Problem shooting straight in shots

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting straight Shots

sbordona...Here's what to do. Get a laser level ($10 at the hardware store or walmart), and some hole reinforcements (those little white paper circles). Lazer a line from corner pocket to corner pocket. Put the white circles on the lazer line, with the lazer running through the hole in the circle. Put them 2, 3, and 4 diamonds apart. Now you have an exact straight line, aimed to the middle of the pocket opening. Set the CB and OB on the circles. Video yourself looking at the camera, while you're down on the shot (video yourself from head on). You should be able to see if you're lined up correctly on the shot...or slightly off (I'm guessing you'll be slightly off, as I see this problem with many students). If it turns out you are in alignment, then you have a problem with how you're delivering the cuestick. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Good info, Scott......................

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, i'm not an instructor. So, rather than respond with advice, I am posting this so the instructors here can give me advice about this same problem.

I work on my straight ins at least 1-2 racks each time I step up to the table and I have gone through scenarios like the one op describes. My take on your situation is that the object ball is missing slightly left because the cue ball was shot slightly right.

Therefore, you have an unintended twist in your shot. Others have obviously noted this and recommended fixes but maybe try this: turn your body towards your cue a little bit (if you're a right-handed player).

I feel like I sometimes "square up" too much and then my arm swings towards my body. When it does this, at impact, the cue is pointed slightly to the right (hence missing slightly left). I feel like this was an issue because if I basically face my cue stick (e.g., I turn all the way to the right) my arm tends to swing more to the 'right' in order to avoid my body. While this is an extreme example, I feel like this happens in more subtle ways based on how I am standing relative to the shot.

See if this helps and let us know. Instructors, thoughts on this approach, all other things being equal?

I think the OP has eliminated the unintended twist possibility and has come to the conclusion that the issue is alignment.

While your suggestion about turning towards the cue stick is thoughtful and it shows that you really think about things and are willing to get creative, I'm afraid it may be a little too creative in this instance. I think that in this case that would be a compensation rather than an actual fix.

Alignment is very tricky. There has to be synchronicity among feet, head, arm position and weight distribution. So any turns in the torso must be accompanied by a tweaking of all of the other aspects as well. I suspect the issue is a lack of synchronization among those body parts to begin with.

Keep thinking, though...

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the OP has eliminated the unintended twist possibility and has come to the conclusion that the issue is alignment.

While your suggestion about turning towards the cue stick is thoughtful and it shows that you really think about things and are willing to get creative, I'm afraid it may be a little too creative in this instance. I think that in this case that would be a compensation rather than an actual fix.

Alignment is very tricky. There has to be synchronicity among feet, head, arm position and weight distribution. So any turns in the torso must be accompanied by a tweaking of all of the other aspects as well. I suspect the issue is a lack of synchronization among those body parts to begin with.

Keep thinking, though...

I appreciate your thoughts, Fran. My reaction is that my thoughts re: body alignment is just one aspect of what you describe as synchronization. I feel like those of us who are basically just starting out in this game get frustrated with what is ostensibly a simple straight-in shot not being repeatable. I, personally, start to look for reasons why the shot isn't going in, rather than grasping that a lot of variables might come together with just more time on the table.

But my conclusion is that everything (i.e., head position, wrist, arms etc.) should be considered so as to ingrain good, versus bad, habits. Which is why I turn to all of your comments here.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your thoughts, Fran. My reaction is that my thoughts re: body alignment is just one aspect of what you describe as synchronization. I feel like those of us who are basically just starting out in this game get frustrated with what is ostensibly a simple straight-in shot not being repeatable. I, personally, start to look for reasons why the shot isn't going in, rather than grasping that a lot of variables might come together with just more time on the table.

But my conclusion is that everything (i.e., head position, wrist, arms etc.) should be considered so as to ingrain good, versus bad, habits. Which is why I turn to all of your comments here.

True, working on one thing at a time does have it's benefits, but some things shouldn't be worked on separately --- such as stance issues.

Think of it as a child taking his first steps. Getting the feet moving isn't enough. There has to be overall balance, knee flex, arm swing, heel to toe balance shift, etc. in walking.

It's not as difficult as it seems to get the synchronization of a good billiard stance and alignment in working order. For sure, it's a 'Eureka' moment when you find it. It just feels right, like walking. That's because your body parts are no longer fighting against your anatomy.

Last edited:

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick note. If one is not able to consistently pot medium to long distance straight balls (where your bridge hand rest comfortably on the table), doesn't it mean that potting angle balls are more luck than accuracy for you? Since you can't deliver the cue ball to its intended location.

JC

Coos Cues
A mild see saw stroke for straight in shots does wonders in my experience.

Not the final stroke just the aiming strokes.

If the rest of your shots are going ok this can help.

Don't laugh until you try it. No strings or lasers needed.

JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A mild see saw stroke for straight in shots does wonders in my experience.

Not the final stroke just the aiming strokes.

If the rest of your shots are going ok this can help.

Don't laugh until you try it. No strings or lasers needed.

JC

If I understand you correctly, that means that you're lifting up your shoulder in your back stroke during your practice strokes. How does this help? Have you figured out why this helps you? I'm curious.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
My two cents are that I shoot long straight in shots all of the time until I find an appropriate grip on the cue and the stroke to make them consistently.

Then I write down exactly how I grip the cue. Every day I shoot long straight shots too start the day and to make sure that my form is good so that I can sink many in a row.

No sense even playing until you can consistently drain the long, straight shots.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a problem with straight in shots.

