US Bar Table Championships to be Mosconi Cup Points Events! Feb 16-22, Reno, NV

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
We are proud to announce that all three divisions of the US Bar Table Championships will be Mosconi Cup points events!

CueSports International, Henderson, Nevada (Jan. 29, 2015) – CueSports International (CSI) is proud to announce that all three (3) divisions of the US Bar Table Championships (USBTC) will be included in the ranking list for Team USA selection for the 2015 PartyPoker Mosconi Cup! On the heels of yet another Team USA defeat at the hands of the Team Europe, Matchroom Pool has decided that a slate of prominent USA tournaments, in which players earn points based on performance, will be used to decide three of the five USA players. The remaining two players will be wild card selections named by Team USA Captain, Mark Wilson.

For each of the three USBTC divisions, players eligible for Team USA who finish in the top 32, will be awarded points on a sliding scale.

CSI is exciting and honored that the USBTC will be such a large determinant of which players will represent the USA this December. We believe this is a great selection method and the U.S. will ultimately field the best team possible.

US Bar Table Championships, Feb. 16-22, Reno, NV
10-Ball Division: Feb. 16-18
9-Ball Division: Feb. 18-20
8-Ball Division: Feb. 20-22

CSI Press Release: Click here

Official Webpage (Info & Registration): Click here

Facebook Event Page: Click here

2015_USBTC_Flyer_Mod7_1200.jpg

jspence91

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridiculous

Pretty ridiculous considering it's held at the same time as the upcoming World 10 Ball Championships in the Phillipines. Only 2 weeks notice too, that's not a lot of time for players to commit to going there. Plus, all the players that we want on the team should be competing in the World Championship instead to gain some valuable experience on their resume and learn how to play under extreme pressure situations. Oh, and not to mention that this is f***ing bar table pool with short races against mostly amateur players...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's great. I'm sure there will be criticisms that it's bar tables while the Mosconi Cup is on 9-footers, and that they shouldn't include 8-ball and 10-ball. But I think it's the ability to compete at pool at a high level that is important, not the specific game or table.

I do hope they can start naming the other events soon. Hopefully they can name the other events soon.

In this same press release Matchroom for the first time named Mark Wilson as captain.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is time to drop our excitement over the MC. It really is a made for TV junk tournament.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty ridiculous considering it's held at the same time as the upcoming World 10 Ball Championships in the Phillipines. Only 2 weeks notice too, that's not a lot of time for players to commit to going there. Plus, all the players that we want on the team should be competing in the World Championship instead to gain some valuable experience on their resume and learn how to play under extreme pressure situations. Oh, and not to mention that this is f***ing bar table pool with short races against mostly amateur players...

Okay, so the World Championships were announced 4 weeks before they're held. They definitely have the moral high ground :embarrassed2:

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
And there ladies and gentlemen is the problem with pool. Politics again. So Mark wasn't happy Manny puts on the world 10 ball, he had to fight back and gets a bar table event a mosconi ranking event. I bet white
Diamonds wouldn't be considered for
Mosconi points if they contacted match room. How I'd love to win the powerball, so bullshit like this wouldn't happen. Absolute farce.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Finally! I've been playing pool for just about a year now. Its about time I had a shot at the Mosconi Cup team. :thumbup:

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Really?

And there ladies and gentlemen is the problem with pool. Politics again. So Mark wasn't happy Manny puts on the world 10 ball, he had to fight back and gets a bar table event a mosconi ranking event. I bet white
Diamonds wouldn't be considered for
Mosconi points if they contacted match room. How I'd love to win the powerball, so bullshit like this wouldn't happen. Absolute farce.

Lee, congrats...this just might be the single most ignorant comment in the history of AzBilliards. Bravo, sir. I'm sure everyone here would like to see your evidence of these assertions.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how many Mosconi point events are there and where and when?

It is unknown. Matchroom is announcing the events one by one at their own choosing. So far they have announced the Derby 9 Ball, and the three bar table championship events. Matchroom will do whatever they want for their made for TV event, the Mosconi Cup.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
It is unknown. Matchroom is announcing the events one by one at their own choosing. So far they have announced the Derby 9 Ball, and the three bar table championship events. Matchroom will do whatever they want for their made for TV event, the Mosconi Cup.

Isn't that pretty much the same for every other professional sport? I am pretty sure that was 100% of the motivation behind the Super Bowl.

I think anything that gets people watching, following or even just caring about professional pool is a good thing. How many pool players other than the ones on this forum do you know who can name all of the members of this years Mosconi cup team? I talked to someone last week who didn't even know who won it in 2014 let alone who was on the teams.

I think attaching the Mosconi cup to the USBTC is a great way to cross-promote. Maybe a few more people will actually pay attention in 2015.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet there was politics involved. Id bet plenty but im not sure it is all about the 10B WPC, especially if that was indeed scheduled just 4 weeks ago

Who thinks SVB should still go to the Philippines? Would he dare not play for CSI?

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Why would a bar table event even be considered as a points event
to decide who gets on the team for a big table event ?

It makes no sense to me, but but I guess they couldn't use invitationals
as points events, now could they ?

Thought the BCA was supposed to be announcing what the three points
events would be, maybe it was to much for them to handle. :wink:

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with your points but more redirecting to a slightly unrelated issue.

I know I'm new here but am I the only one confused by the hierarchy or even relationship between CSI and the BCA? Let alone the relationship between the BCA, APA and WPA. Oh, and don't start me on the ABP. Is that even a thing anymore?

Trying to figure out who is in the best place to promote and improve pool, make it more accessible to a larger audience, promote it in local communities, etc. makes my head hurt. Am I the only one confused by all of the organizations?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a bar table event even be considered as a points event
to decide who gets on the team for a big table event ?

It makes no sense to me, but but I guess they couldn't use invitationals
as points events, now could they ?

Thought the BCA was supposed to be announcing what the three points
events would be, maybe it was to much for them to handle. :wink:

The BCA thing is different. That was for announcing WPA point events here. So far only Turning Stone I believe. They haven't announced others yet, right?
Matchroom is choosing events for their own ranking system.