One piece slate vs 3 piece slate

Crawlers

Registered
What are the Pros / cons of both style of slate.
Also just wondering, does Connelly make a one piece slate table?

Crawlers

Registered
Educate me. What do you mean by oversized?
I was told I can have my buddies 8 ft one piece slate Connelly for the price of moving it.
Problem is idk if he is correct in thinking its a one piece slate. Do Connelly one pieces exist?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Educate me. What do you mean by oversized?
I was told I can have my buddies 8 ft one piece slate Connelly for the price of moving it.
Problem is idk if he is correct in thinking its a one piece slate. Do Connelly one pieces exist?

I think 'over-size' means that you can attach the rails with the bolts
going straight down.
Any bar box I saw, the slate fits inside the rails, and the rails bolt to
the frame.

Diamond makes the only 1-piece slate for a 9 footer ( that I've seen)
where the bolts attach like a normal 3-piece slate table.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the Pros / cons of both style of slate.

The advantage of 3 pieces is that one person can carry a whole slate (one healthy masculine, person in good shape)

The disadvantage to 3 pieces is you have to level each end piece to the central piece, and then seal the joints flat.

A table with 3 pieces of slate, properly setup, has no disadvantages to a 1 piece table.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

To say that a full sized one piece slate is not found anywhere but one company is being one sided, have most of us been to Europe,Asia, or South America researching pool tables? Slate is minded all over the world....
A 30mm one piece slate is heavy and would require a frame of steel to prevent the mother of all- gravity from taking over...or a over engineered frame similar to the GC... Wood is wood and will always behave like wood.

Rob.M

realkingcobra

Silver Member
To say that a full sized one piece slate is not found anywhere but one company is being one sided, have most of us been to Europe,Asia, or South America researching pool tables? Slate is minded all over the world....
A 30mm one piece slate is heavy and would require a frame of steel to prevent the mother of all- gravity from taking over...or a over engineered frame similar to the GC... Wood is wood and will always behave like wood.

Rob.M

Uuuh...yes, I have...lived in Italy and Germany for 7 years. And since Brunswick was the standard in pool tables for to many years to count...they were also the example to copy when it came to building pool tables for manufactures getting into the business. And, since Brunswick never used an oversized one piece slate...neither did anyone else.;) To date, Diamond is the only manufacture that has a one piece 9ft oversized slate...but you're more than welcome to find someone else that does:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Rob.M

Wrong again, Diamonds 10ft uses a one piece 30mm oversized slate...no steel frame, and no GC style frame either:thumbup:

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
More than likely that table has 3 piece slate. The only tables I have seen with 1 piece slate was Diamond and bunch of bar boxes.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond

I'm thinking of purchasing a diamond 9 ft next year. A friend here suggests getting the 3 piece slate and advises the 1 piece are made for ease of transportation and set up for tournaments and may not roll as well as a 3 piece. I play a lot of 1 pocket so a straight rolling table is obviously crucial. And no i don't want a 2 hole 1 pocket table. So would you suggest a 3 piece or a 1 piece in a 9 ft Diamond.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm thinking of purchasing a diamond 9 ft next year. A friend here suggests getting the 3 piece slate and advises the 1 piece are made for ease of transportation and set up for tournaments and may not roll as well as a 3 piece. I play a lot of 1 pocket so a straight rolling table is obviously crucial. And no i don't want a 2 hole 1 pocket table. So would you suggest a 3 piece or a 1 piece in a 9 ft Diamond.

We have a Diamond 9 ft at our room, 3 piece slate.
We have Diamond 7 footers with 1-piece slate.

Get the one-piece slate.....no slate lines ever.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd love to get a one piece 9 foot table but trying to bend it around my stairwell into my basement might be difficult.:D

But seriously if you want a one piece slate table where it's going has to be a consideration. You might have trouble finding an installer if you live in a five story walkup.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a 3 piece slate Olhausen 7' table for about 5 years. I've had no issues with the joints. They are beveled and filled with a bondo like substance. I watched the table being assembled and installed; so I could take it apart if necessary.

The sports bar I play at the most has 1 piece slate Valley tables. I was there one day when they were being recovered and saw the slate. They also have 9' Valley tables, but I don't know if they are single slate or not.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Get the one-piece slate.....no slate lines ever.

If properly bonded and sealed you will never see a seam on a 3 piece slate table.

Attachments

• Liquid dowel.jpg
    Liquid dowel.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 929

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

No one but Diamond makes the oversized one piece slates.

-
-
uuuuuh' you said no one makes a oversized 1pc slate then you changed your mind to the 9' 1pc full slate diamond uses...
Your slick glen'

A 30mm 1pc full slate...it must weigh over 1,000lbs! Do you still have those pics of the 10' frame.....? What supports the leveling wedges....? Plywood? Uuiuuuh......plywood vs 30mm 1,000lbs slate...? I see why diamond is using the 30mm slate, if they was to use anything less it would snap like a #2 pencil in that frame...especially when flipped on its side...

Wrong...guess again'

I'm just toying with you glen, we are all here to share conversation and information.
We all know you do great work, now time for a little more R&D'
:wave3:

Perhaps you came across the De Blasi tables when you spent all those years in Europe..
They machine their own slate and also machine the area which the slate sits on the frame.. They had been around since the 30's... The hardware on the tables that is about 30-35 years old is almost the exact hardware diamond use to hold the miter of the rails together....the frame and pedestals could hold a herd of elephants...and keep them warm at the same time.

Rob.M

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pat is 100% right about a three piece slate if installed correctly not coming apart at the seams. But I've gone way beyond that with steel plating the slate seams together. I'll post some pictures on the whole process of converting a 3 piece slate to a 1 piece slate in a thread of its own shortly.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Pat is 100% right about a three piece slate if installed correctly not coming apart at the seams. But I've gone way beyond that with steel plating the slate seams together. I'll post some pictures on the whole process of converting a 3 piece slate to a 1 piece slate in a thread of its own shortly.

please do.