Shane calls a foul on himself

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Classy

Good job Shane. Rules are rules and we should all abide by them, whether it be rules of the game or what leads up to playing the game. ;);)

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Shane is a great player and a true gentleman but it may have been a little more impressive if he had been a bit more modest and just let others toot his horn, IMHO.

From Shane on Facebook:

Shane VanBoening feeling emotional
October 29 at 12:23pm · Edited ·

I'm out of the U.S. Open. I just got beat by Corey. Down 10-9 and called a foul on myself for bumping the 9 with the bridge (no one saw me do it). Ball in hand for Corey and he runs out. Going to Steinway in a couple days, overseas to Russia, and then Asia.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane is a great player and a true gentleman but it may have been a little more impressive if he had been a bit more modest and just let others toot his horn, IMHO.

From Shane on Facebook:

Shane VanBoening feeling emotional
October 29 at 12:23pm · Edited ·

I'm out of the U.S. Open. I just got beat by Corey. Down 10-9 and called a foul on myself for bumping the 9 with the bridge (no one saw me do it). Ball in hand for Corey and he runs out. Going to Steinway in a couple days, overseas to Russia, and then Asia.

I was the referee on the floor when this foul occurred.
I saw Shane place the bridge on the table, preparing to play a safety.
The bridge was lying on the center of table close to the 9-ball.
Shane was figuring out how to play the best safety off the far short rail.
Just then, a dispute broke out on the next table.
Dechaine claimed that Dennis Grabe committed a foul.
It took a while for me to settle that dispute, by the way, in Dechaine's favor.
Then, SVB came over to me and asked me if the rules are all ball fouls.
I replied , "yes, of course."
I thought that Corey had committed a foul that I couldn't have seen because of the Dechaine/Grabe ruckus.
Imagine my surprise when Shane called the foul on himself!
The bridge touched the 9-ball and I don't think that anyone but Shane saw it happen.
Corey told me that he didn't see it.
Those of you who think Shane was tooting his own horn for being honest, please stop that nonsense.
Shane is not only a great player, he is a classy guy.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Shane is not only a great player, he is a classy guy.

And, in my opinion, in this specific instance, he would have been even more classy with a touch of humility.

I was raised to admire and appreciate humility in all aspects of life. Perhaps this virtue is not as valued by younger generations.

Lance1977

Registered
And, in my opinion, in this specific instance, he would have been even more classy with a touch of humility.

I was raised to admire and appreciate humility in all aspects of life. Perhaps this virtue is not as valued by younger generations.

Maybe it was less tooting his own horn and just seeking reassurance for a decision that despite knowing it was right, he could have still been struggling with after the fact. I was raised to feel compassion and have empathy for those in difficult situations. It's all conjecture from me, and i'm talking out of my ass i know, but i would totally understand him second guessing himself, questioning his own choice, and wanting support from his fans that He did the right thing. Just a thought.

Lance

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for him!
I am really impressed by Jay not giving in to Barrys bs, and Shane and Oscar someone else said, calling fouls on themselves.
If there was anyone else with exemplary behavior there, I would like to hear all about it.
I am so tired of all the cheating, scams , bs always going on.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Maybe it was less tooting his own horn and just seeking reassurance for a decision that despite knowing it was right, he could have still been struggling with after the fact. I was raised to feel compassion and have empathy for those in difficult situations. It's all conjecture from me, and i'm talking out of my ass i know, but i would totally understand him second guessing himself, questioning his own choice, and wanting support from his fans that He did the right thing. Just a thought.

Lance

I appreciate your opinion and you maybe absolutely correct. I'm sure it was a tough loss for him and he was still dealing with it when he posted.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Maybe it was less tooting his own horn and just seeking reassurance for a decision...
Whatever his thinking, it's a good example to set and I'm glad to see him setting it publicly. Pool needs more (and more public) examples of classy behavior - if all the pros started doing it just for the PR I wouldn't complain (and neither would their wallets in the long run).

Good move at the tourney and on FB, Shane. Both advanced pool.

pj
chgo