One Piece VS Jointed Cue

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy I know & a good player always uses a one piece cue. I asked him why & he stated that no matter what joint is used it will have a small amount of play in the joint when shot hard. Anyone know if this is true?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the difference would be inconsequential.

this isn't common in the pool world, but in snooker, 1 piece cues are more common and preferred by many players. though it is a pain to transport as you can imagine. it's not really an issue of hard hits and play in the joint though, its just that some think that it has better feedback.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy I know & a good player always uses a one piece cue. I asked him why & he stated that no matter what joint is used it will have a small amount of play in the joint when shot hard. Anyone know if this is true?

TRUE

any joint will divide the surface tension.a two piece cue can come close but will never be the same as a one piece.

bill

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TRUE

any joint will divide the surface tension.a two piece cue can come close but will never be the same as a one piece.

bill

Good! If I thought my cues played like a house cue I would quit building cues.

Dick

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dick

Not trying to start a War here but, some background info is needed here. He was a former Snooker player from England. He plays Pool now & hits em straight & solid. The guy is quite good I am guessing APA 6-7 ? Just a guess. He can run the table if everything is right with the object balls. He will miss now & then but, not often. He is better than I ever hope to be! JMO

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Not trying to start a War here but, some background info is needed here. He was a former Snooker player from England. He plays Pool now & hits em straight & solid. The guy is quite good I am guessing APA 6-7 ? Just a guess. He can run the table if everything is right with the object balls. He will miss now & then but, not often. He is better than I ever hope to be! JMO

That's the real reason he prefers a one piece cue. Some snooker players like to use them... I don't think they are so popular (if at all) among pool or carom players though.
I don't believe a jointed cue is any worse (quite the opposite) than a one piece cue either; maybe these players prefer the balance of the cue without a joint? :confused: no idea

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dick

I like that.

there wont be any war,a house cue and a custom are two differant animals with differant goals.

bill

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not starting any war as he can like or dislike any cue he likes but I think you missed the message that he presented and what I said. He said that no 2 piece cue feels exactly the same as a one piece. I never disagreed with that statement. What he feels about cues has absolutely nothing to do with the hit or feel I am trying to accomplish in the cues I build. He may like a house cues hit and feel - I don't. By the way, I was a 7 for over 20 years and I have run 1000's of racks. That doesn't mean a thing as far as making another like the way they feel about the hit of my cues nor vice/versus.

Dick

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not starting any war as he can like or dislike any cue he likes but I think you missed the message that he presented and what I said. He said that no 2 piece cue feels exactly the same as a one piece. I never disagreed with that statement. What he feels about cues has absolutely nothing to do with the hit or feel I am trying to accomplish in the cues I build. He may like a house cues hit and feel - I don't. By the way, I was a 7 for over 20 years and I have run 1000's of racks. That doesn't mean a thing as far as making another like the way they feel about the hit of my cues nor vice/versus.

Dick

I guess he is more in the comfort zone with a one piece cue. I guess to each his own. I use a two piece cue myself but, he knocks me out everytime with the one piece cue jmo. I am not that great though!:eek:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

Dick

I agree 100%! I think that is the most ridiculous urban legend going when it comes to pool. Do any of you really think the pro's would be using 2 piece cues if they though it had ANY detrimental effect? Of course not. I'm not saying there aren't some good house cues out there, but for the most part, they're no comparison to a good custom cue! The technology today in cue building is so far advanced to the one piece house cue it's just ridiculous to think that the house cue is a better choice. JMHO of course, but it's based on over 25 years building cues.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I agree 100%! I think that is the most ridiculous urban legend going when it comes to pool. Do any of you really think the pro's would be using 2 piece cues if they though it had ANY detrimental effect? Of course not. I'm not saying there aren't some good house cues out there, but for the most part, they're no comparison to a good custom cue! The technology today in cue building is so far advanced to the one piece house cue it's just ridiculous to think that the house cue is a better choice. JMHO of course, but it's based on over 25 years building cues.

