U.S. Open update

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that needs to be clarified before players start to send in their entry money is that unless the whole $75k is added to the PRIZE FUND then the event will be a category 2 event and not a category 3.

The ruse of indicating high levels of prize money has got tournaments a higher ranking tariff that the were qualified for in the past.
The WPA rules clearly state that the money must be added to the prize money and not some Slush Fund.

With the points yield reduced then some players may not consider that these points may not have a significant enough impact on their WPA Ranking to justify entering the US Open.

It is URGENT that this loophole is cleared up. NOW, ASAP, PDQ

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that needs to be clarified before players start to send in their entry money is that unless the whole $75k is added to the PRIZE FUND then the event will be a category 2 event and not a category 3.

The ruse of indicating high levels of prize money has got tournaments a higher ranking tariff that the were qualified for in the past.
The WPA rules clearly state that the money must be added to the prize money and not some Slush Fund.

With the points yield reduced then some players may not consider that these points may not have a significant enough impact on their WPA Ranking to justify entering the US Open.

Good point, Doug. I had not realized that. Thanks for chiming in. :)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past i thought it was always "Barry paid their entry" Not they were given free entry. If they are given free entry-that's just results in a smaller prize pool. What good would that be? It's early and im groggy-not even sure if this is part of the argument here.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

QUOTE=pro9dg;5210442]One thing that needs to be clarified before players start to send in their entry money is that unless the whole $75k is added to the PRIZE FUND then the event will be a category 2 event and not a category 3."

This question needs to be answered today, and answered clearly, no smoke and mirrors or government math. Points #2 or $3 category? ALL 75K will be in prize fund? Johnnyt

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the spectator seat money in escrow too with Pat, so that if when one gets there and has a different seat with no view or with 1/2 of Jo Schmoe next to him crammed into his lap, they can a refund? :boring2:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever you say.

I just hope you don't pull a Roberta and tuck tail when shit hits the fan.

Come on, cut Jay and Roberta a break . Save your bullets for Barry

A) You work for Accu-Stats and they NEED the DVD's. No Open No DVD's.
B) Bonus Ball and the players not entering ruined that Texas tournament.
C) I'm tired of people with something to gain coming on here to tell us we're the cause of something not working. Some of us on here have good memories and aren't bad at math. Go pedal your BS somewhere else. Johnnyt

++1 Excellent post Johnny
Give it to them
What is nauseating is US Open suppliers coming here pontificating like some Pope waving his stick preaching "All ye Azb sinners, repent or ye shall all go to hell" :grin:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These online mistakes are catching on. What I mean is that to qualify to be a Category 2 event the tournament must have $75k added to the Prize Money
The number of free entries that get a spot in the tournament is irrelevant to this. So 112 payerplayers plus the $16000 plus the deposited $75k totals up to $203000.
If this is not paid out then the next scenario is $187,000 being paid out and it means that the added money drops to $59,000 which brings it into the $50,000 to $75,000 threshold for sanctioning a category 3 event.
One solution might be for BB to drop the guaranteed added money down to $50,000 and then give the past winners guaranteed prie money (win or lose). With this guarantee then past champions could post their own entry fees. Less than half of them are likely to play anyway so that reduces BB's total contribution down to around $58,000
and frees up another possible 8 spots at a grand apiece.
With the money saved he could afford to get Michaela Tabb over to do some much needed positive PR WORK as well as some later stage refereeing. She is one of the few people in the game who would atract such media attention.
Anybody else need problems solved?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I still have a friendly $50 open to Barry, Jay or anyone else that the $75,000 added is not met by July 25th. It has to be the full $75k and not more playing of numbers that has been identified in this thread.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have a friendly $50 open to Barry, Jay or anyone else that the $75,000 added is not met by July 25th. It has to be the full $75k and not more playing of numbers that has been identified in this thread.

