Question about the supply and demand of good quality pool cues.

I do not know, but it seems to me that the supply is very low, and the demand is very high.

For example, when ever a really good quality cue (at a bargain price) pops up on ebay, it gets sold within a matter of minutes seemingly.

It is like there is always a buyer in the market for good quality pool cue at a bargain price, and the minute one pops up, it is gone before you even know it was there.

I honestly do not know how often these bargains come up on ebay, because I am not sitting there watching like a hawk 24/7, but if they do come up, I always miss them.

For example, I seen a very nice Schon listed on ebay a few weeks ago, that came with an extra Predator shaft, for $350 buy it now price (which would have been a great deal for the Schon by itself, even without the extra Predator shaft), and it was a brand new listing (because I always look at the newest listed "buy it now" auctions 1st, for Used pool cues), and that listing sold within a matter of minutes after it got listed.

I would have purchased it if I had the $350, but I did not have the money.

Another example is Helmstetter cues. They seem to be very rare for some reason. I rarely ever see them listed anywhere online for sale, and when they do come up for auction on ebay, then you can bet that they will sell for at least $300 (no matter what condition they are in). The only ones I ever really loved are the 86 series I think (the ones with the white / non Stainless steel joint). Those hit amazing, to me (in my experience with a few that I had over the years). They seem to be extremely rare though. The ones that are out there are not for sale (not online anyways).

Where are all of the good quality pool cues at, for bargain prices? They are not at any pawn shops, because most pawn shops do not even buy cues anymore.

And most sellers want way too much money for anything nice, and good quality these days.

Is the supply really that low, and the demand really that high?

Before you say something like, go buy this or that, I already know what you are thinking before you say it (I know that it will be a brand new cue from a dealer, or cue maker).

Where are all of the great quality vintage used cues at (for reasonably low prices)? It just feels impossible to find something that really catches my eye, that I can afford to buy.

Meucci cues for example. They are really nice playing cues, that feel really great, and hit really nice to a lot of players out there. I can understand why they are in such high demand, and sell for the high prices that they sell for on the used market. The thing I do not understand is, I always thought that there have been a much higher quantity of Meucci cues made per year, then any other US cue maker (I thought I read that somewhere I long time ago), and that might have been part of the reason on why they have issues with quality control? Anyways, I am just wondering where all of the Meucci cues that have ever been made are at? They could not possibly all be in players hands, can they?

And what about Lucasi cues to name one other example? They used to be a budget priced cue years ago, and they have always been made in China. Who knows how many Lucasi cues are in existence. Well, where are they all at? When ever you see them sell on ebay auction, they are selling for at least $200 used (even the ones that were made way back before the very high quality ones that are made today).

My question is, why is the supply of good quality used pool cues so low?

How many active pool players are there in the world, and how many good quality used pool cues are out there? How many great quality cues are just sitting in a closet not being used? Millions? Who knows. And why is the demand of those good quality cues so high?

I guess I should be happy that pool cues are selling so good. That means that the pool cue economy is going pretty strong.

I am just sad that I can't find anything that I really love for a few hundred dollars.

I guess I just need to try to start saving, because the values of good quality used pool cues are not getting any cheaper.

Either I am missing all of the great deals (not looking at the right times), or the great bargain priced cues just are rarely ever out there to grab.

Where are all of the cues at? In my price range, I see mostly just a lot of junk that I do not have any interest in.

One other question. How much does it cost to built a high quality pool cue? For example, something like Bocote into a highly figured BEM forearm (without any inlays)? Why are so many cue makers using the ugly looking straight grain maple (instead of some nice looking BEM)? Is straight grain maple really that much cheaper, and BEM that much more costly? I do not know, but I am not seeing too many really great looking sneakies out there . The ones that are out there are pretty expensive, and I just wonder why that is. I do not know how much time, money and work goes into a really great looking (high quality) sneaky pete cue though. I assume they are not easy to make, or I would see a lot more of them out there (and not for the high prices that I see them for sale at). Most of them average at around $500 (Frey and Diveney to name a few examples). I just wish they were cheaper, lol.

Sorry, just really bored, and lonely for a really great looking, and classy cue (that hits like a dream). I really need to try my best to hold onto the next one I can get my hands on, because I understand how hard it is to find a really great cue that I love (for the very little money that I have).

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know I find the same exact scenario when I try and hunt for good used men’s leather belts size 38 for sale at a bargain price.

I do not know, but it seems to me that the supply is very low, and the demand is very high.

For example, when ever a really good quality belt (at a bargain price) pops up on ebay, it gets sold within a matter of minutes seemingly.

It is like there is always a buyer in the market for good quality tooled belt size 38 at a bargain price, and the minute one pops up, it is gone before you even know it was there.

