Revo shaft tip replacement.

King Jehu

Registered
I know that it's recommended to return the cue to Predator for tip replacement or find a qualified service tech. If I have to do that every time, I'll go back to the Z-2.

It can't be that much of an issue, can it? I tend to replace tips a little sooner than necessary because I lose confidence and it affects my stroke. That's why I've had the Willard Tipping Machine for the last couple years. It does just as well as a lathe in my experience. I've found that the Victory Soft tip is the best I've used so far. (subjectively speaking, of course.)

It seems to me that the only issues would be to be careful about grinding into the silencing pad and trimming the installed tip. If that's all the concern is about then I'll jump into it. I can't imagine there being a problem with chucking the shaft in the Willard clamps. They market it as the most durable shaft made.

Has anyone else replaced tips on Revo? Any problems with results?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that it's recommended to return the cue to Predator for tip replacement or find a qualified service tech. If I have to do that every time, I'll go back to the Z-2.

It can't be that much of an issue, can it? I tend to replace tips a little sooner than necessary because I lose confidence and it affects my stroke. That's why I've had the Willard Tipping Machine for the last couple years. It does just as well as a lathe in my experience. I've found that the Victory Soft tip is the best I've used so far. (subjectively speaking, of course.)

It seems to me that the only issues would be to be careful about grinding into the silencing pad and trimming the installed tip. If that's all the concern is about then I'll jump into it. I can't imagine there being a problem with chucking the shaft in the Willard clamps. They market it as the most durable shaft made.

I haven't had any trouble.

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
Predator will void the warranty if the silencer is under a certain thickness spec or if the shaft behind the tip is sanded at all...

they just don't want you to see what is behind the silencer!!!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good argument for not buying a Revo shaft...
Predator can't seriously expect the customers to return the shaft to them everytime you need a new tip.
As long as your carefull not to scratch the carbonfibre shaft when it's chucked up, I don't see how replacing the tip on a Revo shaft would be any different to any other shaft out there.

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
Only way I'd touch one I didn't own is if customer signed something saying I want responsible for anything but the tip....ofcourse I'll never fall for that gimmick fishing rod shaft.....lol

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Predator will void the warranty if the silencer is under a certain thickness spec or if the shaft behind the tip is sanded at all...

they just don't want you to see what is behind the silencer!!!

Clear your inbox! ;)
j2

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REVO tip replacement

The solution is VERY simple . . . don't remove ALL the leather from the original tip . . . a very thin layer of the original tip will permit the new tip to be bonded securely . . . given that you know how to put a tip on properly to begin with using the correct glue.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I wholeheartedly agree with. No muss, no fuss, no worries.
Never touch the pad if you don't have to and this is a great way not to .

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use my lathe and have experimented with several tips on my Revo shafts. I do use more caution than ever but haven't had any issues at all.

I also own a Willard Tipping Machine (WTM); this would not be different than any other tips you have done. As long as you aren't marking the shafts with the collets or cutting into ferrules now, you would be fine. For added protection with the WTM, leave a slight bit of the old tip when facing.
Actually, gluing the scuffed new tip to the existing slim leather layer works great and gives you a good sightline and margin while trimming the new tip (WTM and/or Lathe).

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Installed a Kamui ss clear yesterday on a Revo.
Not a big deal.
Not wanting to get into a tip or LD shaft debate; there are plenty here already.
However, considering one of the principle Predator LD concepts is to reduce/eliminate front end weight with special materials, short or no ferrules, hollow/foam etc...adding a piece of "clear" plastic to the front of the shaft just seems slightly counter productive to me...
I do tend to over think all kinds of crap though.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using thread tape on the shaft before replacing tips is a big help in preventing any glue onto the cue shaft.
I have not even seen a Revo shaft yet, but have been making carbon shafts since 2006.
I find it easiest to measure the ferrule 1st, then I tape, trim off the old tip, glue on the new tip, trim to the ferrule diameter + 1 thou.
If it does not run dead true, then trim to + 1 thou over the biggest offset. That way the shaft is never touched and is left at the original size.
Unlike wood, my carbon shafts can't handle being sanded down like I see on so many video's of tip installations.
Neil

Last edited:

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
Not wanting to get into a tip or LD shaft debate; there are plenty here already.
However, considering one of the principle Predator LD concepts is to reduce/eliminate front end weight with special materials, short or no ferrules, hollow/foam etc...adding a piece of "clear" plastic to the front of the shaft just seems slightly counter productive to me...

I'm not saying your wrong. But all this low deflection is over rated. Kamui SS is what the customer wanted while not changing the structure of the shaft and that's what he gets. I also was able to hit some with that Revo shaft. I didn't see anything magical. Kind of stiff. Thanks Frank

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think if you considered that the pad is in place of the leather that would have taken the same volume, plus the difference in weight between said pad and the CB, it's safe to assume the pad makes an insignificant difference to CB deflection. So weighed (no pun intended) against the enhanced feel for the player with his tip of preference, and it seems like he'll be fine.

zrider7

Do you remove the silencer pad and replace it with the clear pad-. When installing
the K clear

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
A good argument for not buying a Revo shaft...
Predator can't seriously expect the customers to return the shaft to them every time you need a new tip.
As long as your carefull not to scratch the carbon fibre shaft when it's chucked up, I don't see how replacing the tip on a Revo shaft would be any different to any other shaft out there.

Kim, The best reason not to buy a REVO shaft is the price.
$500 for a cue shaft ... :eek:
Will it really make you play 5 times better than a $100 cue shaft?
People dont realize that you can not buy skill ... but they keep trying ... :eek:

Everytime I play against someone using a REVO I break out my ANTI-REVO cue and use it.
Its a white CueTec ... fiberglass over wood shaft ... the Anti-Revo cue ...:D

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Do you remove the silencer pad and replace it with the clear pad-. When installing
the K clear

NO, the silencer pad has to stay, otherwise their warrantee is gone, plus damage may occur to the vault plate.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim, The best reason not to buy a REVO shaft is the price.
$500 for a cue shaft ... :eek:
Will it really make you play 5 times better than a $100 cue shaft?
People dont realize that you can not buy skill ... but they keep trying ... :eek:

Everytime I play against someone using a REVO I break out my ANTI-REVO cue and use it.
Its a white CueTec ... fiberglass over wood shaft ... the Anti-Revo cue ...:D

I totally agree with you about that, but pool players are a superstitious bunch, so aparently $500 shafts are totally cool, but that custom extension they ask for better not be more than $70... 1:D
That beeing said I've changed close to a 100 tips on Revo's now and rethreaded a bunch of them. Accurate collets and being carefull amd patient does the trick.