Gold Crown 1 Restoration project

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
Got my questions semi answered and have done a ton of research so I'm digging in. A little background, bought this Brunswick Gold Crown 1 16yrs ago for $250. It had black skirting and cream color legs which I thought was original color. Come to find out it wasn't and after some sanding I'm guessing it was blue skirts with white legs originally. Neither myself nor my wife like any of the original colors (gold, tangerine, white and light blue) so we've decided a different color. Also this has adjustable feet which I've only seen the gc1 didn't have adjustable feet so who knows what was done to this prior to me.
Found out the rubber had already been changed one time to Brunswick superspeeds that apparently was part of the bad batch back in the day (the rubber is hard as rocks).
Right now we're replacing the bumpers with new superspeeds (better rubber), felt (proform steel grey), plastic pockets, all new hardware which is precisely like original, new decal for spreader. Polishing up all the corners and feet. Think I'm leaving the 4 ashtrays as is.

Haven't really decided on colors just yet but the more I sand the more we're liking natural wood color. Once I get it all sanded I'll set it up to see how it looks.

Will be posting up progress pics as I go. Here's before and during!

I will be doing all the work of leveling, putting on the rubber and re-felting. I am mechanically inclined and anal about making sure everything is just right. Used to build helicopters so you kind of have to be anal.

p.s. yes i know the counter is on the wrong end of the table now, the installer put it on wrong and always wondered that but didnt think too much of it. Its all going back correctly when I put it back together. The more I took the table apart the more i realized the installer did a crappy job.

Attachments

• 0417171632a.jpg
    0417171632a.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 3,410
  • 0417171632b.jpg
    0417171632b.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 2,570
  • 0417171632.jpg
    0417171632.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 2,524
  • 0417172222a.jpg
    0417172222a.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 2,232
  • 0417172226a.jpg
    0417172226a.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 2,239
Last edited:

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
The joints on the table were a pain to clean up. Somewhere down the line someone used epoxy and this past installer used bondo. Table wasnt level and neither were the slates (brunstone). The bondo was coming apart and the table was pretty dirty under the felt. All kinds of little spots of epoxy everywhere its a wonder we were even able to play. Got all of it off so hopefully it will go smoothly trying to get it all level.

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
Where I'm currently at on the project.

The wood actually looks pretty nice

The feet and corners turned out nice after some polishing

New parts goodies arrived, Proform Steel Grey Cloth, Superspeed rubber, feather boards, facings, spots, wax, decal, pockets, shim material (also going to use playing cards), chalk and even sand blasted the adj feet barrels.

This is what started this whole project anyways! Old hard (very hard) rubber. I believe I could use these as a weapon!!

Last edited:

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
ok, finally got the table done. Heres some final working pics and final overall pics.

Getting ready for paint after we finally decided on a color

All painted and might of had the coating on already.

Getting the frame and base leveled with a 4' level and digital level.

New Decal

Cloth on and tools I used. Yes hammer because I had to hammer the staples all the way in because my stapler didnt have enough ummmhhh behind it. Screwdriver to pull staples I didn't like and a sheetmetal pliers to grab the cloth and help stretch it.

One of my corners after I figured it out finally on the last one LOL Not too shabby for my first table and still could use some practice.

All the pockets done

Removing old glue from rails

New bumpers glued, waited 24hrs before I cut the corners.

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
We started this project with the intention of just replacing the felt and bumpers and it was going to cost us $750 plus I had to take off the rails and drive 1 1/2hrs round trip to take them to him. That was just for basic rubber and standard felt.

Pros: After all said and done I'm under $700 and I know this table in and out. I have upgraded bumpers, really good cloth (proform), and replaced a lot of stuff. All new hardware, rubber pockets, facings, featherstrips and learned a ton.

Cons: It took me a little over 3 weeks but I am really attentive to details and one thing led to another during this project. Wished I would have bought new slate screws (old ones were slotted and wore out). I need new balls now (dont clean them with Purple Power, it dulls them really bad), good thing there only walmart brand ( I waxed them which helped some but not enough). Bought a few things I didnt need (glue spray, leveling wedges (I ended up using playing cards).

In the future I am going to send out the rails and have them calibrated as the newer superspeeds are 1/16" wider than the older ones so it leaves the table 1/8" short all the way around. I cant just move the rails out as the corners bolt up and wont allow them to get wider. Also the pockets are too wide for my liking and would like to have them shortened to 4 1/2". Just dont know how much that would cost, I need to find out to start saving the money. Hope you all enjoy the pics and hope this helps someone.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, nice work. Thanks for sharing. How did you paint end up painting table? What kind of paint?

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is incredible! What a great job. I think may favorite thing about this is the ashtrays built into the pool table. I kept looking at it and was " Is that for quarters? What is that". Then it dawned on me it was ashtrays.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The wood actually looks pretty nice

The feet and corners turned out nice after some polishing

New parts goodies arrived, Proform Steel Grey Cloth, Superspeed rubber, feather boards, facings, spots, wax, decal, pockets, shim material (also going to use playing cards), chalk and even sand blasted the adj feet barrels.

This is what started this whole project anyways! Old hard (very hard) rubber. I believe I could use these as a weapon!!
That cushion you're holding up is not original to the rails just so you're aware.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

0426172258_zpsdiwnuvi6.jpg
[/URL]

Great job.
Damn, it's a shame Super Speed was subcontracted to a bad factory in China.
I wish they stayed in the states.

GC1 had Monarch cushions. My GC2 had them too. I wished i could have kept them but they were coming off and the pocket openings were bowling alley size.
They were actually still bouncy after 3 decades or so.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks real nice. I would have had the rail recalibrated first while the table was apart.

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
Wow, nice work. Thanks for sharing. How did you paint end up painting table? What kind of paint?

Thanks, just used paint brush. Was planning on spray on paint but just really didnt want to spend the money on getting it done. Bought the best primer and paint Lowes had and glad I did. It looks great.

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
That cushion you're holding up is not original to the rails just so you're aware.

In my research this is actually a GC II which did come with Superspeeds. The old ones I took off were correct size. The new ones were 1/16" wider which makes the table smaller. Mine has adjustable feet and hidden nut, not figure 8 for the rails. Everything tells me GCII. But I could be wrong as I have been in the past LOL. I'm pretty sure you know more about these than I do.

Last edited:

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
Looks real nice. I would have had the rail recalibrated first while the table was apart.

Yeah, I wished I would have known about this before I started the project. I was still in the learning phase and also didnt have the money to have them sent out and done properly. But as soon as I find out the cost I will sill start saving money and have them done properly. That is in the plans.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I wished I would have known about this before I started the project. I was still in the learning phase and also didnt have the money to have them sent out and done properly. But as soon as I find out the cost I will sill start saving money and have them done properly. That is in the plans.

JZMECHANIX is not to far from you

Camoxjeep

Gold Crown I
JZMECHANIX is not to far from you

Yep, I got a hold of him yesterday and he got back to me this morning. I forgot I talked to him back when I was in the process of taking it apart but didnt get into calibrating the rails. But I def will when i have the cash saved up because I will have to get new bumpers, feather boards, felt and have the wood replaced as some of it is starting to get bad on the rails.