I honestly do not know how often these bargains come up on ebay, because I am not sitting there watching like a hawk 24/7, but if they do come up, I always miss them.

For example, I seen a very nice Justin floral tooled belt size 38 listed on ebay a few weeks ago, that came with an extra brass buckle, for $35 buy it now price (which would have been a great deal for the Justin floral tooled belt size 38 by itself, even without the extra brass buckle), and it was a brand new listing (because I always look at the newest listed "buy it now" auctions 1st, for Used men’s tooled leather belts size 38), and that listing sold within a matter of minutes after it got listed.

I would have purchased it if hadn’t of gone so quickly, but I did not see it in time.

Another example is Dolce & Gabbana leather belts out of Italy. They seem to be very rare for some reason. I rarely ever see them listed anywhere online for sale, and when they do come up for auction on ebay, then you can bet that they will sell for at least $300 (no matter what condition they are in). The only ones I ever really loved are the black polished leather one I think (the dress belts). Those fit amazing, to me (in my experience with a few that I had over the years). They seem to be extremely rare though. The ones that are out there are not for sale (not online anyways).

Where are all of the good quality leather belts at, for bargain prices? They are not at any pawn shops, because most pawn shops do not even buy belts anymore.

And most sellers want way too much money for anything nice, and good quality these days.

Before you say something like, go buy this or that, I already know what you are thinking before you say it (I know that it will be a brand new belt from a dealer, or belt maker).

Where are all of the great quality vintage used belts at (for reasonably low prices)? It just feels impossible to find something that really catches my eye, that I can afford to buy.

Louis Vuitton belts for example. They are really nice wearing belts, that feel really great, and feel really nice to a lot of guys out there. I can understand why they are in such high demand, and sell for the high prices that they sell for on the used market. The thing I do not understand is, I always thought that there have been a much higher quantity of Louis Vuittons made per year, then any other designer belt maker (I thought I read that somewhere I long time ago), and that might have been part of the reason on why they have issues with quality control? Anyways, I am just wondering where all of the Louis Vuitton belts that have ever been made are at? They could not possibly all be in guy’s closets, can they?

And what about Gucci belts to name one other example? They used to be a budget priced belts years ago, and they are even made in Europe somewhere. Who knows how many Gucci belts are in existence. Well, where are they all at? When ever you see them sell on ebay auction, they are selling for at least $200 used (even the ones that were made way back before the very high quality ones that are made today).

My question is, why is the supply of good quality used men’s belts so low?

How many active belt wearers are there in the world, and how many good quality used belts are out there? How many great quality belts are just sitting in a closet not being used? Millions? Who knows. And why is the demand of those good quality cues so high?

I guess I should be happy that leather belts are selling so good. That means that the leather belt economy is going pretty strong.

I am just sad that I can't find anything that I really love for a few hundred dollars.

I guess I just need to try to start saving, because the values of good quality used men’s leather belts are not getting any cheaper.

Either I am missing all of the great deals (not looking at the right times), or the great bargain priced cues just are rarely ever out there to grab.

Where are all of the belts at? In my price range, I see mostly just a lot of junk that I do not have any interest in.

One other question. How much does it cost to built a high quality leather belt? For example, something like Eel into a highly figured Lizard wrap (without any tooling)? Why are so many belt makers using the ugly looking straight grain leather (instead of some nice looking Eel)? Is straight grain leather really that much cheaper, and Eel that much more costly? I do not know, but I am not seeing too many really great looking dress belts out there . The ones that are out there are pretty expensive, and I just wonder why that is. I do not know how much time, money and work goes into a really great looking (high quality) dress belt though. I assume they are not easy to make, or I would see a lot more of them out there (and not for the high prices that I see them for sale at). Most of them average at around $500 (Tom Ford and St. Laurent to name a few examples). I just wish they were cheaper, lol.

Sorry, just really bored, and lonely for a really great looking, and classy belt (that fits like a dream). I really need to try my best to hold onto the next one I can get my hands on, because I understand how hard it is to find a really great belt that I love (for the very little money that I have).

Am I and Justinb386 the only ones suffering from lack of supply and overdemand?

Maybe some of you can share your experiences?

I just could not help.myself....i tried.....i really tried
..i.really really tried. But in the end I just could not help myself and.bust out laughing..

I gotta hand it to you this is pure gold. Wish my phone would let me rep you. I know I went off about the cyber bullying crap in that thread that was deleted but this is comical as hell. Still laughing why typing my edit . Actually...lmao .

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What you don't realize, Justin, is that most cues are allready bargain priced! For a VERY short while I was looking into making my own cues. Just a hobby that could possibly be profitable in time. But the money simply isn't there. A full splice blank alone, no pins, no glue, no finish will cost 150 dollars, maybe 100 if you are lucky (but you want veneers and birdseye, soo....). Then there are hours and hours and hours of work, all that stuff I mentioned, losses, shaftwood, storage of said wood (temperature and humidity control), ferrules, ringwork, wear and tear on the machines, purchasing expensive machines, finishing (of course). When you start calculating all the work and try to put an hourly wage on it, you will laugh. You will end up making less than a Nike sneaker worker, working at gunpoint in some Indonesian hell hole at least for the first decade when you are still paying off the machines and the woods you need to purchase. Then there are all the health hazards which cause cuemakers to drop like flies, 20 years ahead of their time or more. Lung diseases of various kinds seem to be the primary killers.

Even a 1000 dollar cue is probably a net loss, unless you can churn them out an extreme pace, which you can't because most cuemakers are one man shops. I really respect the honest, workman cuemakers, taking all those risks in a country where if they get sick, they get ruined.

So I don't really complain that a custom cue is maybe 1200-1500 dollars for a fairly basic 4 pointer. You can get some nice ones now on Ebay (used) for about half that. The only complaint is that the cuemaker may steal your money and not make you a cue at all, which is why I'm really hesitant to pull the trigger on anything custom made.

Then there are cue-flippers. An army of people with no real skill or capital, all fighting to make a 50 dollar profit on a 200 dollar investment, which if they did the actual math, factoring in the bad buys and time spent would amount to less than sneaker sweatshop money. Those are the ones who snap up the "Ebay bargains". Nothing on Ebay is a bargain, because it's a worldwide market, almost everything sells at true market value. You should completely forget about Ebay, all together. Your best chance of a bargain is in an actual players poolroom. Wait until some guy is down on his luck and purchase a cue from him. Then you have a chance of making a small profit. If you can repair cues as well, you may get some cues completely free of charge that people didn't know could be fixed or at least won't pay for having you fix them.

Oh, and all the production cues end up with cue hoarders, forgotten in the back of some guys closet or tossed in the trash after being abused by bangers.

I'd rather have a paying job, myself. Even at McDonalds.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know I find the same exact scenario when I try and hunt for good used men’s leather belts size 38 for sale at a bargain price.

For example, when ever a really good quality belt (at a bargain price) pops up on ebay, it gets sold within a matter of minutes seemingly.

It is like there is always a buyer in the market for good quality tooled belt size 38 at a bargain price, and the minute one pops up, it is gone before you even know it was there.

For example, I seen a very nice Justin floral tooled belt size 38 listed on ebay a few weeks ago, that came with an extra brass buckle, for $35 buy it now price (which would have been a great deal for the Justin floral tooled belt size 38 by itself, even without the extra brass buckle), and it was a brand new listing (because I always look at the newest listed "buy it now" auctions 1st, for Used men’s tooled leather belts size 38), and that listing sold within a matter of minutes after it got listed.

I would have purchased it if hadn’t of gone so quickly, but I did not see it in time.

Another example is Dolce & Gabbana leather belts out of Italy. They seem to be very rare for some reason. I rarely ever see them listed anywhere online for sale, and when they do come up for auction on ebay, then you can bet that they will sell for at least $300 (no matter what condition they are in). The only ones I ever really loved are the black polished leather one I think (the dress belts). Those fit amazing, to me (in my experience with a few that I had over the years). They seem to be extremely rare though. The ones that are out there are not for sale (not online anyways).

Where are all of the good quality leather belts at, for bargain prices? They are not at any pawn shops, because most pawn shops do not even buy belts anymore.

Before you say something like, go buy this or that, I already know what you are thinking before you say it (I know that it will be a brand new belt from a dealer, or belt maker).

Where are all of the great quality vintage used belts at (for reasonably low prices)? It just feels impossible to find something that really catches my eye, that I can afford to buy.

Louis Vuitton belts for example. They are really nice wearing belts, that feel really great, and feel really nice to a lot of guys out there. I can understand why they are in such high demand, and sell for the high prices that they sell for on the used market. The thing I do not understand is, I always thought that there have been a much higher quantity of Louis Vuittons made per year, then any other designer belt maker (I thought I read that somewhere I long time ago), and that might have been part of the reason on why they have issues with quality control? Anyways, I am just wondering where all of the Louis Vuitton belts that have ever been made are at? They could not possibly all be in guy’s closets, can they?

And what about Gucci belts to name one other example? They used to be a budget priced belts years ago, and they are even made in Europe somewhere. Who knows how many Gucci belts are in existence. Well, where are they all at? When ever you see them sell on ebay auction, they are selling for at least $200 used (even the ones that were made way back before the very high quality ones that are made today).

My question is, why is the supply of good quality used men’s belts so low?

How many active belt wearers are there in the world, and how many good quality used belts are out there? How many great quality belts are just sitting in a closet not being used? Millions? Who knows. And why is the demand of those good quality cues so high?

I guess I should be happy that leather belts are selling so good. That means that the leather belt economy is going pretty strong.

I guess I just need to try to start saving, because the values of good quality used men’s leather belts are not getting any cheaper.

Either I am missing all of the great deals (not looking at the right times), or the great bargain priced belts just are rarely ever out there to grab.

Where are all of the belts at? In my price range, I see mostly just a lot of junk that I do not have any interest in.

One other question. How much does it cost to built a high quality leather belt? For example, something like Eel into a highly figured Lizard wrap (without any tooling)? Why are so many belt makers using the ugly looking straight grain leather (instead of some nice looking Eel)? Is straight grain leather really that much cheaper, and Eel that much more costly? I do not know, but I am not seeing too many really great looking dress belts out there . The ones that are out there are pretty expensive, and I just wonder why that is. I do not know how much time, money and work goes into a really great looking (high quality) dress belt though. I assume they are not easy to make, or I would see a lot more of them out there (and not for the high prices that I see them for sale at). Most of them average at around $500 (Tom Ford and St. Laurent to name a few examples). I just wish they were cheaper, lol.

Sorry, just really bored, and lonely for a really great looking, and classy belt (that fits like a dream). I really need to try my best to hold onto the next one I can get my hands on, because I understand how hard it is to find a really great belt that I love (for the very little money that I have).

Am I and Justinb386 the only ones suffering from lack of supply and overdemand?

Maybe some of you can share your experiences?
GREAT post Slim,I wear 38 also and I share your pain. (I assume it's pain, I do not know)!

Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do yourself a favor, you were obviously able to save a "few hundred dollars"...save 600 more and you will be able to find a decent custom...for 200 more you can get a really nice McDermott. For 400 more a really decent Schon.

Seems you have known for quite some time that you want a pool cue...do the work, nobody is going to sell you a Unicorn for a few hundred bucks.

That being said, looking on ebay for a blanket "Pool Cue" for a great deal, is not your best way to do such things...find what you want and be patient enough to save up for it. I waited almost 4 months for the McDermott I wanted to be at a great price, but I knew what I wanted, so when I saw it at a bargain price I was able to snatch it up.

Knowing the exact cue you want will help very much in this regard...expecting that you will find a unicorn is ludicrous.

You will be amazed how much stuff is available when you save a little cash and be ready to make a reasonble deal

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are talking about the supply of cheap cues that are high quality that you like, then yea there are not that many out there. You are not really talking about a lack of supply of good cues, because there are a ton out there. I'm sure that any player that wants a cue by a specific maker can find one for themselves, outside of maybe some specific designs by someone that only makes a few cues now or is dead.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
There are an enormous amount of used cues out there most of which are probably priced pretty fair. The problem is that you are looking to buy a $1000.00 cue for $150.00, occasionally they may pop up but they sell immediately. Wait until you have a fair amount of money saved up then go cue shopping, but you need to be realistic about what you will get for the money you are willing to spend. You probably wont find a Black Boar for $300.00

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic might be a good analysis for the group at Freakonomics, although it would probably just end up being a detailed investigation into justin386.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have to fight for what you want in life.

when you've become resentful of how people spend their money and what they do with their possessions, it's time to find a new perspective.

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got belts and cues that I'd be willing to part with, also beach front property in
North Carolina

I'll take it all!!!! Especially size 38 belts. Have to make sure Slim Limpy doesn't get them first. I'm the belt hoarder mucking up the supply chain.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I posted and deleted earlier:

"Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

and broke

This is his stupidest thread yet-He MUST be chumping us-No way is there someone of his "intelligence" that can type. Mr W-please take note and action.

PS- I want to buy a stock very very low and then sell very very high 2 weeks later- Can someone help me?-Im having difficulty finding these stocks.

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy shit!
This is one of the most mind numbing, mindless dribble, posts ever written.

Well done Justin!
You continuously outdo yourself and that seems fairly tough to do.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know if there are other forums that Justin posts on. I would join, even if uninterested in the subject, just for Justin's entertainment!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I find just the opposite, I feel there are tons of good cues out there.

I just got on obm a couple weeks ago and it is mind boggling how many cues for sale are out there.

You've got quite the reputation for going through cues like underwear Justin.

Here's the question you must ask yourself and don't buy another cue until you have answered it honestly and thoroughly.

What do you want out of your cue?

Looks, feel, prestige, certain materials, etc. Forget the price. By the time you figure it out you should have saved what you need and if not, don't settle and keep playing what you have.