So is it fair to say that house cues are not built with performance in mind as are 2 piece customs ? In general I cannot see how simply adding a joint would improve the cue (other than for it's original purpose to make the cue more easily transportable), there must be something else (taper, ferrule design/material, etc) that makes them better. If that is the case then a one piece cue might be made with better performance designed in.

Dave

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
One piece

I know when I put my first cue toether I wanted it to feel like a house cue, but not play like one. I love the solid hit of a one piece. But I like the way a custom taper plays, better.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

I think a lot of good play come from OLD WOOD...THINK TWO WORDS!!!

TITLIST CONVERSION:thumbup:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
So is it fair to say that house cues are not built with performance in mind as are 2 piece customs ? In general I cannot see how simply adding a joint would improve the cue (other than for it's original purpose to make the cue more easily transportable), there must be something else (taper, ferrule design/material, etc) that makes them better. If that is the case then a one piece cue might be made with better performance designed in.

Dave

It's not simply adding a joint that makes the difference. It's all the things you mentioned above, plus the fact that the balance can be controlled better when you make a cue from scratch and the construction techniques are such that you have many more options, not just in the cosmetics but also the adhesives and materials used, the butt and shaft tapers etc... Unless you're making the one piece cues from scratch, which I know of no custom cuemakers doing, you can't get the options and quality materials that have never been used in house cues. One piece house cues have always been the cheapest cues available. There's a reason for that! The old Titlists are sometimes an exception to this rule, but they are usually "converted" and often have maple handles under the wraps and when it's cut up to make the conversion, the cuemaker has ways of improving the performance over a one piece cue. I know the "old growth wood" in the old cues can be better, but often the adhesives break down and that can easily outweigh the benefit of the old wood.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
It's not simply adding a joint that makes the difference. It's all the things you mentioned above, plus the fact that the balance can be controlled better when you make a cue from scratch and the construction techniques are such that you have many more options, not just in the cosmetics but also the adhesives and materials used, the butt and shaft tapers etc... Unless you're making the one piece cues from scratch, which I know of no custom cuemakers doing, you can't get the options and quality materials that have never been used in house cues. One piece house cues have always been the cheapest cues available. There's a reason for that! The old Titlists are sometimes an exception to this rule, but they are usually "converted" and often have maple handles under the wraps and when it's cut up to make the conversion, the cuemaker has ways of improving the performance over a one piece cue. I know the "old growth wood" in the old cues can be better, but often the adhesives break down and that can easily outweigh the benefit of the old wood.

Thanks for the reply Sherm. I guess my question was about a theoretical one piece cue as opposed to the ubiquitous "house cue". I would never look for a high performance cue to hit like a house cue.

There are quite a few one piece custom snooker cue makers, perhaps the OPs general question could be better answered by snooker players who may have experience with one-piece, two-piece (the even-split cue), and even their also common 3/4-cue (long shaft, short butt). As you say there are no custom one-piece pool cue makers.

Dave

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is why there has been alot done to the design and thread form types and the percentage amount of thread engagement for the cue joint.
I like the fine pitched threads, as they mechanicaly hold the two pieces together tighter for the same torque amount.
As far as movement in the joint, there is no movement untill the load exceedes the friction or the elastic point of what ever is holding it together.
So if the jointed faces are held together with a force of 200 N, if you try pulling it apart with 100 N, nothing will happen.If you apply a force of 250N,the joint will pull apart by the distance that 50N stretches the materials involved.

Most likely, your friend has a cue that they are used to ,and that is his reason for not wanting to change.

Wity

Banned
One piece cues are probably more popular here in the uk now than 3/4 ones and the 50-50 cues are not wanted by anyone nowadays other than for a tomatoe plant stick in the greenhouse or as i use mine for: shutting the curtains.

Whatever the cueist game is there is no advantage of one over another it's just a preference thing a good cues a good cue and a bad uns firewood.
Thing is as demand for a 50-50 cue is next to nill those that do still make them rarely use quality materials so getting a decent one means a custom job.

Most one piece users will argue they get better feedback having the one piece of wood from tip to butt and splices added to it rather than the modern 3/4 cue which is often made as a two piece but if true theres few of them i reckon that could tell blindfold two cues of identical spec apart.