First, clean your balls properly.
Then, try shooting straight shots as slowly as possible, just slightly above center of the CB.
Are you still missing?
Vary the shots in distance (CB -> OB), but not in shooting speed.

Watch out if you're stroking down at the cloth or if you're going level at around 90 degrees against the cloth.

Lastly you can try to pull the cue slighty towards your body, stretch your body slightly and use your body as the 3rd contact point for the cue (1st chin, 2nd right hand, 3rd body).
3 contact points stabilize the motion and it's frequently used in snooker, too.

Had the same problem.

Cheers,
M

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
My effort in perfecting my stroke started with donuts, laser, two GoPro cameras and shooting 1000 straight in shots staying down on each shot with center ball on each shot. I do this once per week, because not only is my straight in shots improving, but my thin cuts are improving as well. Takes me about 3 hours to shot 1000 balls in the pocket on a ball return table.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...What you're doing is total overkill. You can accomplish better results (and it takes a heck of a lot shorter time period) by focusing like you are, but limiting it to 50 shots, instead of 1000. The brain begins to fatigue quickly after about 20 minutes. Super repetition is counter productive to quality learning. The best practice sessions are 20 minutes, twice a day...once you understand what you're trying to practice, why you're practicing it, and having a way to measure your improvement/results. ALWAYS finish up a disciplined practice session with some free play afterwards. This can be just shooting balls, play a match with an opponent, playing the ghost, etc.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

My effort in perfecting my stroke started with donuts, laser, two GoPro cameras and shooting 1000 straight in shots staying down on each shot with center ball on each shot. I do this once per week, because not only is my straight in shots improving, but my thin cuts are improving as well. Takes me about 3 hours to shot 1000 balls in the pocket on a ball return table.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
If I understand you correctly, that means that you're lifting up your shoulder in your back stroke during your practice strokes. How does this help? Have you figured out why this helps you? I'm curious.

I think it's the same basic principal as "grounding". It dials in the vertical plane of the stroke to the center of the cue ball.

If I had a better stroke this probably wouldn't help me. But I am what I am at this point and it does help. A great deal in fact.

JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's the same basic principal as "grounding". It dials in the vertical plane of the stroke to the center of the cue ball.

If I had a better stroke this probably wouldn't help me. But I am what I am at this point and it does help. A great deal in fact.

JC

But there really isn't a vertical plane of a pool stroke, is there? (I guess, unless you're shooting a masse shot.) It sounds dangerous to me --- more like a compensation rather than a fix. If it's a compensation, then you really haven't found the root of your problem yet. You should keep searching.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But there really isn't a vertical plane of a pool stroke, is there? ...
The "vertical plane of the shot" is the imaginary plane that is perpendicular to the surface of the table and includes the center of the cue ball and the center of the ghost ball. For a center-ball shot, the cue stick will be in this plane, and with an ideal orthodox stroke will remain in the plane.

The "vertical plane of the stroke" will be rotated slightly from the other plane for shots with side spin due to squirt and swerve. The cue stick will ideally remain in that plane until the tip contacts the cue ball.

JC

Coos Cues
But there really isn't a vertical plane of a pool stroke, is there? (I guess, unless you're shooting a masse shot.) It sounds dangerous to me --- more like a compensation rather than a fix. If it's a compensation, then you really haven't found the root of your problem yet. You should keep searching.

I didn't say I had a problem and I'm not in search of the root of it. I described a way to aim straight in shots that helps my accuracy.

There are some very good pros with a vertical element to their stroke. SVB for instance. Since your lower arm is a pendulum it's there naturally unless you compensate against it.

JC

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't say I had a problem and I'm not in search of the root of it. I described a way to aim straight in shots that helps my accuracy.

There are some very good pros with a vertical element to their stroke. SVB for instance. Since your lower arm is a pendulum it's there naturally unless you compensate against it.

JC

Well, you did say "If I had a better stroke this probably wouldn't help me."

As for the vertical element you're mentioning -- are you referring to the Filipino stroke? ---Because other than that loop stroke that some players do, you won't see top players lifting up their arm in their backstroke. That's not a good thing to do. You have a better chance of throwing your cue off line by doing that than not---- UNLESS you are compensating for a stroke or alignment flaw.

Dropping your arm in the forward stroke --- sure that's done by many pros. Not a problem there.

JC

Coos Cues

As for the vertical element you're mentioning -- are you referring to the Filipino stroke? ---Because other than that loop stroke that some players do, you won't see top players lifting up their arm in their backstroke. That's not a good thing to do. You have a better chance of throwing your cue off line by doing that than not---- UNLESS you are compensating for a stroke or alignment flaw.

Dropping your arm in the forward stroke --- sure that's done by many pros. Not a problem there.

So you won't see top players doing it unless you do? Then you call it a loop stroke and it's ok?

Never mind, I guess it really doesn't help me at all. Just my imagination. Sorry for being wrong.:(

JC

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
When I start having problems with straight in shots, I do a CTE Pro 1 sweep...left edge to left edge, pivot center as I set in, and I drill them. Works great for break shots, too. I've monkeyed around with CTE on all shots, but haven't spent a lot of time on it...but straight in shots it works great for me, especially if my confidence is suffering.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

I think Mike Davis does this...it's a pump handle stroke. He claims he took it up during his formative years, it worked and he kept it. Not that it's advisable. But, as said many times here, there are some pretty funky ill-advised strokes in some top players that can't be explained and shouldn't be copied.