Hof

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Is the HOF for cue builders a real honor, or is it politics? I ask because there are some definitive omissions, that make me curious.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are transparent to what and why you do you are usually not judged.
There you have it, a typical answer from a guild that I do not trust even 1mm; a guild that still touts "LD shafts are an insult to the pool players intelligence".
And the answer above just confirms my believe.

Sorry I can't help you with the question really, but these kind of halls of fames usually are heavy politics.

Cheers,
M

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There you have it, a typical answer from a guild that I do not trust even 1mm; a guild that still touts "LD shafts are an insult to the pool players intelligence".

Sorry I can't help you with the question really, but these kind of halls of fames usually are heavy politics.

Cheers,
M

Excuse me?

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member

Cheers,
M
Please read the rules for posting in this forum. Quite frankly your reply is out of line.

Alan

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is the HOF for cue builders a real honor, or is it politics? I ask because there are some definitive omissions, that make me curious.

I can’t answer for the American Cuemakers Association Hall of Fame as I am not a member and know very little about their policies. But I can answer for the International Cuemakers Hall of Fame. I think it is an honor indeed to recognized by your peers for your contributions to our art and industry. When you cast doubt on it because there are people who are not in that you feel are worthy I would give you some things to consider.

The ICA normally puts in two new Hall of Fame members per year. And there is a vote. What you do not see is that some of the ones you think should be in there got edged out in the vote by another one from their category. And at only two per year going it will take time to get people in. One was on there about four or five times before getting in.

I have had people call me asking why their favorite was not in there yet. The simple answer is either they have not yet been nominated or have not yet won the vote when nominated. As for some being in that people do not think built as nice of cues as some others, you have to look at the over all contribution they made to our industry and how long they were at it.

Now if I am correct the ACA puts one Hall of Fame member in every two years so it should be no surprise many of your favorites have not got in there yet.

But even at two per year like we do you may have to be patient to see your favorites get in there. And to be honest with there being at least a few thousand cuemakers now most of them will never be in the hall of fame.

As far as politics go if you mean voting and nomination process. Yes there is one. We open forum up for nomination suggestions and when we get a consensus on who has the most support to go on the ballot, we put them on and let the members vote. But if you mean politics as in the nastiness we see in our national presidential elections where people are cut throat against the opposition there is non of that.

I will add that the voting is done by cue makers, cue repairmen and industry supplier members so they have a little better understanding of the real contributions individuals make to our industry than the average public.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I am not a member of the ACA, but have been & still may be(albeit inactive) a member of the ICA. To follow on what Chris said, as a voting member I would consider several criteria when making a vote, and none of the factors were political. Things I weighed were innovation in design or construction, longevity of career, impact they had on the industry, etc.

Case in point, Kersenbrock. The guy was innovative in both design and construction. He either pioneered or influenced the big pin with flat thread into wood, compound butt taper, parabolic taper, table saw shaft machine, etc. The look we all know of as a, South West Design, was born in his brain and first introduced by him. Easy vote.

Another is Thomas Wayne. He showed the entire cue making community that not only is CNC a viable tool, but showed us to what extremes it could be used in both design AND construction. In the cue making world, he's akin to the guy who introduced steel to buildings. Just like we wouldn't have sky scrapers and strip malls without that guy, we wouldn't have the amazing intricate designs we see in cues if TW hadn't awed everybody with the things he could do with CNC. Easy vote.

There are several makers with their own individual story who not only deserve to be remembered, but it would do us all well to memorialize them for their accomplishments and contributions. It's nothing to do with politics. It's preserving our history, charting our progress, and reminding ourselves that the cues we make today are possible because of the guys who laid out the blue print. We occupy a tiny sub-culture that most of the world knows nothing about. The guys who get inducted into the HOF spent their lives advancing a craft. Honoring them with thanks and memory is the least we can do.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Eric Crisp for President! Your post just confirms why your so liked and respected. Well said

I am not a member of the ACA, but have been & still may be(albeit inactive) a member of the ICA. To follow on what Chris said, as a voting member I would consider several criteria when making a vote, and none of the factors were political. Things I weighed were innovation in design or construction, longevity of career, impact they had on the industry, etc.

Case in point, Kersenbrock. The guy was innovative in both design and construction. He either pioneered or influenced the big pin with flat thread into wood, compound butt taper, parabolic taper, table saw shaft machine, etc. The look we all know of as a, South West Design, was born in his brain and first introduced by him. Easy vote.

Another is Thomas Wayne. He showed the entire cue making community that not only is CNC a viable tool, but showed us to what extremes it could be used in both design AND construction. In the cue making world, he's akin to the guy who introduced steel to buildings. Just like we wouldn't have sky scrapers and strip malls without that guy, we wouldn't have the amazing intricate designs we see in cues if TW hadn't awed everybody with the things he could do with CNC. Easy vote.

There are several makers with their own individual story who not only deserve to be remembered, but it would do us all well to memorialize them for their accomplishments and contributions. It's nothing to do with politics. It's preserving our history, charting our progress, and reminding ourselves that the cues we make today are possible because of the guys who laid out the blue print. We occupy a tiny sub-culture that most of the world knows nothing about. The guys who get inducted into the HOF spent their lives advancing a craft. Honoring them with thanks and memory is the least we can do.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Your comments about we being a tiny sub culture is very true. Our Hall of fame member Herman Rambow was buried in a family plot with no headstone. The ICA and several others helped pay for him to have a marker honoring him as a cuemaker. His family got a hold of the people who oversaw this and his family had no idea the modern public had ever even heard of their cuemaking grandfather. They were thrilled to know he was in two hall of fames and was so famous among the industry he was once a leader in.

Grave Marker Link Below.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=236914&highlight=Rambow

Last edited: