Question about the supply and demand of good quality pool cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Holy shit!
This is one of the most mind numbing, mindless dribble, posts ever written.

Well done Justin!
You continuously outdo yourself and that seems fairly tough to do.

He's like Eddie Wheat arguing he keeps the prices of his cues low so people can afford them . Which is hilarious b/c nobody would pay for his cues if they weren't cheap.

Justin, do you have a freaking clue what the law of supply and demand is ?
If you're not finding good cues at your price range, guess what genius?
You need to raise your budget.

Why would someone sell cues for $200 when the next flipper can sell them for $400?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's like Eddie Wheat arguing he keeps the prices of his cues low so people can afford them . Which is hilarious b/c nobody would pay for his cues if they weren't cheap.

Justin, do you have a freaking clue what the law of supply and demand is ?
If you're not finding good cues at your price range, guess what genius?
You need to raise your budget.

Why would someone sell cues for $200 when the next flipper can sell them for $400?

This HAS to be the biggest troll job since the Trotter twins.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Sometimes I think the ones that complain the loudest are the ones that enjoy the threads the most.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:clapping:

For great quality cues for great prices you need to try Rhino, Kaiser, Players, and J&J.

Just go for it and you'll never need to buy another cue.

And you wonder where all the Meucci Cues are? There are around 200 collectors

or hoarders like myself that has all of them. And I'm not selling until the cow jumps over the moon.

:eek:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:clapping:

For great quality cues for great prices you need to try Rhino, Kaiser, Players, and J&J.

Just go for it and you'll never need to buy another cue.

And you wonder where all the Meucci Cues are? There are around 200 collectors

or hoarders like myself that has all of them. And I'm not selling until the cow jumps over the moon.

:eek:

Well I.had.2 meuccis at one.time...gave one.to a friend and traded the other. I bought another one a couple years ago and. Ain't gettin rid of it.

Not playing Justins card but I am a lil low on extra can laying around but have my eye on a other gambler for sale with a pro shaft. I know the guy will hold it if I ask. I have bought about 5 cues off him the last 2 years.

Tried to buy the one.Justin .had for sale last week but we could not agree on a price so he put it eBay. I dont do eBay .

Last edited:
I am very curious, is it a big secret about how many cues all of these production cue companies make per year? Like Predator for example. They are made in China. Probably the 2nd or 3rd highest end production made cues in the world? I can only assume that the number of $1,000+ (retail value) cues they make is pretty limited, right? They would not produce any more then they think they are able to sell, right? How popular is the pool cue industry among the "non pool players", who just play the game for fun (Tom Cruise for example)?

The cues I love are just way too high end (way out of my price range. I had a chance at buying a super nice 4 point Paul Dayton cue, for $450, but it was such bad timing, because I had just purchased a cue. The cue was super nice (4 points, with veneers, into a super nice looking BEM forearm). I think I would have held onto it forever. It was that nice. It was bumperless Hopp style, so that is the only thing I was worried about (affecting the way it hits). I just wonder how often deals like that come up. I understand it was/is probably worth at least $1,000.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
demand is low and supply is high

that's a fact, it's why you can get high quality schmelkes/players/hxt's and others for damn near $100

this has never been the case

niche's are different, carbon fibre preds, overpriced and overated souhwests's, etc......plus cue flippers who scour the net for those deals you see

imo, the cue market is slowly and finally learning that a $70 players with tip of choice will get you almost as far as the latest bleeding edge tech from pred and becue and the like

some brands out there like sw and schon using dinosaur tech and dinosaur business pracices still cary that cache and can command some premiums amoungst.... the...well....dinosaurs

those days are almost done

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, there is an absolute mother-load of cues in the market: production, vintage, and true customs.

There are almost 20,000 cues for sale on US eBay site alone and that doesn't include the new cues being produced by the large manufacturers, and the private listings on the popular online sales sites, and those changing hands privately.

In the vintage field, more and more great cues are seeing the light of day either because they are just being discovered, owners are passing away, or collections are being liquidated.

It's a great time for acquiring a cue or cues at reasonable prices. What the future holds remains to be seen. I don't have a crystal ball and neither does anyone else.

Well I.had.2 meuccis at one.time...gave one.to a friend and traded the other. I bought another one a couple years ago and. Ain't gettin rid of it.

Not playing Justins card but I am a lil low on extra can laying around but have my eye on a other gambler for sale with a pro shaft. I know the guy will hold it if I ask. I have bought about 5 cues off him the last 2 years.

Tried to buy the one.Justin .had for sale last week but we could not agree on a price so he put it eBay. I dont do eBay .

I just purchased another Meucci HP3 cue tonight, for $190 (seller wanted $200), and the cue is really beat up (even worse then the last one I had), and was only able to talk the seller down $10 on the price. Again, the Meucci is straight as an arrow though (just really beat up). After the person left, I was really regretting buying it, due to the poor condition of it. I never think things through enough, before buying something in person. I also kind of felt bad, because the lady drove 40 minutes to meet me. She told me the Meucci was in good condition though (through text, on facebook last night), other then a little bit of wear. That was a really big understatement, about the condition of it. At least the shaft is nice and smooth though, and it is straight (those are the only 2 good things I can say about the cue). I tend to over pay for a cue, if I am really wanting one. She told me that she purchased it brand new about 4 years ago for $630. I do not understand why people pay that much money for a pool cue, and then abuse it like they do. I have always been really careful with the cues that I have played with over the years. I do not think I ever dinged any of the cues I ever had (by carelessly bumping it up against the pool table, or done anything like that).

Last edited:
IMO, there is an absolute mother-load of cues in the market: production, vintage, and true customs.

