Who was is MYRON ZOWNIR?? Byrne Estate

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any body know? In going through Byrne's letters he gets a lot from this gentleman, all handwritten with very good handwriting.

Also was "Cue Ball Kelly"'s real name Carl Zingale???

Thanks,

Dennis Dieckman

PS: for The Byrne Estate Catalogue go to www.cuemaker.com

Attachments

• Scan_20170515.jpg
    Scan_20170515.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 194

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know much about him. In 1988, he self-published a small book (24pp) titled "How to Play the Game of Pool." I'm not home at the moment, so I don't have access to it to see what is in there.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myron Zownir - Myron lived in NY - I met him in the late Jimmy Cattrano Jr's rm in Rego Park circa 80,s- where he played a lot. He told me he in fact was a referee in a World St pool tournament . When he retired he did write a short pamphlet on playing pool especially 14.1 his favorite - break shots, stroke using spin on the ball, clusters etc. He passed away in the 80's - he did have a brother in New Mexico and I believe more than likely he also passed away.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Myron was a fixture in the NYC pool world from the 1960's onward. He was a good 14.1 player, but not good enough to win any major tournament. He was a quiet gentleman who often took the time to teach newbies the basics of pool. I think he may have worked as a counterman at Chelsea Billiards in the 1980's.

Also, yes, Cue Ball Kelly's real name was Carl Zingale. He was inducted into the Straight Pool Hall of Fame last year.