U.S. Open update

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How many of the 15 $1000 getting free entry still own their green U.S Open jacket? I would bet some have sold them. Maybe Shane, Mika, Earl, and Appleton can rent their extra jackets out. I haven't heard anymore about have to wear your green jacket in months. Maybe that has changed too. Johnnyt

Timothy Rose

Silver Member
How many of the 15 $1000 getting free entry still own their green U.S Open jacket? I would bet some have sold them. Maybe Shane, Mika, Earl, and Appleton can rent their extra jackets out. I haven't heard anymore about have to wear your green jacket in months. Maybe that has changed too. Johnnyt

Sold em? :confused::confused::confused:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
That doesn't make sense...

Been in communication with Barry and Pat regarding the added money for this years Open. Pat has received close to 50K already and we are over four months out. Things are looking good with this new arrangement. I'll keep you posted as to how things are going in the days and weeks ahead. Like all of you I'm more than curious if Barry will make his deadline (July 25) for all the added monies. At this point in time it looks like he will.

By the way Barry is giving free entry to sixteen of the past champions (still active ones) for this year's 40th edition of the Open. That will be considered part of the 75K added so he still has to come up with 59K for Pat's fund. All other entry fee money will go directly to Pat for safekeeping and he will be awarding all the payouts this year. He has a separate bank account exclusively for the U.S. Open prize money.

I'm much more comfortable with this arrangement than in past years. On this basis I've agreed to return once more as TD. Bill Stock will be assisting me as well as Karl Kantrowitz, so we have a good staff handling the event. Scott Smith will be back to make all the announcements and I'm happy about that too.

With world ranking points attached this is shaping up to be a top flight event once again. I look forward to witnessing some great pool right here in the USA come October.

P.S. JAM, does Keith have one more comeback in him? I think YES!

He should STILL have to come up with the full 75K. If 16 of the entries come out of the added monies, then that just means there will be 16 less entries in the final payout, it doesn't mean that money doesn't get put in, cause it ISN'T coming from those players.

Jaden

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is correct. I was mistaken in my previous post regarding the added money. 75K is due by July 25.

OK, that makes more sense. So it's going to be $75000 added, plus approx. $112000 entry fees, if the field is full and all 16 former winners play.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He should STILL have to come up with the full 75K. If 16 of the entries come out of the added monies, then that just means there will be 16 less entries in the final payout, it doesn't mean that money doesn't get put in, cause it ISN'T coming from those players.

Jaden

I refer you to my post #31.

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're thinking about it seriously, especially since this is the 40th anniversary.

I remember reading that the hotel allows pets, which is a bonus for us. We never leave home without Mickey.

It would be a dream come true for Keith to compete in this tournament, much less see all his buddies. He will have the time of his life! :)

I hope y'all make it & yes, the hotel is dog friendly. :smile:

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unlike some, I take full responsibility for my choices. But it's nice of you to remember the hard work that Roberta put into the last Open. She worked her tail off, unlike some who can only sit back and criticize. If the shoe fits, wear it!

Thanks Jay, it was quite an initiation last year but I'm hoping I'm much more prepared this year. You're one of the hardest working people I know & I look forward to working with you again this year.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm hoping we can make it. This venue looks like the nuts ---> Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Saturday, October 24 to Friday, October 30, 2015. Interesting that they finish up this year on a Friday instead of Saturday.

This Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel looks mighty inviting. :cool:

I think I read somewhere Barry did not want it to end on Halloween.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you come up with this $203,000 figure to get to tier 2 status ???

All the WPA rules say is at least 32 entries and $75,000 added is tier 2.

So if he adds $75k to go with the $113,000 entry monies for $188,000
he should be tier 2

Does it say anywhere you can't give 15 free entries, as I don't see that written anywhere ??? :smile:

Sure they could have a tier 2 event. All they need is 32 entries of which 16 were paid by Barry and 16 others paid their own $1000.
Then they must add $75000 to this $32,000 and be playng for a Prize Pot of $107,000.That would fulfil Tier 2 conditions. But the organisers have set out a prize fund of $187,000 based on a full field of 128 players. For every player below that number there will be a shortfall of $1000. So presumably this will be deducted from the $187,000. So, for example, if only 100 players enter then the payout will total $175,000. So to remain as a Tier 2 event it will require an injection of $91,000.with the other 84 entries payng their $84,000.
Now it is essential that this event b classified now as either a Tier 2 or a Tier 3 event,
In which case the $75,000 must be GUARANTEED and not subject to entries.
If they are already attempting to remove $16,000 from the $75,000 things do not bode well. The rules clearly say that ADDED MONEY is to be added to the prize fund and not be used to cover any other expenss.
It is currently billed as a Tier 2 event and has ben accepting entries on that basis. Unless this is guaranteed then they will be taking money under false pretences. It would be sad if Pat Fleming, wth his pristine reputation, were to get caught up in that.
In previous years they got away with paying below the thresholds for ranking points but this has been noted by other bodies who have met their financial requirements to stage tournaments. So the WPA must act NOW

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the posts on AZB about this tournament for the past two years, I would never go to this tournament.

It sounds like a cluster fire truck.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure they could have a tier 2 event. All they need is 32 entries of which 16 were paid by Barry and 16 others paid their own $1000.
Then they must add $75000
to this $32,000 and be playng for a Prize Pot of $107,000.That would fulfil Tier 2 conditions. But the organisers have set out a prize fund of $187,000 based on a full field of 128 players. For every player below that number there will be a shortfall of $1000. So presumably this will be deducted from the $187,000. So, for example, if only 100 players enter then the payout will total $175,000. So to remain as a Tier 2 event it will require an injection of $91,000.with the other 84 entries payng their $84,000.

I do not understand this paragraph. The green part is accurate: 32 players and $75000 added for tier 2. But the red part, as far as I can tell, is not accurate. No extra money needs to be added if they fall below their own projections, as long as they meet the requirements in green.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand this paragraph. The green part is accurate: 32 players and $75000 added for tier 2. But the red part, as far as I can tell, is not accurate. No extra money needs to be added if they fall below their own projections, as long as they meet the requirements in green.

The advertised Prize Fund is $187,000 based on a full field of 128 player. To pay this out will require that 112 entry fees ($112,000) be added to the $75,000 that is necessary to ensure Tier 2 status.
If the event fills up then all will be OK. But i they fall short then they will be lookng to reduce the prize fund and that would mean that only the paid up entry money could be added to the $75,000
The original premise of this post was that only $59,000 was needed to secure Tier Two Ranking Points. Later in the thread Jay confirmed that the full $75k is payable by late next month. There have been too many unavory things happening happening over the years and I don't think that thwy are all over yet.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I'll take that bet. Confirmation will come one way or the other from Pat Fleming. Agreed?

Yes - I want Pat to post an image of the escrow account. I don't know Pat Fleming from Adam so his statement 'we got the money' doesn't cut it for me and more importantly shouldn't cut it for any player.

I find it uncanny that already $50k has been deposited. What a nice even number. And $16k of the $75k can't be air from his free entry charade.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
so how much has Barry personally come out-pf-pocket to date, of this $50K? cause we know he has to cover the "$16K".

and yes, we knew that the entire $188K has to be in to Pat within the next 5 wks - otherwise, it's Breach. (thanks, ITSFROZE)

where's the cash to prepay the hotel by SEP 1ish, per Contract? without pulling my notes, i recall the owner told me the room cancellation policy is 48hrs; otherwise 1 night penalty. since the Event rates are guaranteed, i wouldn't book till 1 week prior (with a LOT of reputable confirmation from those on-site setting up) - and you might even get a room for less.

are those who got screwed on VIP seats last year being comped this year if they return? how will that be reflected for Pat's/WPA's books @ JUL 25? back it out later? :cool:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A) You work for Accu-Stats and they NEED the DVD's. No Open No DVD's.
B) Bonus Ball and the players not entering ruined that Texas tournament.
C) I'm tired of people with something to gain coming on here to tell us we're the cause of something not working. Some of us on here have good memories and aren't bad at math. Go pedal your BS somewhere else. Johnnyt

So good, you even forgot the tournament was held in Mississippi, not Texas.

Lol at watchez, a forum big mouth, questioning the integrity of someone with such an upstanding reputation as Pat Fleming.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure everyone is glad you're involved and wish you and the tournament the best.

But I think it's important to say that all of the statements about the U.S. Open refer to $75000 added and in the bank account. And that the agreement with the WPA is that $75000 be added. But in reality $59000 is going to be added. And then an additional $16000 is going to be missing from the prize pool.

That's correct there is $16,000 missing from the prize fund.
128 players X $1,000 + $75,000 = $203,000

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just curious. How many AzB-ers who have posted on this thread are actually going to be competing in the U.S. Open this year? I would think the competitors or players, if you will, should be the ones to share their thoughts on the purse and payouts. For AzB-ers to require the tournament promoter (Barry) to reveal his bank account and P&L statement is a little over the top. Let the players voice their concerns, but forum members making demands seems odd.

As far as the VIP seats, I totally understand the concern and hope that this year's seating arranagement is more suitable. Nobody wants to pay money for a crappy seat where they can't see anything and/or are uncomfortable.

The Barry haters are going to hate, but some of the demands and criticism on this thread from forum members, who aren't putting up their dough and/or playing in the tournament, is kind of odd. It happens every year, of course, due to the payout problems. However, one year, the players banded together and ensured the payouts would happen as advertised.

I like seeing the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship tournament in Virginia, on the East Coast, in my neck of the woods. Love him or hate him, Barry Behrman is putting up his own dough to make this happen. He deserves a modicum of respect for that. Does anybody think he's making a huge ROI on this tournament? This event happens becuase of his passion to keeping the legacy alive for players around the world. It is a tournament title that every single pro player would like to have on their portfolio or résumé. In fact, I would venture to guess that this title is worth more to the pro players than the tin cups and cheese. The tin cups collect dust, and the money will be spent, but the title lasts forever.

It's okay to suggest strategies to make the Open run smoother, but in the end, unless you're playing in the event or putting up your money for a VIP seat or traveling to watch the tournament as a railbird or paying a vendor fee to display your wares, the criticism in this thread is over the top.

That's my opinion, and I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but I'm sticking with it.