Best remedy for staying down?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What helps me is to stay down on the shot and shoot is, I do not move until I see the QB make contact with the OB.

John

Last edited:

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Staying Down

Many reasons for moving on the shot or jumping up, but the main reason I see people do it is they are wanting to see the result of the shot.

Best Quick Fix for this - Gently press bridge hand fingers against the table. This will anchor you to the table. It will no longer be natural to just jump up, instead you would have to push up off the table and its not going to happen. Try it, and you don't have to press hard, just enough that you feel the table pushing back.

Also the biggest jump I ever had in my game wasn't what I expected. It was a different mindset. What do we have control over? We have control over what we think about before, during, after the shot. We have control over decision of shot, how we setup for the shot. We have control over our stroke. We do not have control over the cue ball, the object ball or the outcome of the shot. If you can wrap your mind around that and focus on what we have control over - its eye opening. On my final stroke I am no longer thinking of cue ball, aim, position, spin, speed, pocket... all I think about on the final stroke is keep my head perfectly still and deliver the best stroke I can (that is the same as what I did during practice strokes).

Michael S

Registered
Good Morning,
What I was taught was to stay down until the cue ball stops. Sometimes nerves, lack of patience, and not knowing what to do during a shot will cause you to get up prematurely. What you don't want to do is being in stance deciding what to do.

Another good reason to stay in stance is to watch the great shot you just made!

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1PJohn has a good suggestion. I not only look at CB/OB contact, but if possible my eyes follow the CB path after contact.

It's funny that you write that you follow the cue balls path after contact, that's what I do also. :)

I'm going to write something here that may or may not be advised for beginners in the game or welcomed.

For me, while making the shot is important to keep playing, in my mind making the shot is secondary. The positioning of the cue ball after contact is my primary goal.

In my mind, if the cue ball doesn't end up where I wanted then it was a bad shot and I need to practice.

Have fun out there. :)

John

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, first, you do have to have a good stance. If you're off-balance, it will be more difficult to stay down.

Next, most players don't realize that they're not staying down. It has to feel like you're staying down too long. Then it's probably about right.

And finally... Take it to the practice table and just practice staying down on your shots over and over and over again. And when you think you've done it enough, do it some more.

There is no other way. Work hard.

Last edited: