English Stroke; What do U use: RHE, FHE, Par?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
English Stroke; What do U use: BHE, FHE, Par?

I know this has been around a few times but I'm very curious why any of you use and proclaim which style of English stroke to use. Right now, I'm using "parallel" English as I know my cue stick deflection "squirt" is about 1/2 of a tip of English at the OB. Using hard enough shots where "swerve" is not involved in any of the strokes. I do know that BHE requires an appropriate amount of pivot length (precise) for the cue stick and that it takes your normal back hand stroke either in or out of your normal straight in stroke. I don't like that too much, but I know it and refuse to use it.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this has been around a few times but I'm very curious why any of you use and proclaim which style of English stroke to use. Right now, I'm using "parallel" English as I know my cue stick deflection "squirt" is about 1/2 of a tip of English at the OB. Using hard enough shots where "swerve" is not involved in any of the strokes. I do know that RHE requires an appropriate amount of pivot length (precise) for the cue stick and that it takes your normal back hand stroke either in or out of your normal straight in stroke. I don't like that too much, but I know it and refuse to use it.

I use BHE most of the time and parallel on certain shots, like when the CB is very to the OB. I know my shaft deflection and I'm pretty good at realizing the amount of CB squirt that's gonna take place. To each his own. You have to know your equipment and how to use it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
TOI-BHE-Parallel-Tuck&Roll. All depends on what I'm trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be the probable result of a professional player; as they know it all and just put it "on automatic".

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Using english I use backhand very seldomly, usually when I have a really thin cut angle and need to throw a ball towards a pocket. Front hand English I use on a normal shot that I am trying to get position on, and almost never use parallel english, I simply haven't found a need for it and find it unpredictable.

Most of the time when I use english it is to be able to stop the cue ball or at least shrink its lateral movement when I have a slight angle, using the CB to slightly throw the OB while slowing the CB way down.

I always use low outside on back cuts...due to the predictability of the CB path. however as my pattern recognition has increased, my use of english has decreased...I use a lot more center ball axis nowadays.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
When Using english I use backhand very seldomly, usually when I have a really thin cut angle and need to throw a ball towards a pocket. Front hand English I use on a normal shot that I am trying to get position on, and almost never use parallel english, I simply haven't found a need for it and find it unpredictable.

Most of the time when I use english it is to be able to stop the cue ball or at least shrink its lateral movement when I have a slight angle, using the CB to slightly throw the OB while slowing the CB way down.

I always use low outside on back cuts...due to the predictability of the CB path. however as my pattern recognition has increased, my use of english has decreased...I use a lot more center ball axis nowadays.

I love your post, and especially on the last part. My teacher says he might use english on 2% of his shots and the "center ball" and "center ball hit (stop shot plus about 6 inches)" (not sure anybody else in the world calls it that), is the key. I guess I've always heard it said; "the pros use less than a dime on the CB". It's amazing to watch him roll out 9/10 ball racks with just roll and true roll. There was a day when he'd take on most folks and NOT using reverse.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love your post, and especially on the last part. My teacher says he might use english on 2% of his shots and the "center ball" and "center ball hit (stop shot plus about 6 inches)" (not sure anybody else in the world calls it that), is the key. I guess I've always heard it said; "the pros use less than a dime on the CB". It's amazing to watch him roll out 9/10 ball racks with just roll and true roll. There was a day when he'd take on most folks and NOT using reverse.

I think if you look up ole "Ding Dong Daddy" Bert Kinnister, his Shot #1 in one of his videos, that he claims to be the most important shot in pool is a shot down the rail 4 diamonds to a straight in Object ball and there are 3 versions...stop, follow a few inches, then follow a few inches further. I personally Freakiing hate his style of teaching and his verbalization of things, dude certainly is a character, but you might find alot of the stuff he teaches overlaps with that of the guy that is instructing you.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think if you look up ole "Ding Dong Daddy" Bert Kinnister, his Shot #1 in one of his videos, that he claims to be the most important shot in pool is a shot down the rail 4 diamonds to a straight in Object ball and there are 3 versions...stop, follow a few inches, then follow a few inches further. I personally Freakiing hate his style of teaching and his verbalization of things, dude certainly is a character, but you might find alot of the stuff he teaches overlaps with that of the guy that is instructing you.

I agree that it overlaps with what he is being taught. What Bert teaches on the videos also goes far beyond what he is currently being taught and will ever be taught by his current instructor.

Bert has worked with some of the best pro players in the world who weren't the best until he got them under his wing. Niels Feijen is one of them.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

Watch the Russians play their drills in "the billiard brothers" on Youtube and let me know what you think of their coach Johan Ruijsink, Let me know what aiming system he is teaching. The point is; if you have three balls left of your run out in 9/10 ball, would you rather roll your ball to the next position or use reverse when all the pressure is on for the big bucks. I'd rather use roll. If you are better using draw under all the pressure, instead of roll, then you're a special deal.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't shoot timid or scared. I do whatever feels right to get shape on that last ball. If my speed (CB roll) is off due to lack of play or table conditions, I won't think twice about juicing the CB up to force a more controlled position.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I line up with my stick at the correct angle. My practice stroke and final stroke are on that same line. It’s easy.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

The tangent roll out on a cut shot is a true ball roll, no bend back like high follow or draw. The shot where the CB goes about 6" forward with all firmness of stroke is also the same shot.... true roll. This was taken about 6 months ago; https://youtu.be/fjEGe0_rP2k. I practice this on straight shots but on cut shots, it goes a few inches forward of the tangent line. I practice this almost every day. If you've never had a teacher or player that can use these kinds of true rolls to roll around the table, I can understand your reluctance to understand it. I've seen it time after time and it is a beautiful way to play the game.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen most of Bert's stuff and I agree that while his delivery can be a bit repetitious he's got a lot of good stuff. I had a chance to meet him at the US One Pocket Open up in Kalamazoo in 2000. We chatted for a bit. Cool guy.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like the two of you could use a lesson from a great instructor that might change your mind toward the end of a pressurized game.... But, that is not going to happen so stick to your ideas.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sounds like the two of you could use a lesson from a great instructor that might change your mind toward the end of a pressurized game.... But, that is not going to happen so stick to your ideas.

You sound like a person who could be very easily hypnotized or brain washed. You're very susceptible to the power of suggestion and someone who captivates your attention with a good gift of gab.

But as a beginner with not much in your arsenal of knowledge and experience with pool and or instructors, it's kind of understandable to be amazed and swept in by showmanship to see things for the first time.

One of these days you need to get off the "farm" and see "Paree". There's a lot more out there in this world of pool, pool players and instructors than some local yokel with an ego bigger than Earth itself. Btw, instructors with CLASS don't knock what other instructors are teaching whether it's golf, pool, MLB batting and pitching coaches, etc. Your instructor seems to be something other than high class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1VO-R3t80

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
You sound like a person who could be very easily hypnotized or brain washed. You're very susceptible to the power of suggestion and someone who captivates your attention with a good gift of gab.

But as a beginner with not much in your arsenal of knowledge and experience with pool and or instructors, it's kind of understandable to be amazed and swept in by showmanship to see things for the first time.

One of these days you need to get off the "farm" and see "Paree". There's a lot more out there in this world of pool, pool players and instructors than some local yokel with an ego bigger than Earth itself. Btw, instructors with CLASS don't knock what other instructors are teaching whether it's golf, pool, MLB batting and pitching coaches, etc. Your instructor seems to be something other than high class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1VO-R3t80

You have nothing to say about my pool teacher! You have not seen him or taken lessons from him, SO HOW WOULD YOU, YOU, YOU KNOW! Yet, you keep on talking as if you do. Amazing thing!
I guess only pool players are this way! Tiger was number 1 in the world but he kept on taking instruction from Butch, Hank, etc. I was a 5 handicap golfer, took the trip to see a pretty famous golf teacher in Orlando, Fl, trying to get even better. I suppose pool players can not afford to take lessons from teachers, or just to damn proud of the way they play to even fathom that fact. Amazing!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You have nothing to say about my pool teacher! You have not seen him or taken lessons from him, SO HOW WOULD YOU, YOU, YOU KNOW! Yet, you keep on talking as if you do. Amazing thing!

You answered exactly the way I wanted you to answer! It's the same as you and all the others on here talking like THEY know what STAN is about or CTE.

Does it NOW sink into your empty head?

Ya better watch that blood pressure with uncontrollable anger. Old geezer like yourself is going to end up having a stroke right on the spot.

Last edited: