Carolina Cue rehab project

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up with this carolina cue a while back off of ebay, price was right for what it is. Got looking at it again today and the issues and was wondering what some of the cue makers here think on trying to get the cue back to its glory.

Issue #1: I assume a ding that somone decided was a good idea to go to town with sand paper right below the joint.
14dg9r4.jpg

js11yf.jpg

Issue#2: i assume the same issue as #1 but they tried to refinish and it turned out horrible.
mi19wz.jpg

I was thinking perhaps the butt could be turned down, joint and all to get a nice constant taper again, possibly a differert piece after the wrap to fix issue 2?

Anyone here want to tackle this, i know this is going to be a bit of work with having to refinish, and new wrap on top of it all. How much would something like this cost?

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The price might have been right for what it WAS at one time which wasnt that much to begin with.. You can have the sleeve milled off and redo it. Then strip the cue and refinish it. Problem is it'd cost more than the cue would be worth...

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The price might have been right for what it WAS at one time which wasnt that much to begin with.. You can have the sleeve milled off and redo it. Then strip the cue and refinish it. Problem is it'd cost more than the cue would be worth...

Kind of what I'm worried about, sleeve just looks horrible and is the main issue. I can deal with the dirty wrap and everything above but the sleeve just kills it lol.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Kind of what I'm worried about, sleeve just looks horrible and is the main issue. I can deal with the dirty wrap and everything above but the sleeve just kills it lol.

Maybe one could turn the sleeve down and add linen wrap but leave the decorative ring between the linens? Build up a little with epoxy before linen if needed..... Just a thought to make it playable......

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People with no knowledge and sand paper really suck. I liked the people at Carolina and their cues. For the time they were at it and who trained them. They did some nice stuff.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I passed that cue up myself. Probably was a nice player. I dig cues with those rings.

But the thing has been hacked pretty badly.

IMHO the only right way to fix it is to have the butt sleeve replaced. Whether or not the butt sleeve rings are salvageable is unknown.

Best to get it in the hands of a repair man.

Is it worth it? Hard to say.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning down the butt to get rid of the low spot would be a bad idea as it would be much smaller than the current taper.

I suggest replacing the butt sleeve, save the rings and butt cap, refinish and rewrap.

Yes, it is no longer original but it will look nice and make a great playing cue.