Help Me Make My Decision

bdam123

Registered
So I've been reading, looking, and shopping around for a few weeks now.

I've never owned my own cue before so I don't really know anything besides some of the info I can regurgitate from reading for the past few weeks.

I wanted a plain looking cue, preferably black.

I was pretty set on a Mezz EC7-K with a WX900 shaft.

Then I started reading up and checking OB's stuff and I kind like their 123. I haven't decided what shaft but I'm leaning towards the Pro+.

Like I said, I'm really only basing my decision off of things I've read. I have no experience playing any of these cues.

What do you guys think?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that price you can get a plain cue or sneaky from a decent custom cuemaker in the secondary market. It will retain a lot of value too.

Mezz is a better production cue maker, but a production cue maker nonetheless. You might get a winner but their selectivity is not going to be the same.

Mostly, though, make sure you play with some cues at your local pool hall and see what suits you. If you are used to bar cues, switching to a low deflection shaft is likely to be a very big adjustment, and low deflection is not objectively better. Personally I don't like the feel of a low deflection shaft, and I make unconscious aiming adjustments for deflection when using english that would make me less accurate with a different type of shaft. Could I eventually get used to a new shaft and become more accurate in some shots? Probably, but if it ain't broke why fix it?

bdam123

Registered
For that price you can get a plain cue or sneaky from a decent custom cuemaker in the secondary market. It will retain a lot of value too.

Mezz is a better production cue maker, but a production cue maker nonetheless. You might get a winner but their selectivity is not going to be the same.

Mostly, though, make sure you play with some cues at your local pool hall and see what suits you. If you are used to bar cues, switching to a low deflection shaft is likely to be a very big adjustment, and low deflection is not objectively better. Personally I don't like the feel of a low deflection shaft, and I make unconscious aiming adjustments for deflection when using english that would make me less accurate with a different type of shaft. Could I eventually get used to a new shaft and become more accurate in some shots? Probably, but if it ain't broke why fix it?

What custom cue maker would you recommend? I actually spoke to a custom builder from north jersey and he said he started at $1000 and that he builds the whole cue. I couldn't really get out of him if it was possible to get a butt built that would be a standard size and joint where I could switch shafts easily because he kept shitting on production shafts.

Either way I'm open to the suggestion. I just dont know much about anything and this would entail a bunch more research that I'm not necessarily against, I'm just ready to buy a cue haha

Also, pertaining to your opinion about LD shafts. I don't think I'm used to anything at this point. I've played pool a lot growing up but I never took it completely serious til now. Would you recommend against a beginner using a LD shaft? I figured I'd rather have an LD shaft because compensating for squirt seems like a pretty big hill when I'm still shooting with about a 60% success rate just trying to pocket balls not even considering position play.

Last edited:

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What custom cue maker would you recommend? I actually spoke to a custom builder from north jersey and he said he started at $1000 and that he builds the whole cue. I couldn't really get out of him if it was possible to get a butt built that would be a standard size and joint where I could switch shafts easily because he kept shitting on production shafts.

Either way I'm open to the suggestion. I just dont know much about anything and this would entail a bunch more research that I'm not necessarily against, I'm just ready to buy a cue haha

Also, pertaining to your opinion about LD shafts. I don't think I'm used to anything at this point. I've played pool a lot growing up but I never took it completely serious til now. Would you recommend against a beginner using a LD shaft? I figured I'd rather have an LD shaft because compensating for squirt seems like a pretty big hill when I'm still shooting with about a 60% success rate just trying to pocket balls not even considering position play.

LD shafts work by reducing the weight at the tip end by various methods (smaller diameter, hollowing, thin/light ferrules, etc.) which causes the front of the shaft to bend and provide a certain feedback which is different. You just have to try it to see what you think. It might be easier for you, you might not tell the difference at this point, or it might feel awful. Either way, it sounds like the best thing for improving your game is avoiding side spin altogether.

As far as which maker, that's a tough question. If you want to commission someone and wait for a cue to be built to your specs, I'd post in the ask the cuemaker section with your location and budget and they'll recommend someone with a good reputation.

But the other way is to check out the for sale section and see what's available. Then search the forums for that makers name to see what their reputation is.

And yes nearly everyone uses a standard joint/pin type (but you have to know which one it is on your cue) that could be matched to an after market shaft, although if doing a cheaper custom the biggest advantage is probably hand selected shaft wood and quality control of production.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It is not the arrow, it is the Indian.

Nothing wrong at all with well made production cues. Many champions play with them too.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
no other opinions?
If you really want an avalanche of opinions place this question in the Main Forum.
***Remember that avalanches can kill***

My suggestion is to buy used. That way you have a couple, three cues to try out. I have bought all my cue's used. Never paid more than half their original sales value.
McDermott "D" series is good if you like a large butt and soft hit.
Schon makes a great cue with a very nice finish, a smaller butt and it hits solid.
Joss is a solid performer.
Pechauer
Mezz is my favorite. 1999 UJ-10 Thin butt, weight forward, understated design.
If you want to start playing right away get a Players HXT Cue for $170.

Get out, play for awhile, then think about what you want in a cue. Read the posts here, think about it some more, play some more. Don't be in a rush to drop $1,000 on a cue you may not like.

Why a custom right away? Until you know that a maker can do what he says he can do, wait. Read some of the many posts here on choices of cues and cue makers. Most opinions about cues and cue makers will be in the Main Forum.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 493

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mchnhed;5912555 Get out said:
A used production cue is another way to do and save money. I agree that production cues are just fine and play to a championship level with the right player. Biggest difference is quality control and selectiveness of materials. I don't see much difference between getting a used production vs custom except production cheaper and harder to resell, but either case if bought on secondary market and kept in good condition will retain value.

No right answer. Really the OP needs to try some stuff out and buy what appeals to him/her.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no other opinions?

A LOT of opinions.

The absolute first rule is: do not get a custom cue, buy a production cue.
Why? Warranty, warranty, warranty.
Then proven product, easy delivery, easy to replace when something breaks, no "buying a cat in the sack", no hassles with people having an attitude and not delivering, having a bad day, depressions, whatever.
You dont like it, it's not 100% perfect, you return it, you get your money, nothing to think about.

OB or Mezz should be run about the same money and quality level.
Mezz sometimes have a longer delivery time.
Predator seems to be sometimes good and sometimes bad, so I'd rule them out.
Pechauer etc. I don't know nothing about their shaft properties, so I'd rule them out.
Dont say Schön or Joss - they are NOT up to snuff regarding LD technology.

I personally think 12mm is too big (WX900), so I'd go OB Pro Plus 11,75mm (I think it's called). They have beautiful simple cues, too.

The looks some of their cues have are stunning, and congratulations for choosing a classy merry widow.

Mezz cues are easier to sell, though. EC-7 usually are bought off the 2nd market after just a few days, if in good shape.

If you dont want to spend money and just want to work it hard - get a black Cuetec R360 with 11,5mm or 12mm shaft (they ARE available - see https://www.cuetec.com/product-category/r360-cues/shaft/ ) like van Boening used to have.
Around 190$ and you're done, shaft actually is pretty good and quite LD.

Cheers,
M

bdam123

Registered
Nice, thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to hold off on my decision for another week or so and check out the second hand market.

Rackattach

Banned
Get yourself a plain Viking Merry Widow (all black is fine) and get the vikore shaft upgrade. You'll have it till you die.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get yourself a plain Viking Merry Widow (all black is fine) and get the vikore shaft upgrade. You'll have it till you die.

... and the shaft is crap, sorry to say.
LD properties - not even as good as a Cuetec R360!

Please, stop posting these one-liners. The question about a new cue was very specific.

kempf80

Registered
I would give Pechauer a second look if Schön is out of your budget. I've been happy with mine. The only caveat would be their own specific joint that ties you to their shafts. Don't know much about their LD shafts but they have 11,75mm diameter shafts tooi if that's something you want to experiment later. Not too expensive for about 350-400.

kempf80

Registered
Ok, I'll have to add Adam Cue into my recommended list. A friend let me hit a few shots with his and I liked it too. Sorry for double reply.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A LOT of opinions.

The absolute first rule is: do not get a custom cue, buy a production cue.
Why? Warranty, warranty, warranty.
Then proven product, easy delivery, easy to replace when something breaks, no "buying a cat in the sack", no hassles with people having an attitude and not delivering, having a bad day, depressions, whatever.
You dont like it, it's not 100% perfect, you return it, you get your money, nothing to think about.

OB or Mezz should be run about the same money and quality level.
Mezz sometimes have a longer delivery time.
Predator seems to be sometimes good and sometimes bad, so I'd rule them out.
Pechauer etc. I don't know nothing about their shaft properties, so I'd rule them out.
Dont say Schön or Joss - they are NOT up to snuff regarding LD technology.

I personally think 12mm is too big (WX900), so I'd go OB Pro Plus 11,75mm (I think it's called). They have beautiful simple cues, too.

The looks some of their cues have are stunning, and congratulations for choosing a classy merry widow.

Mezz cues are easier to sell, though. EC-7 usually are bought off the 2nd market after just a few days, if in good shape.

If you dont want to spend money and just want to work it hard - get a black Cuetec R360 with 11,5mm or 12mm shaft (they ARE available - see https://www.cuetec.com/product-category/r360-cues/shaft/ ) like van Boening used to have.
Around 190$ and you're done, shaft actually is pretty good and quite LD.

Cheers,
M

Yes, all opinions. Joss and Schon are at the top end of "production" cues (though Joss cues are more produced in quantity than "prodctuion") IMO and I completely disagree with your first rule. I am sure there might be one or 2 exceptions but most custom cue makers back up their products sometimes excpetionally so and not always to the original purchaser.

Really just disagree with your strong opinion here. Nothing wrong with production cues but they are not better than custom cues.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I've been reading, looking, and shopping around for a few weeks now.

I've never owned my own cue before so I don't really know anything besides some of the info I can regurgitate from reading for the past few weeks.

I wanted a plain looking cue, preferably black.

I was pretty set on a Mezz EC7-K with a WX900 shaft.

Then I started reading up and checking OB's stuff and I kind like their 123. I haven't decided what shaft but I'm leaning towards the Pro+.

Like I said, I'm really only basing my decision off of things I've read. I have no experience playing any of these cues.

What do you guys think?
Right now, Ozone Billiards has McDermott July cue of the month for $204.00 to your door. Plain dark stain Merry Widow cue with G Core shaft. McDermott warranty is LIFETIME, (register the cue). No reason it won't last a lifetime. You can always add cues as you learn more about them & about what you like!