Missing players not earning Mosconi Cup points

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The recently finished USBTC had 3 Mosconi Cup point earning events.
But there were so many players from past Mosconi Cup teams absent.
Archer, Hatch, Dechaine, Strickland, Schmidt etc

If you really wanted to be on the team shouldn't you try and play in all the Mosconi Cup point earning events?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The recently finished USBTC had 3 Mosconi Cup point earning events.
But there were so many players from past Mosconi Cup teams absent.
Archer, Hatch, Dechaine, Strickland, Schmidt etc

If you really wanted to be on the team shouldn't you try and play in all the Mosconi Cup point earning events?

The fact that a bar table event is being counted is comical to me.

Unless the Mosconi will be contested on bar tables this year, their time would have been better spent practicing on real tables.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not everyone is making as big a deal about the MC as people on here do.

You would think that was the case BUT when ever any of the pros that have competed in the Mosconi Cup are asked about it -- they all say how it's the highlight of their career and they all want to play in it again.

I do find it strange that more of them didn't play in these events but I guess we need to keep in mind that they really weren't notified that far in advance about these events being Mosconi Cup points events.

liakos

Banned

Unless the Mosconi will be contested on bar tables this year, their time would have been better spent practicing on real tables.

My feelings exactly! COMICAL;)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe we would have a better chance of winning if the MC was held on bar tables. We should make that suggestion.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Maybe Matchroom should show more organization in this Mosconi Cup points they have instituted and use the same organization they use in putting on the event itself (although that had flaws as well and at least they took some of my ideas to make changes last December).

Mosconi Cup points were issued for the DCC 9 ball and it was announced at best 10 days before the event started.

Mosconi Cup points were issued for the bar table events in Reno and it was announced at best 3 weeks before the event started. I already stated like SJM that having MC points earned on a bar table is a mistake (that is a kind word for it) but if you are going to go that route, at least do it right.

Doesn't give much time for a player to arrange travel, etc. There are no discounted flights anymore for late travel arrangements. If you don't make them two months in advance, chances are you are going to pay almost double.

At this point, all 10 proposed events shouldn't count towards a players points. It should be their best showing in 7 out of 10 events.

And if you are going to have all 3 events in Reno count (8 ball, 9 ball and 10 ball), why didn't you have all the events at the DCC count?

Beyond that, the point system itself has never been published nor have the current standings. The points that are possible to earn in an event should have been the first thing released when this was made aware to the players. Are they waiting so they can manipulate the points so the players they hope make it are standing well after the first four events?

Hey Matchroom - you took some of my ideas the last time I told you that you were messing up. If you want my help again, I am here. Sooner or later though, I am going to have to charge you. or be expected to be put on the payroll.

Banks

Banned
First off, counting 'big table' events really hasn't done squat for the U.S. team in recent years. Secondly, if you can get through the gauntlet of players to score enough points in the USBTC, you can probably play on anything. Lastly, they should stop catering to those that have perfected the give-up stroke.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Sorry guys, my view is slightly different. How many of the named players are NOT welcome at CSI run events? Guess there was a higher cost to pay then they realized. Whether it's big or small tables, the cash is still green and the points are the same. JMHO.

Lyn

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to three MC and have always enjoyed the event. But awarding points for bar table events really chills my interest in the event.

Comical? Let's try jackass stupid.

Lou Figueroa

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Sorry guys, my view is slightly different. How many of the named players are NOT welcome at CSI run events? Guess there was a higher cost to pay then they realized. Whether it's big or small tables, the cash is still green and the points are the same. JMHO.

Lyn

Lyn, from what I hear the "Ban" was lifted and people like Rodney (I think that was maybe who you are mainly talking about) were allowed back in to play CSI events

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Lyn, from what I hear the "Ban" was lifted and people like Rodney (I think that was maybe who you are mainly talking about) were allowed back in to play CSI events

Mark,

Perhaps your ear is closer to the wall than mine. Was there ever a public statement to that effect?

Lyn

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark,

Perhaps your ear is closer to the wall than mine. Was there ever a public statement to that effect?

Lyn

Not sure about other players, but M. Griffin himself said in a post on here that Rodney apologized and is welcome back to his events.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lyn

The cash has zero to do with anything ,,and if thier giving points for undersized tables it should be undersized points ,,

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Mark,

Lyn

There is a post about it somewhere -- exact player names weren't named but it was inferred that all hachets were buried and anyone was welcome. I do believe that it was mentioned that Rodney apologized.

I can't speak for these players as I haven't talked to them BUT let's say Matchroom gave notice of the MC pts in Reno in early January. Then a player can look at their calendar, see that there are two big table events (Swannee and Chuck M - along with a one pocket at the Chuck M.) in California prior to the Reno events. They could have made it much more appealing for them to make a west coast swing and then team up with some of their fellow pool players and drive to Reno. I can't believe that more top MC potential caliber players wouldn't have made that deduction and gone thru with going to Reno.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
First off, counting 'big table' events really hasn't done squat for the U.S. team in recent years. Secondly, if you can get through the gauntlet of players to score enough points in the USBTC, you can probably play on anything. Lastly, they should stop catering to those that have perfected the give-up stroke.

1. What do you mean by the give up stroke?
2, it's clear in this & other threads about the USBTC that there are many such as yourself that aren't appreciative of all the negative connotations attributed to bar boxes, yours is far less butt hurt apparent than others, but to anyone who spends anytime here your affinity for BB's is known, we've all heard about the bar you put them in.

What the BB crowd doesn't seem to understand or doesn't want to understand is why those comments are being made. In other threads its initial furor was over CSI thinking of attaching US Open to these championships & rightly so. Real CHAMPIONSHIPS in this sport, be it 9 ball, 10 ball, 14.1, banks or 1 pocket have always been contested on large tracks & they should be. The furor displayed in this thread is appropriate also. Irrelevant of your misplaced logic about point events in the past being held on big tracks not helping, it is the way it should be because the MC is on big tracks, it's just a fact. I have heard from many that in certain areas of this country that is all there is to play on & I truly feel sorry for people who don't have a choice, I truly am. If I were in their position I'd move, seriously.

The harsh reality is this;
1. Championships of the elite should be on big tracks, they always have been & always should be.
2. That while BB's are everywhere in the US & the only option in some areas of this country, this is the only place in the world that BB's are prevalent, outside of the U.S. you really don't see them. The rest of the world plays on big tracks & considering the dismal performance of the US in MC play to hold points events in the US on BB's adds insult to injury & certainly isn't going to help the U.S. team.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think the American players and fans are about fed up with moving the carrot this way and that way as far as how to earn points for the MC. Instead of having ALL of Europe against the U.S.A, they should have all of Asia against the UK. Johnnyt

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Mark,

Lyn

I know, I heard it from asking once I heard the USBTC were going to be points. Then again, maybe it's between the player and promoter since it makes no difference to our lives who is allowed to play and who is not. However as a fan I wanted to know who had a chance at it. As it turns out none of the players we are talking about played in it anyway I think Rodney was playing the Manny P deal.