Chest contact/Follow through

eNkel

Registered
Hello!

I'm playing pool since December 2015, and I practice almost everyday because I love this sport and I get consistently better over the time. But I have the fear, I have problems in my technique which can get easily in the way of becoming better later on.

I like the videos from Brett Lee on the APA Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAl4j5eRBA&list=PLbHCILPWG6XAM8e1se9ZwxDtzYmpElLUV&index=2
I try to get the stance which he is teaching with a closed snooker stance. When I started pool, my stance wasn't that much different without any help, so I think the closed stance is the right thing for me. So far so good.
I have never concerned about it till now, but my chest (more like my "tits", you guys surely get the point) is in the way when I want to follow through the cue ball. So naturally, when I want to get past my chest, I drop instinctively my elbow and the tip rises. Like when I want to draw the cue ball, it doesn't touch the fell.

So I tried to minimize my follow through. I tried to have the fist of my "cue arm" ending on my "tits"/chest everytime after I shoot, then I experienced, it is much more difficult for me to get good draw because, of course, my follow-through is much more limited. I meassured about 9 inch, and the tip is a little bit jerking/wobbling at the end of the stroke because I get in contact with my chest. So I think, the best way to eliminate my problem (if it is a problem, thats what I'm unsure about...) is to get the chest out of the way, but I don't want to change the base of my stance.
Can you guys help me out? I could make a video of me shotting some balls tonight, just tell me from which positions you want it so you can clearly see my problems.

Greetings,
eNkel

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Shoot some draw shots with a striped ball orientated with the stripe horizontal to the table.

Look at the chalk mark on the ball each time. I bet you are not hitting the ball as low as you think you are (or should)

Hello!

I'm playing pool since December 2015, and I practice almost everyday because I love this sport and I get consistently better over the time. But I have the fear, I have problems in my technique which can get easily in the way of becoming better later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAl4j5eRBA&list=PLbHCILPWG6XAM8e1se9ZwxDtzYmpElLUV&index=2
I try to get the stance which he is teaching with a closed snooker stance. When I started pool, my stance wasn't that much different without any help, so I think the closed stance is the right thing for me. So far so good.
I have never concerned about it till now, but my chest (more like my "tits", you guys surely get the point) is in the way when I want to follow through the cue ball. So naturally, when I want to get past my chest, I drop instinctively my elbow and the tip rises. Like when I want to draw the cue ball, it doesn't touch the fell.

So I tried to minimize my follow through. I tried to have the fist of my "cue arm" ending on my "tits"/chest everytime after I shoot, then I experienced, it is much more difficult for me to get good draw because, of course, my follow-through is much more limited. I meassured about 9 inch, and the tip is a little bit jerking/wobbling at the end of the stroke because I get in contact with my chest. So I think, the best way to eliminate my problem (if it is a problem, thats what I'm unsure about...) is to get the chest out of the way, but I don't want to change the base of my stance.
Can you guys help me out? I could make a video of me shotting some balls tonight, just tell me from which positions you want it so you can clearly see my problems.

Greetings,
eNkel

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are built like, look like, think like and act like the teacher, then you should do as he says.

Good luck
randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your chest is that much in the way then you're obviously crowding the line of the shot with your body. Your stance is off. Your back foot probably crossed over the line of the shot to where your torso is on the line rather than your arm. Often times it's a perception problem. You think your back foot is on the line of the shot but it's not. It's over the line.

There is never a need to hit yourself in the chest when you stroke and don't let anyone get away with telling you that you should.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!

I have never concerned about it till now, but my chest (more like my "tits", you guys surely get the point) is in the way when I want to follow through the cue ball.I suggest you watch that video again. He covers that and why it happens. So naturally, when I want to get past my chest, I drop instinctively my elbow and the tip rises. Like when I want to draw the cue ball, it doesn't touch the fell. Watch his video on follow through.

So I tried to minimize my follow through.Watch his video on follow through. I tried to have the fist of my "cue arm" ending on my "tits"/chest everytime after I shoot, then I experienced, it is much more difficult for me to get good draw because, of course, my follow-through is much more limited.Length of follow through has nothing to do with how much draw you get. I meassured about 9 inch, and the tip is a little bit jerking/wobbling at the end of the stroke because I get in contact with my chest.Of course the cue will move off line if you are hitting your chest. However, by that time, the cb is long gone and that movement at the end of your stroke has nothing to do with your stroke accuracy. You already know what is causing the movement at the end of the stroke, and it is not a problem. So I think, the best way to eliminate my problem (if it is a problem, thats what I'm unsure about...) is to get the chest out of the way, but I don't want to change the base of my stance. What you are actually saying, is that you want different results doing exactly the same thing. Not going to happen. If you want different results, you have to change something.

Greetings,
eNkel

See if that helps you at all.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your chest is that much in the way then you're obviously crowding the line of the shot with your body. Your stance is off. Your back foot probably crossed over the line of the shot to where your torso is on the line rather than your arm. Often times it's a perception problem. You think your back foot is on the line of the shot but it's not. It's over the line.

There is never a need to hit yourself in the chest when you stroke and don't let anyone get away with telling you that you should.

"Get away with"?? We get it Fran, you don't like the pendulum stroke.

eNkel

Registered
Thanks a lot for the answers, it seems there is still so much to learn...

Another question came up for me: Is there any rule where to grip the cuestick? A few guys are telling me to grip on the Butt Sleeve because "it's better". But I just don't feel comfortable with it. I'm 1,65m and my grip is on the very end of my wrap. Maybe the pinky is on the Butt Sleeve a little bit.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip...snip...snip... it seems there is still so much to learn...snip snip snip.

This is true for just about every pool player if not every pool player. Keep learning and enjoying the process.

Best

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks a lot for the answers, it seems there is still so much to learn...

Another question came up for me: Is there any rule where to grip the cuestick? A few guys are telling me to grip on the Butt Sleeve because "it's better". But I just don't feel comfortable with it. I'm 1,65m and my grip is on the very end of my wrap. Maybe the pinky is on the Butt Sleeve a little bit.
The orthodox advice is for your forearm to be perpendicular to the cue stick at the instant the cue tip contacts the cue ball. The actual grip position will vary with the cue, the individual and the bridge length for the particular shot. A grip behind the perpendicular is bad.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The orthodox advice is for your forearm to be perpendicular to the cue stick at the instant the cue tip contacts the cue ball. The actual grip position will vary with the cue, the individual and the bridge length for the particular shot. A grip behind the perpendicular is bad.

why??
also what about alittle forward of perpendicular??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
why??
also what about alittle forward of perpendicular??
It is hard to criticize a little forward of perpendicular since that is where many of the old-time champions held the cue.

Significantly behind perpendicular more or less guarantees a rising tip at impact.

eNkel

Registered

I thought perpendicular to the floor?!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Get away with"?? We get it Fran, you don't like the pendulum stroke.

That's an ignorant comment. I use the fixed elbow stroke for the majority of my shots. And guess, what? I don't ever hit myself in the chest.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought perpendicular to the floor?!

No, Bob's right. It would only be perpendicular to the floor your cue was perfectly level, which is isn't because of the rails being in the way, and it's not level in other shots where you elevate it intentionally.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is hard to criticize a little forward of perpendicular since that is where many of the old-time champions held the cue.

Significantly behind perpendicular more or less guarantees a rising tip at impact.

thanks for the reply bob