Guidance for secure PayPal usage

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a buyer approach me who has very few itrades on the forum and lives in Canada. I usually request usps MO, but he explains this isn't possible for him being in Canada. I think he also prefers using PayPal instead of MO, perhaps for security on his side. My question is how can I best protect myself using PayPal? I've heard horror stories of people receiving payment, then shipping the cue, and then learning five to ten days later that the payment was made through a fraudulent credit card. This buyer seems fairly legitimate but I want to make sure I'm protected on my side. Any guidance from folks that would minimize any risk of this transaction would be appreciated. I know that I will not do a "gift" transaction, and I'll ship to the address in his profile. Should there be a waiting period to ensure funds clear? Thanks any advance for any guidance offered.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be best to look at PayPal's website for its aunt. I say it is secure. That the purchaser can file a dispute come if your item isn't as described. The thought so I guess they say Feller might document what he sold, how he packaged it, it cetera...

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I've reviewed the PayPal site but did not find much any information as to how to prevent a seller from using a fraudulent card on his side and how that impacts me. Most of the information is related to traditional scams and shipping to a different address.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I've reviewed the PayPal site but did not find much any information as to how to prevent a seller from using a fraudulent card on his side and how that impacts me. Most of the information is related to traditional scams and shipping to a different address.

That really isn't your concern, I believe.

If the card is stolen and PayPal accepts it, I think seller still gets paid.

I think it is more likely a legimate buyer would file a claim that item was not as described...or for a hacked account to have a bs address (ship to confirmed address only/ confirm all returns are at the buyer's expense.

How much is the item worth to you? At some point, the risk/ reward is Not worth it.

Here is another idea: knock 25% off the sale price and have a little confidence in the transaction.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
I've heard of people sending fake paypal messages saying you got your money. One scammer tried it on me to get my pool table. Beware

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
get a verifiable name and home address and phone number and call him.
while on the phone ask to talk quickly with someone else in the house and see if they seem legit. then make the transaction and you will be fine.

or if you feel uncomfortable dont do it with him. scammers rely on your greed.

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had an issue using paypal as a seller or buyer. When you sell you will get an email saying funds have arrived, then an email when funds are available to you. You can wait until the funds are clear and let them know that is your plan before shipping. When you log into your account and see the funds the purchaser isn't able to fake that. When ever I got an email that funds arrived it tells how much and links you to your account where you sign in and view them. I don't know how you can go wrong. (btw, I made and sold hunting calls for years)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And i would add that you should ALWAYS log directly into your account directly, not through a link i an email, text or untrusted webpage. Same for your online banking, credit cards, etc...
I've never had an issue using paypal as a seller or buyer. When you sell you will get an email saying funds have arrived, then an email when funds are available to you. You can wait until the funds are clear and let them know that is your plan before shipping. When you log into your account and see the funds the purchaser isn't able to fake that. When ever I got an email that funds arrived it tells how much and links you to your account where you sign in and view them. I don't know how you can go wrong. (btw, I made and sold hunting calls for years)

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you ship to a different address than that provided by the buyer? In this instance the buyer lives in Canada, wants to pay with a Canadian paypal address, but wants the cue shipped to an address in Niagara NY where he can pick it up. I spoke to Paypal about this process and they believed I would waive any protection as the seller if I shipped to an address different than that in the Paypal account. This buyer has been patient and polite during the process of my thorough inquiry with him, but I worry that I would waive any recourse on my side if he has complaints about the transaction. This is a big transaction so I don't think it's worth taking a risk like this. I welcome any additional thoughts folks may have.-Ryan

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
let him have the person who is getting it in the u.s. send you the m.o.
or payment suitable to you. and investigate them as well.
complicated transactions are trouble or scams.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
let him have the person who is getting it in the u.s. send you the m.o.
or payment suitable to you. and investigate them as well.
complicated transactions are trouble or scams.

It's entirely possible to send international (ie: US currency) money orders from Canada.

That would protect the seller but it wouldn't protect the buyer. Hence why I recommended escrow.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you ship to a different address than that provided by the buyer? In this instance the buyer lives in Canada, wants to pay with a Canadian paypal address, but wants the cue shipped to an address in Niagara NY where he can pick it up. I spoke to Paypal about this process and they believed I would waive any protection as the seller if I shipped to an address different than that in the Paypal account. This buyer has been patient and polite during the process of my thorough inquiry with him, but I worry that I would waive any recourse on my side if he has complaints about the transaction. This is a big transaction so I don't think it's worth taking a risk like this. I welcome any additional thoughts folks may have.-Ryan

You lose a significant amount of certainty shipping to an address other than a confirmed one.

Why is there a border concern? Ivory?

What is the $value this concerns?

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your safest bet is probably a trusted middle man. Other than that you can always ask if he's willing to send payment as a gift, that way he can't charge back after getting the cue, but now that takes trust on his side.