There are almost 20,000 cues for sale on US eBay site alone and that doesn't include the new cues being produced by the large manufacturers, and the private listings on the popular online sales sites, and those changing hands privately.

In the vintage field, more and more great cues are seeing the light of day either because they are just being discovered, owners are passing away, or collections are being liquidated.

It's a great time for acquiring a cue or cues at reasonable prices. What the future holds remains to be seen. I don't have a crystal ball and neither does anyone else.

Yes, there are currently over 18,000 brand new cues for sale on ebay. I was talking about used pool cues though. There are currently only 1525 used pool cues for sale on ebay, so that does not seem like very many cues, when you consider all of the pool cues that have been made in just the last 30 years alone (just here in the US, not counting imports from other parts of the world). I just wonder what happened to all of the pool cues. Helmstetter cues alone are seemingly very scarce (12 new ones, and 10 used ones currently for sale on ebay). How many Helmstetter cues were made within the last 30 years? Who knows, but I am guessing the number is around the same as US made McDermott cues for example. So, where are all of the Helmstetter cues? What happened to all of them? They could not all possibly be in use by players. I am not even talking about the new ones, that have not been played, and may be just sitting in a dealers case somewhere. I am just talking about the used ones that are out there. Why are they so rare? Does anyone know? I understand that they were really great quality cues, and made by Miki (who now makes Mezz cues), so maybe they were not made in high quantities. I just wonder why they are so rare.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I truly believe that justinb has been placed here by the government to test us. To truly see what this online community can endure before we absolutely crumble.

This is cruel and unusual.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I truly believe that justinb has been placed here by the government to test us. To truly see what this online community can endure before we absolutely crumble.
This is cruel and unusual.
You’re very close to the truth......

He’s a Russian Insurgent paid to disrupt the Chat Rooms of the West with disinformation, half truths and agitation.

Attachments

• 9F0B0453-D18E-4DE6-B023-DA8548C8CAFF.jpeg
    9F0B0453-D18E-4DE6-B023-DA8548C8CAFF.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, there are currently over 18,000 brand new cues for sale on ebay. I was talking about used pool cues though. There are currently only 1525 used pool cues for sale on ebay, so that does not seem like very many cues, when you consider all of the pool cues that have been made in just the last 30 years alone (just here in the US, not counting imports from other parts of the world). I just wonder what happened to all of the pool cues. Helmstetter cues alone are seemingly very scarce (12 new ones, and 10 used ones currently for sale on ebay). How many Helmstetter cues were made within the last 30 years? Who knows, but I am guessing the number is around the same as US made McDermott cues for example. So, where are all of the Helmstetter cues? What happened to all of them? They could not all possibly be in use by players. I am not even talking about the new ones, that have not been played, and may be just sitting in a dealers case somewhere. I am just talking about the used ones that are out there. Why are they so rare? Does anyone know? I understand that they were really great quality cues, and made by Miki (who now makes Mezz cues), so maybe they were not made in high quantities. I just wonder why they are so rare.
Well, for one, they'd be called Adam Cues, since that was the name of the company of which you are talking.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, there are currently over 18,000 brand new cues for sale on ebay. I was talking about used pool cues though. There are currently only 1525 used pool cues for sale on ebay, so that does not seem like very many cues, .

Are you serious? 1500...That seems like plenty to me.

First of all, about half those used cues sell. The rest usually get relisted. So the supply is really pretty good.

Where are the cues you are looking for?

In closets, or tossed in the trash...and a few are in use. Some end up for sale here and there or on Ebay.

There is no mystery about massive numbers of missing cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

First of all, about half those used cues sell. The rest usually get relisted. So the supply is really pretty good.

In closets, or tossed in the trash...and a few are in use. Some end up for sale here and there or on Ebay.

$50 name brand cues with "long taper".
Freaking Ebay charges an arm and a leg to list and sell now .
Sell a $50 cue and pay $10 commission. Great .

Justin should stick with Craigslist .
Or go to garage sales.

Which still won't matter b/c he'd flip a cue if he can make a $1 profit.
Then whine about not having a good cue.

Well, for one, they'd be called Adam Cues, since that was the name of the company of which you are talking.

Yes, I understand that Helmstetter cues were made by the Adam cue company (actually they were made by Miki, who now makes Mezz cues, in the same factory, I think) in Japan, but they were signed Helmstetter (not Adam), and I think they may have been more expensive and better quality then the Adam line of cues (not counting the Balabushka replica's that were made by Adam, where were very high quality). I have read that the Balabushka relica's are now made in China, and of cheaper / lesser quality, but that is a different topic.

Last edited:

Most of those 1500 cues were not even made here in the US. How many Meucci, Joss, Viking, McDermott, and Schon cues have been made within the last 30 years, and how many pool players are still using those cues? Nobody can answer that question. Are cues really one of the most abused types of sporting items? Just wondering.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not tryin to hi jack justins thread but I have a question and would like.to rely on people more knowledgeable than I am..

I came across a meucci gambler with a pro shaft that I was thinking about buying. Well.tonight I came across a road agent with a black dot shaft. All things being equal as to condition of cues do you think the gambler is worth 200.00 more due to the pro shaft ?

Not tryin to hi jack justins thread but I have a question and would like.to rely on people more knowledgeable than I am..

I came across a meucci gambler with a pro shaft that I was thinking about buying. Well.tonight I came across a road agent with a black dot shaft. All things being equal as to condition of cues do you think the gambler is worth 200.00 more due to the pro shaft ?

I do not know, but I assume that the Road Agent is a rare model. I get the feeling that there are a lot more Gambler cues around then Road Agent cues. The Road Agent might be worth more money, even without that newer Pro shaft. I do not know. Just get which ever one you like more.

I always thought the Road Agent looked super cool.

Last edited: