What is best CUSTOM CUE FOR YOU?

Best Custom Made Cue

• Total voters

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I have hit with most of the "top" cuemakers,cuemakers hall of fame members, as well as many,many cuemakers not in hof but maybe on theur way. For the type of hit that i love there are only two cuemakers i consider the best i have ever played with. SOUTHWEST and LARRY VIGUS(although i am basing Larrys playability on a six point cue i bought used only about 3 weeks ago (wrote a review in cue reviews) i have played with alor of cues that played fine,but consistently(about 9 cues altogether) southwest have played better to me than anything i have played with. I have liked several rick howards that i have owned as well as about 20 bluegrass cues too. Alot of people say " don,t buy into the hype " of southwest cues but for me it isn,t hype at all,they are the best playing cues to me and the only other maker i would buy to "play" with is vigus. With all that said we know that hit is subjective and to each his own.

I've been really enjoying my new Vigus and I'm glad you like the cue. It does have a pretty sweet hit!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
greyghost,

The cue I had Richard Black make me back in 1978 was like the first cue in this link. It came with two shafts and ivory ferrules. I paid Richard $175 to make it.

It had a white/green speck Irish linen wrap.

http://www.blackcues.com/traditional_cues.shtml

http://www.blackcues.com/traditional_cues/four_point.shtml

have two of his shafts, ivory ferrules. they play wonderfully. nice cue ya had there bud. I'm lucky or retarted lol, I still own every cue i've ever purchased to play with, except my first which was a Mcdermott, sold it to my best friend when I graduated HS. I've only sold one that i bought to really just check out. It was the first JD blank PFD and second one he did with the scallop MOP in buttsleeve. Wasn't much impressed with it, looked great....played kinda dead to me....much too soft even though it had plenty of spine....stainless joint too so that struck me as strange, figured it would hit more lively than it did. Sure was pretty though, balance was more forward, 19 or so from cap. Some one one here picked it up i believe.

I still hit balls with other makers when i have the opportunity. I like my southwest alot, not as much as anything Joel ever made me though (weinstock, retired) and i really would love to own a tascarella eventually (will happen)

A norwella was given to me years ago, it was pretty....pin was crooked as all shit.

Had a meucci sneaky when iwas a teen for a bit....hated the thing...too whippy.

so i removed the ferrule....cut the tennon down and turned down a piece of oak from some cane work i had been doing and installed the wooden ferrule.

played really good after that actually....i had won the dam thing off a guy lol. Sold it years ago....shoulda kept it was my first cue modification :) prior to learning to make them.

i've shot alot and or owned some :
Jerry R's (great)
hueblers (good/great depending)
schon (old are great)
meucci (junk)
weinstock (favorite taper besides my own)
pfd (meh)
adams (meh/some fantastic ones)
brunswick (same as adams)
katz (house cue...awesome)
ae schmitt (housecue...awesome)
cuetek with fiberglass or wood shaft can get the job done....rather a wooden shaft cuetek over meucci even if meucci was paying me to play with one lol
unknowns
palmers (good some great)
schick (for me....not much better than meucci in how it feels and responds in hit...garbage)
Skip Weston (good/great)
jensen (good/great)
phillippe (better than expected, point work disappointed me, and didnt care for taper that much but it played super and jumped easily actually)
Sheldon Lebow (solid very good player, not my fav designs but cues play real well)

Deanocs wooden joint cue suited me just fine the few weeks he let me use one.....wonderful feel and hit, full of life.

the cues i build for myself play best for me. hands down. they will eat your children....but it could just be nepotism:p

-Greyghost

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have two of his shafts, ivory ferrules. they play wonderfully.
-Greyghost

I just talked to Richard and he is building me a new shaft with an ivory ferrule for the cue I'm using as a player now. It is a 1950s Titlist that I had Mike Pancerny convert for me a couple years ago.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=281865&highlight=pancerny

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279468&highlight=pancerny

I have two McDermott's.
--A C-14 from the 1980-84 catalog that I bought new. I recently had it refinished by Mcdermott and it looks brand new and they made me another shaft with matching ringwork.
--I have the RS-11 that C. J. Wiley used to beat Earl Strickland for first place in the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge Tournament. That was the same tournament where Earl ran the eleven racks for the million dollars. Earl took second. I bought the cue off C. J.

I have an old A. E. Schmidt cue that I bought brand new in 1973 from the company in St. Louis. It was made from a Titlist blank and still is in good shape, but it has TONS of play on it and I'm going to send it to Ryan (RAT) to get spruced up a bit.

It has so much red plastic in the butt sleeve that it looks like the tail lights of a 1950s Buick coming down the road.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273273&highlight=hawaiianeye+schmidt

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I just talked to Richard and he is building me a new shaft with an ivory ferrule for the cue I'm using as a player now. It is a 1950s Titlist that I had Mike Pancerny convert for me a couple years ago.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=281865&highlight=pancerny

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=279468&highlight=pancerny

I have two McDermott's.
--A C-14 from the 1980-84 catalog that I bought new. I recently had it refinished by Mcdermott and it looks brand new and they made me another shaft with matching ringwork.
--I have the RS-11 that C. J. Wiley used to beat Earl Strickland for first place in the 1996 Million Dollar Challenge Tournament. That was the same tournament where Earl ran the eleven racks for the million dollars. Earl took second. I bought the cue off C. J.

I have an old A. E. Schmidt cue that I bought brand new in 1973 from the company in St. Louis. It was made from a Titlist blank and still is in good shape, but it has TONS of play on it and I'm going to send it to Ryan (RAT) to get spruced up a bit.

It has so much red plastic in the butt sleeve that it looks like the tail lights of a 1950s Buick coming down the road.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273273&highlight=hawaiianeye+schmidt

keawwww....dems sum pudy cue....i guarontee

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so OTHERS are these cuemakers..

James White cue
Blackcreek
Tom Coker
Richard black
Rick Howard
Bob Danielson
JOEL HERCEK
ED PREWITT
DANNY TIBBITTS
BURTON SPAIN
Tim Scruggs
Jim Pierce
Steve Lomax
Dennis Searing

Billiardbd

Registered
That's the great thing about custom cues, they are custom for you the player. What you love someone else might hate. The best is what you play best with! All of these guys are really good!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it common place here to vote more than once in the same poll when voting for your favorite (one) cue or shaft..etc..?

It seems to me that voting once for one brand and then voting a second time for a different brand would skew the results and confuse or even mislead people that have not had a chance to hit or play those particular cues/shafts.

Like most of you I too have more than one brand cue that I like but I only have ONE favorite with several others that come a very close second, third..etc. Therefore, I vote for the ONE favorite that was ask of me from the list or choose OTHER and then reveal the brand in a post.

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

James White cue
Blackcreek
Tom Coker
Richard black
Rick Howard
Bob Danielson
JOEL HERCEK
ED PREWITT
DANNY TIBBITTS
BURTON SPAIN
Tim Scruggs
Jim Pierce
Steve Lomax
Dennis Searing

a lot of other cuemakers here......................

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't had the chance to hit with tons of different customs but so far my GK (Greg Kucharski) is the best hitting cue I've ever owned!

MalibuMike

Banned
What No Burt Schrager?

Wow, what a lame as list! No Burt Schrager, no Tim Padgett, No Kent Davies!!!!!!!
Jezz, my Runde Schon's hit better and look better then most of that list!

MalibuMike

Banned
Ariel Carmeli lol!

This is based on what I've hit:

Other is for Tom Coker. He makes some really nice stuff for the price. Black Boar would probably be the ONLY steel jointed cue I'd ever play with!Look forward to getting my Southwest's too, but I haven't hit any. With that being said, whenever I make up my mind, I mean no BS make up my mind and get a Lambros, I may never play with anything else again...ever.! I STILL remember how it felt when I went to my first SBE show back in 2001! It's a good thing that I can't get the cue I want from him yet. Now, things may have changed and it might not feel the same as I remembered, but if it does....:thud:

lol lol lol lol

dacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill McDaniel??????????????
The first list of cue makers very incomplete, doezen's of great cue makers, not on the list.

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

James White cue
Blackcreek
Tom Coker
Richard black
Rick Howard
Bob Danielson
JOEL HERCEK
ED PREWITT
DANNY TIBBITTS
BURTON SPAIN
Tim Scruggs
Jim Pierce
Steve Lomax
Dennis Searing

wish to update this thread. very informative

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm...

Truly a lot has been missed here...

Also, if we are including makers from the PI, Black Pearl cues (BlackPearlMaker) should've made the list. No disrespect to JD and Bebot (Mervin) but Al has a pristine track record.

But since he's not on this list and some of the makers in "other" are hall of famers or soon to be, I am glad Keith Josey was in this. :) Easy vote.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, less than half of the truly great custom cue-makers made that somewhat arbitrary list, and many on the list were/are much less than great.

My favorites on the list are Sugartree and Southwest.

My favorites not on the list are Burton Spain, Zylr, Tucker and Tibbitts.

I suspect Hercek cues are amazing, as friends who have similar taste love them; however, I have never had the good fortune of hitting with one.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
SW, SUGTREE, BLUSMOKE>>>>i enjoy them....MURRELL also good

Searing and TASC>>.steel joint