Shooting Fish In A Barrell, Watchez?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming Announces US Open Escrow Details
Pat Fleming
Mar. 17, 2015
Beginning April 1, 2015, Accu-Stats will be the only authorized entity to accept the $1,000 entry fees for the 2015 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. The event will take place at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia on October 23-30, 2015. Accu-Stats will also be collecting the $75,000 in added money derived from ticket sales, sponsorships, and promoter Barry Behrman.

These monies will be deposited into a Bank of America bank account for the purpose of paying out the projected $188,000 in prize money. One of the reasons for this action is to guarantee that the event will be sanctioned by the WPA as a Tier 2 event which awards more WPA points to the high finishers.

Accu-Stats/Pat Fleming is the only person authorized to accept entry fees.

There are several ways to pay your $1,000 entry fee. They are:
Mail check or money order payable to Accu-Stats Video Productions to Accu-Stats, PO Box 299, Bloomingdale, New Jersey 07403
Log on to accu-stats.com and pay your entry fee on line by check/money order, credit card or PayPal.
Log on to Ticketfly.com and pay your entry fee on line plus applicable Ticketfly fees
Pay on site with check, money order, or cash.

Accu-Stats/Pat Fleming is the only person authorized to sign the prize money checks.
There are several ways to collect prize money:

Business check (no fee)
Cashier’s check ($10 fee)
Wire Transfer ($35 fee)
Automatic deposit into your Bank of America bank account (no fee)
Wire transfer (US Currency) to foreign bank (a fee is charged)

Well itsfroze it doesn't get any clearer yhan your highlighted paragraph. Well spotted!
So to get Class 2 status the money has to rise to $203,000 and to do that - $112k + $16k + $75k

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay!

Thanks Jay, for all you have done and attempt to do to make pool better and share information. I sort of feel like an idiot for mentioning past money owed to players. Please accept my apology.

I truly hope the US Open takes a turn for the better and I believe you are attempting to assist with that. Best Wishes!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well itsfroze it doesn't get any clearer yhan your highlighted paragraph. Well spotted!
So to get Class 2 status the money has to rise to $203,000 and to do that - $112k + $16k + $75k

I would be inclined to agree with that the entry fee portion has to be number of players x$1000 i.e. $128K NOT number of paid players i.e. $112K
Imagine a extreme scenario where only 2 players paid with 126 free players so $2k entry feesand promoter pays $75K so total prizemoney $77K. In such a scenario, it would be ridiculous to say the promoter added money $75K

So we all agree that if there is full field with 16 free players, total "theoretical" prizemoney=$187K
But as you point out the added money in this case would be $59K not $75K which means it falls under Category 3 instead of Category 2 according to WPA sanctioning rules below
But what is difference between Category 3 and 2? Lower WPA points?

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/tournament_sanctioning_catalogue
III When does a tournament need to be sanctioned:

Sanctioning is required when an event will include players from other intercontinental memberships that make up a minimum of eight players, or one-eight of the field, and has an added prize fund on offer in excess of USD 30,000.

Categories A and B.

These tournaments are always assigned by the WPA and therefore sanctioning is automatic and mandatory.

Category C.

Ranking events have three categories, 1, 2 & 3.

Category 1 – World Championships, minimum 32 players and minimum added prize money is $100,000

Category 2 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering $75,000 or more in added prize money

Category 3 – Events with a minimum of 32 players and offering between $50,000 and $75,000 of added prize money

Category D.

Open and Invitational events the following criteria determines any requirements:-

a the amount of added prize money being paid. (refer point III)

b 1/8 part of the participant field must come from two or more continents.

IV Entry & Sanction fees:

Single entry events will be subject to an entry fee. This fee is not added to the prize fund. The amount of the entry fee will be determined by the Executive Board. Team events, events that already attract an entry fee, or other events so decided by the Executive Board will be subject to a sanction fee. The total cost of sanctioning is negotiated between the WPA and organiser, but will not be less than 7.5% of total added money in all categories. There are no fees applied to any entry fee money that is added to the prize fund.

:smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'll take that bet. Confirmation will come one way or the other from Pat Fleming. Agreed?