot of regular players and a lot of new ones that come and go.

What's your pool hall (not bar) league like?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often wonder this. I love in house leagues where you don't have to travel somewhere new each week, like another bar. The Focus is pool, not drinking. Where i am from one of the few poolhalls we have that I play in has had a league since they opened long long time ago.

The reason I ask is my wife and I often fantasize about selling our house and moving to a different climate since the Upper Midwest can kind of have some shitty winter weather sometimes. But I really will hate to miss out on the league at our pool hall which I really enjoy. Of course this won't dictate whether or not we move, I'll just miss it a lot.

* We play house rules, a slightly modified version of BCA (for 8-Ball the 8 counts on the break as a win)
* it's a 2 man league
* Coaching is allowed
* There is no sub players allowed, but games can be made up when you miss a night.

Over all it's a great league with a lot of regular players and a lot of new ones that come and go.

One local pool hall has something for just about any preference a.league player may have.

The largest in house apa league in the area on one night..

Apa travel.....money travel and usapl travel all on the same night

In house money leagues a couple nights a week...one on valleys and a couple on gold crowns.

I believe that also have a singles in house money league on gold crowns also.

Also a 9 ball tournament every week.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool halls and tournaments have a short life expectancy. I would be very careful using pool information to make the 2nd largest purchase of your life. Good luck in your choices.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool halls and tournaments have a short life expectancy. I would be very careful using pool information to make the 2nd largest purchase of your life. Good luck in your choices.

This.

Don't let it dictate an important life decisions for you and your family. Move where you want and make the pool you want happen wherever that is.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I left the cold gray skies of the Midwest for the blue skies of the American West in my early 20s and have never looked back. Of friends who envied the choice, but never left, they all had one thing in common, their wives would not leave the area due to family.

Sounds like you have the biggest hurdle down. I wish you luck in whatever choice the two of you decide.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a Monday night in-house 8 ball league at a pool/sports bar here in Wichita. The league has been operation for almost 20 years. I've played in it for around 15. For a while I was on 2nd shift and couldn't play. I also play in a VNEA/BCAPL traveling league on Wed nights. Seems like there is more drama in the traveling league - but I don't know why! Lots of places have FB pages that might give you more info.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From what I have read on this forum what time I have been on here your assessment seems pretty correct all.across the country.

Many times on here I have commented that issues concerning leagues seems to not hold true for my area.

Perhaps the same could be said concerning the longevity of pool halls in my area. I have been back into pool for 15 years and have been playing at the venue I mentioned above for that long. It still holds the same in house money leagues by the same person for at least that long. We also have a pool hall here that has been in the same place for 30 years that I have lived here and it has all diamonds and is open 24/7 .

We did have another one close down about 5 years ago but I attribute its closing to how it was ran.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, I would hardly dictate my new houses location based in what the local pool scene has.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a Monday night in-house 8 ball league at a pool/sports bar here in Wichita. The league has been operation for almost 20 years. I've played in it for around 15. For a while I was on 2nd shift and couldn't play. I also play in a VNEA/BCAPL traveling league on Wed nights. Seems like there is more drama in the traveling league - but I don't know why! Lots of places have FB pages that might give you more info.

Thanks. Yeah, I've palyed my fair share of traveling bar leagues. They were fun when I was younger. Nowadays the bar scene is just not for me.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
House rules should be thrown to the side of the road. It's confusing and distracting.

Everyone everywhere should be playing by the same rules.

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is just a game.
If pool is your life, I would recommend just buying a building and creating your own pool hall...thus...house league.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
This.

Don't let it dictate an important life decisions for you and your family. Move where you want and make the pool you want happen wherever that is.
I agree with this ALMOST completely. For a lot of us, pool is very important... even if it is a hobby, it is still important. With that being said, there is no way I would every move FOR pool, but when moving, I'll be damned if pool is going to be practically non-existent where I move too.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

* it's a 2 man league

* Coaching is allowed

I think a lot of Federal Correctional Institutions have pool tables. Bahahahahahaha.