US Open Seeding

JamieDoellinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the article on AZBilliards.com for the up and coming US Open, and the new seeding format.
I know it is their tournament to run, but i have never agreed with seeding events. I dont care how Tennis, or any other sport runs their Events, Pool is its own sport, and if we continue to compare what other sports do, Pool (an any other sport in general) would lose its uniqueness.

HOWEVER; i have always felt that instead of seeding the Event based on some matrix of Player Ratings (which are always adultered and based on perceptions), why not seed the Event FIRST based on past Champions?
It treats the US Open with a little lust of "King of the Hill", and rewards your Champions with a oppertunity to seperate in the field.

The whole idea is to bring to the table what you have done here. Not what you have done somewhere else.

Using the tennis analogy, seeding in major events can only go so far, but all the Major Events are played on differernt turfs, different arena, and are unique in their own manner.

The same can be said with pool - from the different tables, cloths, balls, and the arena atmospheres.

Tennis is a bad comparisson!!!

PoolPoet

Registered
I agree with seeding..I think if we don't seed our tourneys we only align ourselves with the negative stereotypes.."dumpers and dupers" if you will. We need a drastic revision of our priorities as sportsmen, the 'confidence man' of old is done. If we can't (or more aptly won't) play a gentlemans game our sport will never flourish. Why do we have such low payouts for our World Champions, and why don't they get recognized in other venues? The awnser is simple..why would a promoter take the risk on a bunch of hustlers? In what other sport is being an A+ player a reason for scorn, rather than accolade. It's insulting, really..I'm getting to old for this shit people, let's all help each other and grind on the table..rather than on our teeth and against each other. Even in tennis a hard stare and excessive showing off is BS too.. take the mind games back to the bar and leave the poolhall to people that love the sport.

Last edited:

lockwood

lockwood
Silver Member
Single elimination tournaments are ( in all sports) seeded.
Double elimination tournaments should never be seeded.
You should not be able to have it both ways.
Jon

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single elimination tournaments are ( in all sports) seeded.
Double elimination tournaments should never be seeded.
You should not be able to have it both ways.
Jon

best way it could be said...also i hate the last minute rule changes day of the tourney...lets see if the 9 is racked on the spot this year little birdie told me it was going to be

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
well said!

I agree with seeding..I think if we don't seed our tourneys we only align ourselves with the negative stereotypes.."dumpers and dupers" if you will. We need a drastic revision of our priorities as sportsmen, the 'confidence man' of old is done. If we can't (or more aptly won't) play a gentlemans game our sport will never flourish. Why do we have such low payouts for our World Champions, and why don't they get recognized in other venues? The awnser is simple..why would a promoter take the risk on a bunch of hustlers? In what other sport is being an A+ player a reason for scorn, rather than accolade. It's insulting, really..I'm getting to old for this shit people, let's all help each other and grind on the table..rather than on our teeth and against each other. Even in tennis a hard stare and excessive showing off is BS too.. take the mind games back to the bar and leave the poolhall to people that love the sport.