John Higgins match fixing interview

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since the WSC 2015 is currently going on and I am waatching john higgins it reminded me of his disgraceful behavior a few years back in the match fixing interview

stephen lee got banned for 12 years

reason higgins didnt get lifetime ban was because this was the negotiations and he was never caught carrying out the dump

not as bad as buddy hall and the group in vegas but since snooker is so heavily betted on it hurts the sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln85qbCRI6w

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since the WSC 2015 is currently going on and I am waatching john higgins it reminded me of his disgraceful behavior a few years back in the match fixing interview

stephen lee got banned for 12 years

reason higgins didnt get lifetime ban was because this was the negotiations and he was never caught carrying out the dump

We have gone over this extensively when it was new news. John Higgins has committed no crime other than discuss a hypothetical situation.
If you went out to rob a bank and you drove up to park outside . got out and then thought that what you were considering doing was wrong. So you got back in the car a drove away. You would not expect the police to turn up with a warrant for your arrest. Same situation.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have gone over this extensively when it was new news. John Higgins has committed no crime other than discuss a hypothetical situation.
If you went out to rob a bank and you drove up to park outside . got out and then thought that what you were considering doing was wrong. So you got back in the car a drove away. You would not expect the police to turn up with a warrant for your arrest. Same situation.

not the same at all, he did not carry out said plan because the story was leaked to the paper immediately after therefore he never got the chsnce to carry it out

if you went with a gun loaded and note and told people you were going to kill person in house once you got inside and stood behind person to pull trigger but then police stopped you, would you be charged?

Yes prob be conpsiracy to commit murder, still big punishment

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
not the same at all, he did not carry out said plan because the story was leaked to the paper immediately after therefore he never got the chsnce to carry it out

if you went with a gun loaded and note and told people you were going to kill person in house once you got inside and stood behind person to pull trigger but then police stopped you, would you be charged?

Yes prob be conpsiracy to commit murder, still big punishment

I don't feel this is the same situation....John Higgins was the victim of a sting operation.
In the background, a Russian gangster threat was subtly implied.....
....I think John took too long to think, he should've contacted the WPBSA...
...but I don't think he was used to all this.

My two favorite reaction scenario?
A- he attacks the propositioners
B- he sues the stingers

Steve Davis once got a death threat if he didn't dump a match....
...Davis, naturally, won it but with a lot of surveillance involved.

Sometimes you just don't know if there is danger involved, and how much.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Higgins was definitely a willing participant, more concerned with how to hide the money then anything else. This is more akin to someone conspiring to have their spouse killed and being taped arranging it, only to get busted immediately after the taping. They are still tried for conspiracy to commit murder. Higgins got off easy imo.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Higgins once placed like 100k bet against himself but the booker (William Hills I believe) refused. But that's not matching fixing, it's just a way to get a saver ( it was a final where the winner got over 200k), pretty smart though.

That is not the same situation at all, but i agree there's little point dragging this one up again.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Source?

I don't think that this needs a source because it is common practice and has been ever since bookmakers started ti take serious bets on snooker. It's not illegal. I don't think that it is even immoral. That is unless you consider car insurance immoral. Because that is all this is - just a form of insurance.
If you had a situation where the first prize was $300,000 then and runner up took $150,000 doesn't it make sense to reduce your expectations down to $250,000 then lay a $50,000 bet on your opponent to beat you. Even if the price was EVENS your return inc prize money would be 150k+50k+50k= $250,000.
So win or lose you get $250,000. Now you can relax and play better snooker.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
plonker? ok if you guys are going to use slang you need to run a link to Wiki or something after. There used to be a game show here called "Plinker" is it the same? :) oh shut it I'm kidding!

On the topic, and this is the opinion of a plumber, it looks REALLY bad for all involved from my P.O.V. That discussion went WAY beyond "maybe", "whatif", or "how about" IMO.

G.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that this needs a source because it is common practice and has been ever since bookmakers started ti take serious bets on snooker. It's not illegal. I don't think that it is even immoral. That is unless you consider car insurance immoral. Because that is all this is - just a form of insurance.
If you had a situation where the first prize was $300,000 then and runner up took $150,000 doesn't it make sense to reduce your expectations down to $250,000 then lay a $50,000 bet on your opponent to beat you. Even if the price was EVENS your return inc prize money would be 150k+50k+50k= $250,000.

In some sports you would get banned for life for doing exactly that! Pete Rose got banned in baseball for betting on his own team to win!

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Higgins was given a six month suspension and fined £75,000 for failing to report.
Claimed he never touched his cue,
Came back to win his third UK championship and the world championship.

News of the World was shut down.
Higgins was not the only one it had victimized.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not the same at all beings you could bet more on the other player and throw a match. You get caught doing that in any pro sport and you're gone. Pete Rose bet on his own team to win and still got kicked out. Hell, if you could do that all the pro's would bet the spread and it would be easy to make money for them.

Edit: And I see I Jay already hit on that. I should have read through the thread first. :)

Last edited:

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I played pro football in scotland i would bet on my team to win and for me to be first goalscorer it was not a big bet but if i knew i was starting which we were told on the friday i would bet on it

only time i betted against my own team was on the last day of the season we were safe from relegation but clyde werent, all the first team players were out of contract andto avoid paying us appearance and win bonuses gaffer player all the u19 lads.

knew this on the friday and i think just before the game happened there was 1/4 million put on clyde to win, got investigated but nothing happened.

same thing happend when i was at dundee and played airdri we rested all firrst team for scottish semi final and got pumped 7-1.

Higgins was given a six month suspension and fined £75,000 for failing to report.
Claimed he never touched his cue,
Came back to win his third UK championship and the world championship.

News of the World was shut down.
Higgins was not the only one it had victimized.

Oh please. The News of the Screws had noticeable successes, too. I don't see how anyone can see higgins as a victim here at all. It was entrapment, but there was intent there somewhere along the line.

I was under the impression that any form of gambling by the players themselves was illegal?