Backing up the cue ball, reverse

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
How is it explained how one player can easily back up the cue ball vast distance from vast distances and another struggles with it. I start running into trouble at the 4 diamond apart distance on a 9' table. My very best stroke will only bring it back where I started; about 4 diamonds. I'm sure it has something to do with getting lower on the cue ball but I'm worried about launching it through the window. :smile: How can strokes be so different? Get low on the cue ball and follow through, right? How can that action be so different between players? Just don't get it. Watch this Russian in "the Billiard Brothers" on Youtube in the Ultra Draw drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfE6z5nvbWs&list=PLm-NYu03DbMtqs8myB8MYKgRx0iJgQlB4&index=2. Talk about a great stroke! He's not stroking that hard either.
Has anyone ever invented a mechanical stroker with the perfect stroke? Something like Iron Byron in the golf testing world.

Hi everyone,

several good advices and descriptions already has shown up-

denwhit:

what you also shouldn t forget-
Everyone of the billard-brothers are playing at pro-speed. You can take me for granted, that EVERYONE of these 5-6 young-guns can beat anyone on the world (not everytime...but they play definitley at pro speed..not just simple A players).

They ran through fantastic training programs- workin with world class instructors- and they practice DAILY. They have not j ust the physical things you need, but also the mental stuff right from the ground. Everyone has fantastic fundamentals.

To make *power draw shots* like the kid in this video, you need a nice amount of acceleration--- so here will also a physical ability is needed- to be able to get through whitey with a VERY HIGH acceleration. Maybe an acceleration, which is not everyone able to put on the cueball/-

Just my 2 cents- noone should drive nuts, just because he cannot make draw shots like the russian cannon does it in the video :)

best from overseas,
have a SMOOTH stroke :)

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips for draw

Lots of good advice so far

Grip should be very loose all the way through the stroke. The stroke should be very relaxed and effortless. One drill I teach is to hum to yourself during the stroke paying attention to the pitch/tone. If you tense up during the stroke your will hear a change in the pitch/tone. If your are relaxed all the way through the stroke you will hear the hum stay the same.

Tip contact on object ball. A high number of players I teach drop their elbow during the stroke and this results in contacting the cue ball higher than you think. With Jim Rempe cue ball or Elephant Balls you can see the chalk mark clearly on the ball where you make contact. you can try this on a Striped ball (align it a way that you are looking at the number right side up and centered, then strike the ball aiming slightly below the number - see if the chalk mark is where you aimed on the ball. If you are hitting higher than expected, then you can aim lower and lower. Try to hit lower and lower until you start to miscue.

It is technique not power. If you are trying to draw the ball then you are most likely muscling up and ruining any chance of a good stroke. Stay relaxed and accelerate smoothly through the cue ball making sure to have a good follow through. Think of it as "keep your tip on the cue ball for as long as possible".

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

several good advices and descriptions already has shown up-

denwhit:

what you also shouldn t forget-
Everyone of the billard-brothers are playing at pro-speed. You can take me for granted, that EVERYONE of these 5-6 young-guns can beat anyone on the world (not everytime...but they play definitley at pro speed..not just simple A players).

They ran through fantastic training programs- workin with world class instructors- and they practice DAILY. They have not j ust the physical things you need, but also the mental stuff right from the ground. Everyone has fantastic fundamentals.

To make *power draw shots* like the kid in this video, you need a nice amount of acceleration--- so here will also a physical ability is needed- to be able to get through whitey with a VERY HIGH acceleration. Maybe an acceleration, which is not everyone able to put on the cueball/-

Just my 2 cents- noone should drive nuts, just because he cannot make draw shots like the russian cannon does it in the video :)

best from overseas,
have a SMOOTH stroke :)

Just now saw your post and wanted to say thanks. Yes the Russians are trained like Olympic athletes. No tattoos, no ear rings, etc.... not at all like our pool players. I understand they have jerked one or more of these guys and made him go to college. In the USA, the kids are encouraged to drop out and play pool. ha.
I keep expecting the Russians to win everything!