Bad Etiquette?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Do something else instead. Seriously.
Seriously?

Being an ambassador to the game that you enjoy does take a little bit of effort. The effort required is well worth the investment when you see new players started out on the right foot. Demonstrating care for the equipment is a good place to start. This should be done whether you play off the wall or bring your own. This extends to all equipment and not just cues.

Playing with your friends is an opportunity for you to show them what you enjoy about the game. So showing and explaining why you have personal cues is not that big a task. Sharing is not required. If they are true neophytes they probably would prefer to play off the wall after you explain the care and feeding of a $1200 cue.:grin:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife and I are pretty avid pool players, We both own our own cues.
We are going to play pool with another couple that are not as interested in pool as we are, they play casually, and don't own their own sticks.
When we go to play with them, should we bring our cues, or would we be showing off or intimidating them?

If you would normally bring you cues, then bring them. If they cant handle that they are not your friends anyway. Dont "show off" be humble about it, and make sure they have a good time....

most likely they dont know the difference between house cues and customs cues anyway, and wont care....

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried to give a greenie to Tramp for his story, but it was rejected until I spread more around. How can I? Tramp Steamer is the only poster here that makes me spit coffee on my keyboard.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't pass your cue on. If you think it's going to be awkward leave it home. I let some one take few shots with a new 314-2 and it got cratered.
Yes take the cues if want to...but if you feel they might ask to use them...simply leave it home.
It is bad etiquette for a person to ask to use others equipment...but then again.
Regardless have fun. Rotate partners, play Scotch Doubles. Don't destroy them. Let them shoot and enjoy the evening.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tried to give a greenie to Tramp for his story, but it was rejected until I spread more around. How can I? Tramp Steamer is the only poster here that makes me spit coffee on my keyboard.

Worse than spilling coffee? Tramp caused me to drop an egg salad sandwich on my
keyboard.....twice!.....it was on caraway rye....:crying:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?

Being an ambassador to the game that you enjoy does take a little bit of effort. The effort required is well worth the investment when you see new players started out on the right foot. Demonstrating care for the equipment is a good place to start. This should be done whether you play off the wall or bring your own. This extends to all equipment and not just cues.

Playing with your friends is an opportunity for you to show them what you enjoy about the game. So showing and explaining why you have personal cues is not that big a task. Sharing is not required. If they are true neophytes they probably would prefer to play off the wall after you explain the care and feeding of a $1200 cue.:grin:

Not on a couples date. Someone will feel uncomfortable.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
My wife and I are pretty avid pool players, we play at least once a week. sometimes more.

We both own our own cues.

We are going to play pool with another couple that are not as interested in pool as we are, they play casually, and don't own their own sticks.

When we go to play with them, should we bring our cues, or would we be showing off or intimidating them?

Should we just use the house cues, as they will do?

Take your cues, let them try them out and entice them to want to buy their own. I think it would only encourage them to want to play more pool

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never really liked playing with beginners, even if they were friends, but sometimes you are in a social situation where you are expected to play. Even if I haven't played in some time, I bear down and play my best because they want to see if you really are any good. I always liked that part, a little extra pressure to prove yourself even after having played the game for decades. It's good for you. :thumbup:

PoppaSaun

Banned
These must be some great friends if you are asking a forum full of strangers instead of asking them.

If I go out with friends to play pool, I let them use my cues. Why shouldn't I? If they are a friend, that means that I know and agree with their sensibilities in regard to other people's property.

If someone is uncomfortable because I bring my cue, it's on them and their insecurities.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These must be some great friends if you are asking a forum full of strangers instead of asking them.

If I go out with friends to play pool, I let them use my cues. Why shouldn't I? If they are a friend, that means that I know and agree with their sensibilities in regard to other people's property.

If someone is uncomfortable because I bring my cue, it's on them and their insecurities.

Good answer

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I never let anybody use my cue, even players. Just not a good idea. Hitting a few balls to see how it feels may be okay, but that's about it. Weird thing when you loan your cue out. It never comes back exactly the way you loaned it to them. When you find a little nick on the shaft, they are always surprised at how that could have happened. :cool:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You think all this is funnier than hell and collapse to the floor laughing your ass off. Meanwhile the wives have got all up into each other's face and begin slap fighting.
As they roll around on the floor they start tearing at each others clothes. The guy that was sitting next to you stops pounding your friend and he, your friend, and you, all gather around the cat fight hoping that one of the ladies will accidentally kiss the other one. I've seen this shit before.
Finally, the girls are exhausted and quit. No kisses have been exchanged, nor were any bras torn asunder. All in all, a pretty poor display on how women are supposed to fight.
Everyone then calls it a night. Your pal exchanges phone numbers with the guy in the next booth. Something about playing pool next week. You and your wife head home trying to remember the name of a local cue smith.
Come to think on it, maybe you should call up and cancel. :smile:

I wish I had the opportunity to hang out with Tramp, he not only had this experience but it was not the first time!!!!:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but sometimes you are in a social situation where you are expected to play.

I bear down and play my best because they want to see if you really are any good.

I kinda disagree. Most beginners cant tell the difference between an AAA player and a C- player. They dont watch Efren you-tube videos all day, like we do.

They mainly want to have fun and compete. The wife and I played pool with another couple we were visiting (they had a table) the other's guys wife actually beat me one game of 8-ball, and she was jumping up and down with joy. She is probably still happy about that to this day. This tells me beginners wanna see THEMSELVES have fun (and maybe win), they dont really want to watch someone else run out on them....

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I kinda disagree. Most beginners cant tell the difference between an AAA player and a C- player. They dont watch Efren you-tube videos all day, like we do.

They mainly want to have fun and compete. The wife and I played pool with another couple we were visiting (they had a table) the other's guys wife actually beat me one game of 8-ball, and she was jumping up and down with joy. She is probably still happy about that to this day. This tells me beginners wanna see THEMSELVES have fun (and maybe win), they dont really want to watch someone else run out on them....

You don't have to watch Efren videos all day to tell the difference between a high end player and a lower tier player unless the better player is driving balls into the rail on purpose.

They would watch the C- player and say wow your pretty good then see the other guy play and say OMG your amazing

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drive to the pool hall in my beat up pickup
My friend drives in his white Bentley convertible

Bastard has no concern for my feelings

But I bring my cue and he uses a house cue

I don't drive his car and he doesn't use my cue

Neither ends up dented and we both enjoy ourselves

Just enjoy the night out

JMHO

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
:thumbup:
I never really liked playing with beginners, even if they were friends, but sometimes you are in a social situation where you are expected to play. Even if I haven't played in some time, I bear down and play my best because they want to see if you really are any good. I always liked that part, a little extra pressure to prove yourself even after having played the game for decades. It's good for you. :thumbup:

This reminds me of a story. Imagine that,;):rolleyes:

I was working construction, remodeling grocery stores. I worked with a crew of half a dozen. We were working out of town, so were staying in a motel. The first day after work we all hit the local watering hole. Needless to say I had regaled them with stories of my successes on the pool table. I never mentioned any of my losses however.;)

I knew I would be expected to perform, so I did bring my cue. First up was the superintendent. He had not been privy to my stories. With each ball I pocketed he was ribbed by the whole crew. Then I pocketed my key ball and left myself hooked on the eight. Now they did not realize I would be the underdog if I could not make the eight and continued to rib the superintendent, but now saying at least he would get to shoot.........WRONG. I called the eight and kicked it in. With that crew I was indeed a 'Pool God'.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That may be one of my biggest flaw (or strength depending on your point of view) but I can't bring myself to not try my best. Everytime I play is an opportunity for me to improve so If I have to play with non players, I'd rather not play.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
That may be one of my biggest flaw (or strength depending on your point of view) but I can't bring myself to not try my best. Everytime I play is an opportunity for me to improve so If I have to play with non players, I'd rather not play.

You could use it as an opportunity to practice with your weak hand. Of course with time and practice your weak hand will be too strong for them also.:eek:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't have to watch Efren videos all day to tell the difference between a high end player and a lower tier player unless the better player is driving balls into the rail on purpose.

They would watch the C- player and say wow your pretty good then see the other guy play and say OMG your amazing

Yes, once they get to a certain level they would say that,..... but at a lower level, they would see someone (for example) guide the CB into a cluster to break it up, and have NO IDEA that was intentional...or even why it would be a good idea to do that.

lower players would recognize "flashy" play as great play (bank shots, etc), but not precision CB control and good pattern choice.

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
We don't know these people all that well, but things might develop...
For the record, we don't own fancy cues, I own a $110 Schmelke, and my wife has an old Wilson (yes) that she paid $15 for, and refuses to part with, even though I tried to talk her into a new cue. She can still beat me with that old stick, like she did two weeks ago when nothing was going my way. I asked her if she worked in a bakery, because she was getting all the rolls!
I thought of the influence we could have in getting more people into the game. We will see..