"Poolology", Maybe the best $10 ever spent!

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian - I've gotten way more than $10 worth from this book. I bought it on amazon. When the next edition comes out I would prefer to buy it as well.

I've noticed some of the discrepancies but, as you said, after using it for a few hours I was able to adjust for them. Plus I already have great systems for making shots that poolology doesn't work as well for (for me) - such as almost straight in shots and very thin cuts.

It's a critical piece of aiming information for me.

I think we all agree that there is no need for you to send out free copies of the new edition. The original "Poolology" was so reasonably priced in the first place and it's correct enough that we all got the math and coordinates you laid out. Just continue to correct what you think needs correcting and we'll buy the new editions.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think we all agree that there is no need for you to send out free copies of the new edition. The original "Poolology" was so reasonably priced in the first place and it's correct enough that we all got the math and coordinates you laid out. Just continue to correct what you think needs correcting and we'll buy the new editions.

You guys are great. At this rate I can put out a new edition every 3 months and retire early! (Just kidding):grin:

I will get the updated material to each of you, and anyone that would prefer a new book just pm me in confidence. I figured what I left out would be figured out by most, but a lot of people are asking for technical details, and I purposely edited that stuff out because it muddied every thing up. The book was meant to be simple, not too technical. But I am putting the tech stuff at the end of the book now.

I'm glad there are other math heads out there that want details. It gives me the opportunity to define the limitations in the system and how to fine tune it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Second Edition

The new edition of Poolology is now available. If anyone here purchased the eBook from www.lulu.com, THE FREE DOWNLOAD OF NEW EDITION IS NOT WORKING. on me with proof of purchase and I'll get the correct edition for you.

For those that have requested a printed copy to replace a printed first edition or previously revised edition, I will have those sent out this week.

The 2nd edition contains information that was edited out of the book prior to publication, including the algebraic/geometrical origins of the system and how/why it works. I also added the missing alignment values for Zone C back-cuts and a couple of extra example shots. In my original effort to make the system easier to work with, I sacrificed accuracy in a couple of small areas and rearranged a couple of position lines in Zone A (the 40 & 50 lines) for easier visualization. Now the less accurate areas (comprising about 1% of the table) are included in the diagrams and the 40 & 50 lines have been shifted to provide greater accuracy.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback! Sorry this became such a hassle.

Brian Crist

Last edited:

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry free DL not working for me.

Link takes to Lulu account I used before.
Shows $9.99 for ebook purchase. Adding to cart shows $9.99.
I can re-download the first version via my account history, but its not the new release.

Yes Im using same device when I originally purchased.

Cheers
Bob

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry free DL not working for me.

Link takes to Lulu account I used before.
Shows $9.99 for ebook purchase. Adding to cart shows $9.99.
I can re-download the first version via my account history, but its not the new release.

Yes Im using same device when I originally purchased.

Cheers
Bob

The fine people at lulu tell me that if you go ahead and re-download it, it will actually be the new edition. The only file they have on account is the newest one I uploaded yesterday. So regardless of what edition it tells you you are downloading it should be the newest.

Sorry for the hassle. Let us know if that works. If not, I'll get on the phone with their tech staff and figure out what's going on.

BC

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
brian
i purchased the ebook again because i wanted to ..:)
what app should i open it with??
also there were 2 books available
one for 21.99 the other 24.99 which one is the new edition??

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did download the file 2 times and its the same as the original. I guess its time to have a talk with the fine folks at Lulu.

The file I download is in My Account/My Downloads

If I can help in any way...let me know.

Cheers
Bob

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I did download the file 2 times and its the same as the original. I guess its time to have a talk with the fine folks at Lulu.

The file I download is in My Account/My Downloads

If I can help in any way...let me know.

Cheers
Bob

Ok. I'm on it. Thanks, Bob

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
brian
i purchased the ebook again because i wanted to ..:)
what app should i open it with??
also there were 2 books available
one for 21.99 the other 24.99 which one is the new edition??

I've got an audiobook reader/library app on my phone. I'm not sure what you might have. The 21.99 us softcover glued binding, while the 24.99 is notebook spiral binding. Don't buy another copy of the book though, because I have one for you!:smile:.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok......I talked to lulu and found out why it's not working. They save the downloaded edition under purchaser's account, and that's the only one that can repeatedly be downloaded. Hmmmm. I know how to fix it, StrokeAnalyzer, I'll pm you later. Anyone else trying to download the new edition should pm and I'll straighten it out.

Last edited:

Redneck Jim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok......I talked to lulu and found out why it's not working. They save the downloaded edition under purchaser's account, and that's the only one that can repeatedly be downloaded. Hmmmm. I know how to fix it, ........

I'm having the same problem with LuLu ( download is the old version).
Any help appreciated.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new edition of Poolology is now available. If anyone here purchased the eBook from www.lulu.com, THE FREE DOWNLOAD OF NEW EDITION IS NOT WORKING. on me with proof of purchase and I'll get the correct edition for you.

For those that have requested a printed copy to replace a printed first edition or previously revised edition, I will have those sent out this week.

The 2nd edition contains information that was edited out of the book prior to publication, including the algebraic/geometrical origins of the system and how/why it works. I also added the missing alignment values for Zone C back-cuts and a couple of extra example shots. In my original effort to make the system easier to work with, I sacrificed accuracy in a couple of small areas and rearranged a couple of position lines in Zone A (the 40 & 50 lines) for easier visualization. Now the less accurate areas (comprising about 1% of the table) are included in the diagrams and the 40 & 50 lines have been shifted to provide greater accuracy.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback! Sorry this became such a hassle.

Brian Crist

Brian: Is the new edition on Amazon? I just searched and it shows the E-Book with a date of April 28th and price of $7.99.

I have the original version on ebook from Amazon on March 16th for $9.99 - love it BTW! I too have no problem with an additional purchase for the second edition.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian: Is the new edition on Amazon? I just searched and it shows the E-Book with a date of April 28th and price of $7.99.

I have the original version on ebook from Amazon on March 16th for $9.99 - love it BTW! I too have no problem with an additional purchase for the second edition.

The new edition will not be available on Amazon or Apple's iBooktore until the end of June I believe. I'll pm you RobMan.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I am new here so I will be very careful what I say. This aiming section title does say "argue to your heart's content". So I will...in a polite way. This poolology is the most complicated stuff...with all these arithmetic formulas. Why in the world would anyone want to get involved with this over CTE? In CTE he shows that you just have four shots to mess with...15-30-45-60 degree shots and that's it. Get perception (that's the easy part), aim cue stick one half tip from perception target, pivot to center cueball, and make the shot on the center verticle axis somewhere..the ball goes in the hole. I've never had a formal lesson, just watched youtube of Mr. Shuffett. And have only been doing it for about four weeks. CTE doesn't seem complicated at all to me and appears to be a better, simplified, method. I'm moving into the application of english next. I actually ran 56 balls in a straight pool game using it. I don't know who was more amazed, me or my opponent. I won $18.00 and that pleased me a lot.

It is apparent that you have not purchased Poolology. Lol. There are no "arithmetic formulas". Not sure what system you're talking about, but it's not Poolology.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just want to chime in that after working with this method for a couple months, my ball potting percentage has increased pretty dramatically. I am a "B" level player by most accounts, and really only play once or twice per week. I can imagine if I had a table at home and could practice a bit more, the improvement would only be multiplied.

I use an app for playing in 14.1 league that tracks misses,safeties, fouls, etc. and displays the percentages at the end of each game. In my recent matches, my miss percentage has dropped; now some of this may be due to smarter play as well (more safeties as a percentage), however there is no doubt I am hitting with much more confidence. Zones 1 & 2 are probably 95% of the shots in 14.1.

Just want to give a shout out to Brian for publishing this AND at such an affordable price. There are lots of systems that work and work well, but for me, this was the easiest to adopt and implement successfully. YMMV.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is apparent that you have not purchased Poolology. Lol. There are no "arithmetic formulas". Not sure what system you're talking about, but it's not Poolology.

Hey BC, wut up dude? Quick question, is a angle calculation of cb/ob relationship relative to the angle of attack you apply to address the shot itself?

That question does not make sense obviously because the cb/ob relationship is never in flux, but do you always come into a shot at the same angle of attack or do you favor a particular offset for certain shots and do you address this in your book?

I know for a fact there are certain cb/ob relationships that force a player into undesireable offset attack angles wether they know it or not....or like it.

Thanks

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey BC, wut up dude? Quick question, is a angle calculation of cb/ob relationship relative to the angle of attack you apply to address the shot itself?

That question does not make sense obviously because the cb/ob relationship is never in flux, but do you always come into a shot at the same angle of attack or do you favor a particular offset for certain shots and do you address this in your book?

I know for a fact there are certain cb/ob relationships that force a player into undesireable offset attack angles wether they know it or not....or like it.

Thanks

The aiming method in Poolology simply gives you an aim point for pocketing a ball, which provides an aim line (center CB to the given aim point). In the book I really don't address coming down into the shot, if that's what you mean by "attack".

With a known line of aim, all a player has to do is step into the shot in a manner that brings the cue stick/stroke directly along that aim line. I don't cover it in Poolology. If so, I guess I'd say to imagine the aim line as a vertical plane splitting the room. It would extend from the table to the ceiling, and also from the table to the floor. A right-handed player would typically place the toe of his right shoe across the line where this plane meets the floor, and higher up on this same vertical plane is where the right elbow should be. The left foot takes a step toward the table, doesn't matter if it's a step closer and to the left or just a step left like a prone position stance. It's whatever is comfortable for the player. The most important part of stepping into the shot is that everything involving the stroke should be stacked on that vertical plane, which is also the line of aim. Right foot, right elbow, right hand, butt of the cue l, the bridge portion of the bridge hand, the shaft of the cue, etc....everything stacked vertically on that line. But it's not in the book.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Just want to chime in that after working with this method for a couple months, my ball potting percentage has increased pretty dramatically. I am a "B" level player by most accounts, and really only play once or twice per week. I can imagine if I had a table at home and could practice a bit more, the improvement would only be multiplied.

I use an app for playing in 14.1 league that tracks misses,safeties, fouls, etc. and displays the percentages at the end of each game. In my recent matches, my miss percentage has dropped; now some of this may be due to smarter play as well (more safeties as a percentage), however there is no doubt I am hitting with much more confidence. Zones 1 & 2 are probably 95% of the shots in 14.1.

Just want to give a shout out to Brian for publishing this AND at such an affordable price. There are lots of systems that work and work well, but for me, this was the easiest to adopt and implement successfully. YMMV.

Thanks you so much! :grin-square:. I'm glad to hear the method is providing you with positive results. Many players from around the world are contacting me via Facebook and YouTube just to let me know how much the book has improved their game. It means more the world to me, and I can't say thank you enough!

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The aiming method in Poolology simply gives you an aim point for pocketing a ball, which provides an aim line (center CB to the given aim point). In the book I really don't address coming down into the shot, if that's what you mean by "attack".

With a known line of aim, all a player has to do is step into the shot in a manner that brings the cue stick/stroke directly along that aim line. I don't cover it in Poolology. If so, I guess I'd say to imagine the aim line as a vertical plane splitting the room. It would extend from the table to the ceiling, and also from the table to the floor. A right-handed player would typically place the toe of his right shoe across the line where this plane meets the floor, and higher up on this same vertical plane is where the right elbow should be. The left foot takes a step toward the table, doesn't matter if it's a step closer and to the left or just a step left like a prone position stance. It's whatever is comfortable for the player. The most important part of stepping into the shot is that everything involving the stroke should be stacked on that vertical plane, which is also the line of aim. Right foot, right elbow, right hand, butt of the cue l, the bridge portion of the bridge hand, the shaft of the cue, etc....everything stacked vertically on that line. But it's not in the book.

Thanks.

Yes, that's what I meant about attack.

I typically place my right toe on that plain as a starting point and if I line up on it, get down and kick my elbow to what feels like a exaggerated "right", then my elbow and back arm or tricep is dead on line with the shot line but it doesn't always add up to a straight execution blah blah blah.

I wish it did.

I bought a camera yesterday and I got a bunch of flaws.

Thanks.