Kamui med vs. Kamui BLACK med

kasparovII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui Tips

Coincidentally I just received an email from Kamui on this exact topic. My question was to ask about any specific differences in the standard vs.the black tips. I aksed if I play a Moori III medium my understanding was that I should go to the medium/soft Kamui. This was verified by Kamui. I also asked that since Kamui did not offer a medium/soft black tip, which would play like a MooriIII medium. Their answer was to go with a Kamui black soft tip.
As an aside to this, I have really liked MooriIII's in medium but had a standard Kamui medium tip installed on a 314/2 Predator shaft just to experiment. And the standard Kamui medium did, in fact, play like just about everyone elses hard tip. I also preferred the MooriIII feel compared to the Kamui medium. This also translated to the actual sound. The MooriIII medium has a more muted sound than it's Kamui counterpart. So, while I am still very pleased with my usual MooriIII medium, I'm always looking for an upgrade. As luck would have it, last night I bumped into a player who had just installed a Kamui black soft tip. He had it on an OB-1 shaft, so it wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison, but I really liked the Kamui black soft tip alot better than the original Kamui medium tip...so much so that I've ordered one and will install it on my Predator shaft to see if I prefer it to the MooriIII medium. The Kamui black / soft had none of the almost metallic hit/sound that turned me off with the standard Kamui and it seemed to "grip" the cueball better than anything I've played.... English was effortless, especially on long draw shots. Both the MooriIII medium and the Kamui black soft are great tips. But right now the soft Kamui black may end up being my favorite tip.

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told by someone who installs these tips that the blacks don't increase in hardness with humidity...better consistency throughout the life of the tip. I don't know- I am using the brown medium and it is a good tip.

monchiwai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried both before and my conclusion is BLACK is harder than normal Kamui...
Black S = normal M
Black M = normal H

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically the same as above.

The black is about one level harder than the brown counterpart. Meaning a brown Hard and a Black Medium are going to feel *similar*.

As far as feel goes, I really like the Black's. The browns freel a little dead to me. You can hear it in the sound as well. The brown is more of a thud, where the black is more of ping.

In terms of grip the black is awesome. I started out with a black Super Soft, and hated it. I switched to a Black Medium and thought it was perfect, but I wanted to go a notch harder just in case. I tried a Black Hard, but it's a little too hard for my taste, so I'm switching back to the Mediums on my new playing cue, and I don't think I'll be switching any time in the near future.

Finally as someone mentioned, the Black's will hold their shape (and feel) far better than a brown. Browns tend to get harder, quicker. I don't really notice a change in feel with the black.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Cueballdg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You for all who gave input.

I really appreciate the input by all.
It sounds like I will be giving the Kamui black Med a try.
I am shooting with a hard sumo right now but it is just a tad too hard.

Cueballdg

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using the Kamui Black S and I like it more then the brown ones.

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really appreciate the input by all.
It sounds like I will be giving the Kamui black Med a try.
I am shooting with a hard sumo right now but it is just a tad too hard.

Cueballdg

Great Choice... If you like the hard style tip.. Starting with the Kamui Black Medium is the wisest place to start. If the KBM is not hard enough... The KBH will be the perfect choice.

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried both before and my conclusion is BLACK is harder than normal Kamui...
Black S = normal M
Black M = normal H

Lemme help with the hardness "feel" rundown from softest to hardest.

KBSS->KIIS->KBS(=)KIIMS->KIIM(=)KBM->KIIH->KBH

(->) = "Is softer than"

(=) = "Is generally softer or the same as when the WEATHER and HUMIDITY is right"

Remember - The Kamui Black is humidity resistant so when comparing to other tips... VERY HARD TO DO.

I hope this helps.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Lemme help with the hardness "feel" rundown from softest to hardest.

KBSS->KIIS->KBS(=)KIIMS->KIIM(=)KBM->KIIH->KBH

(->) = "Is softer than"

(=) = "Is generally softer or the same as when the WEATHER and HUMIDITY is right"

Remember - The Kamui Black is humidity resistant so when comparing to other tips... VERY HARD TO DO.

I hope this helps.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Happy New Year to you John.

samnvb

Registered
Kamui tip size?

happy new everyone!!!

i just purchased a couple of the black ss tips and just wondering what everyone thinks about the size and how large they are and if you have given any thought to cutting them in half?

thanks in advance

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidentally I just received an email from Kamui on this exact topic. My question was to ask about any specific differences in the standard vs.the black tips. I aksed if I play a Moori III medium my understanding was that I should go to the medium/soft Kamui. This was verified by Kamui. I also asked that since Kamui did not offer a medium/soft black tip, which would play like a MooriIII medium. Their answer was to go with a Kamui black soft tip.
As an aside to this, I have really liked MooriIII's in medium but had a standard Kamui medium tip installed on a 314/2 Predator shaft just to experiment. And the standard Kamui medium did, in fact, play like just about everyone elses hard tip. I also preferred the MooriIII feel compared to the Kamui medium. This also translated to the actual sound. The MooriIII medium has a more muted sound than it's Kamui counterpart. So, while I am still very pleased with my usual MooriIII medium, I'm always looking for an upgrade. As luck would have it, last night I bumped into a player who had just installed a Kamui black soft tip. He had it on an OB-1 shaft, so it wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison, but I really liked the Kamui black soft tip alot better than the original Kamui medium tip...so much so that I've ordered one and will install it on my Predator shaft to see if I prefer it to the MooriIII medium. The Kamui black / soft had none of the almost metallic hit/sound that turned me off with the standard Kamui and it seemed to "grip" the cueball better than anything I've played.... English was effortless, especially on long draw shots. Both the MooriIII medium and the Kamui black soft are great tips. But right now the soft Kamui black may end up being my favorite tip.

I think that you should remember the OB factor in your testing.
Comparing against the Pred would most likely give you the same conclusion
independent of the tip... The lack of "ping" sound and effortless english is
what all my customer comes back and report when they have switched from
their Pred's - to the OB shafts.

Anyway, the Kamui Black has really taken off here in my end and a lot switch
from the Moori to Kamui.
But as usual, it's a matter of taste and flavor for the game.. :)

K

kasparovII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kamui black soft vs. moori medium

Hey Newton,
Thanks for the good info. As I said earlier, I tried a KB S on an OB shaft and liked it, and I like to experiment....so I purchased the KB S and with a little reluctance replaced my almost new MIII Med. w/ the KB S on my Pechauer/314-2 knock around. And after being very satisfied w/ the MIII Med., I can say that the KB S on the 314-2 is THE BEST tip I've ever played.

In a phone call w/ the Kamui tech guy (very knowledgable), he said that I would experience a very slightly softer tip than the Moori III Med. that would pay dividends in the following areas:
1) Very slightly softer than MII Med.
2) Better sound / feel than the regular Kamui's that turned me off.
3) Considerably better "grip" w/ the KB S (which kamui states = less deflection/squirt)

He was spot on w/ all three claims. I've had a couple of custom cues through the years (Prather, Coker) and some good production cues ( Schon STL9, Predator 4K3, a couple of older Meuccis before the "dot" buggy whips). And this Pechauer Pro Series butt / 314-2 w/the Kamui is, by far the best cue from a pure playability standpoint I've owned...great balance, hits a ton and now with this latest Kamui "tweak" it even has a really decent hit for a piloted laminated shaft / steel "speed" joint. I've been putting together some specs for a custom cue and have a few makers in mind, but this "production" cue is going to be really tough to beat as far as performance goes.
But thanks again for the info you provided, man...it's much appreciated.

KIII

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Razer blade will help (If ya have anyfeeelings in your hands,fingers

You guys kill me sometimes- there is a (hardness tester) every tip gets a number!! Someone like Seberts may posts hardness ratings(numbers) in catalog. For all tips. moori ,kamui etc otherwise ask the cue repair guys at the pro tournaments, They have the tips separated by the hardness number. Guido has his all done- he will be at the derby- mark

DrOnePocket

Banned
Hi all AZ community
Any difference between the 2 tips.

Thanks

I preferred the hit and feel of the Kamuii 2 medium OVER the feel of the Kamuii Black Medium. Not exactly sure how to describe the difference, but it felt more solid and consistent to me

Hope this helps

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
You guys kill me sometimes- there is a (hardness tester) every tip gets a number!! Someone like Seberts may posts hardness ratings(numbers) in catalog. For all tips. moori ,kamui etc otherwise ask the cue repair guys at the pro tournaments, They have the tips separated by the hardness number. Guido has his all done- he will be at the derby- mark

The hardness ratings are NOT meant to differentiate between tips of the same type, it is meant to differentiate from tip type to tip type. Measuring a tip, especially a one layered compressed tip, is worthless until it has been broke in. I should know. I was the one who did all the testing for Muellers. It takes many tips of each kind to form the rating.

Iowa Cues

Registered
I agree with all that was posted here regading Kamui Tips. They are great tips! Mika Immonen won the 2009 US OPEN 9-Ball Championship with a Kamui Black Soft tip on his cue.

madfox

I love pool ...
Silver Member
happy new everyone!!!

i just purchased a couple of the black ss tips and just wondering what everyone thinks about the size and how large they are and if you have given any thought to cutting them in half?

thanks in advance

I have a friend that did it, but for my taste is too short. Please be careful when cutting, you can delaminate a tip if the blade is not sharp.

About the tips, I would say the black grabs the cue ball better and feels better, holds longer ... I had kamui II med and I miscued , but the black med is very nice. Right now I am playing with SS and I like it very much: feel, control,action.