Training and Re learning

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone. My first post of many I hope. Hoping to learn as much as I can and get back into the game that I love.

I've been away from pool since 2003 and have decided I want to get back into it and start playing some tournaments again. I just ordered a Diamond and am pretty excited to start working on my game again.

I played on a masters pool team for a number of years before I stopped playing. I was never the best on the team but I could hold my own. Won a few tournaments through the years and had a ton of fun playing and meeting people all over North America. Was a great ride before I had a family.

Where I live doesn't have much of a pool scene but i hope to get into some singles events in our area or the province over.

My question for the instructors is about aim and a bit about technique. When I was playing a lot I always had a hard time with straight in shots on a nine foot. I would miss the pocket to the right every time and by just a bit. It told me my aim was off or my dominate eye was causing me to aim incorrectly. When I start playing again or practicing again I want to start with my eyes and alignment. Who can help me with how to get me started back properly with my alignment and aiming? I don't mind buying books or Videos to learn. Or even working with someone to help me get started back into the game.

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to learning from you all and excited to get back at it.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post and welcome back.

Alignment is a finicky thing. So here are some thoughts to train with.

1. Not everyone has a dominant eye!
2. Most of us use both eyes to aim. (triangulation)
3. The most important part is to find your correct head position around the cue and stay with it.
4. The problem may not be alignment. It could be from a poor stroke or poor aim.

PBIA Master Instructor
randyg

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post and welcome back.

Alignment is a finicky thing. So here are some thoughts to train with.

1. Not everyone has a dominant eye!
2. Most of us use both eyes to aim. (triangulation)
3. The most important part is to find your correct head position around the cue and stay with it.
4. The problem may not be alignment. It could be from a poor stroke or poor aim.

PBIA Master Instructor
randyg

That is what I am pondering. Can you advise me with the best stroke building practice drills?

My weakness was never aim or stroke when I played but I did go back and forth a bit with the length of my stroke. The stroke is the first thing I will be building.

Thanks for your input. Its much appreciated.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what I am pondering. Can you advise me with the best stroke building practice drills?

My weakness was never aim or stroke when I played but I did go back and forth a bit with the length of my stroke. The stroke is the first thing I will be building.

Thanks for your input. Its much appreciated.

The best stroke training drill is an SPF Instructor.
If you were close I could help, otherwise you should search out Scott Lee, he is one of the best!

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice to you would be to first try not to compare yourself from 2003 to yourself now. Start playing again and give yourself a chance to see where you're at. But don't jump in starting to make changes before you spend time on the table. Play for awhile first.

Then when you feel you've got a handle on who you are at the table, you can seek out help. Take your time. You may find that you've changed over the years.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP is in British Columbia. Brad Hornshaw is a great SPF instructor located just north of Seattle WA, which may not be too far for the OP to travel. I won't be up in that area anytime soon.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The best stroke training drill is an SPF Instructor.
If you were close I could help, otherwise you should search out Scott Lee, he is one of the best!

randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonas111...Short of working with an SPF instructor, here's what I would do...

Get a lazer level, and put down hole reinforcements (those little white paper circles with a hole in the middle) at 12" increments on that straight line from the headspot into the middle of the pocket opening. Start with the CB and OB at 12" apart. Shoot a stop shot. See if you can respot the OB ball where it was, without having to move the CB. If you can, then see if the CB and OB are still on that straight line. My guess is that the CB will be slightly to the left, since you said you miss slightly to the right. Work on your alignment and stroke until you can shoot perfect stop shots from 1', 2', 3' and 4' between the two balls. When you're doing it correctly the CB will stop dead behind where the OB was, and when you replace the OB, both balls will be on that straight line. Sometimes we have to make slight physical corrections in your aim to fix things. Get your stroke straight first.

Scott Lee

Hi Everyone. My first post of many I hope. Hoping to learn as much as I can and get back into the game that I love.

I've been away from pool since 2003 and have decided I want to get back into it and start playing some tournaments again. I just ordered a Diamond and am pretty excited to start working on my game again.

I played on a masters pool team for a number of years before I stopped playing. I was never the best on the team but I could hold my own. Won a few tournaments through the years and had a ton of fun playing and meeting people all over North America. Was a great ride before I had a family.

Where I live doesn't have much of a pool scene but i hope to get into some singles events in our area or the province over.

My question for the instructors is about aim and a bit about technique. When I was playing a lot I always had a hard time with straight in shots on a nine foot. I would miss the pocket to the right every time and by just a bit. It told me my aim was off or my dominate eye was causing me to aim incorrectly. When I start playing again or practicing again I want to start with my eyes and alignment. Who can help me with how to get me started back properly with my alignment and aiming? I don't mind buying books or Videos to learn. Or even working with someone to help me get started back into the game.

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to learning from you all and excited to get back at it.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonas111...Short of working with an SPF instructor, here's what I would do...

Get a lazer level, and put down hole reinforcements (those little white paper circles with a hole in the middle) at 12" increments on that straight line from the headspot into the middle of the pocket opening. Start with the CB and OB at 12" apart. Shoot a stop shot. See if you can respot the OB ball where it was, without having to move the CB. If you can, then see if the CB and OB are still on that straight line. My guess is that the CB will be slightly to the left, since you said you miss slightly to the right. Work on your alignment and stroke until you can shoot perfect stop shots from 1', 2', 3' and 4' between the two balls. When you're doing it correctly the CB will stop dead behind where the OB was, and when you replace the OB, both balls will be on that straight line. Sometimes we have to make slight physical corrections in your aim to fix things. Get your stroke straight first.

Scott Lee

This is almost exactly what I used to do back when I used to practice everyday. Almost the same. I used to hit a straight in shot on a 9' and try and have the CB rotate one rotation after contact. But I started at 4' to 5'. Which I now know is a mistake and should start much closer.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I really do appreciate it.

I want to understand what the laser level will do. Do you have a picture or video of this drill by chance?

I went to a pool hall a few days ago for the first time in 14 years and hit some balls for 3 hours. I was a bit disappointed how bad I was at first. My aim and stroke felt terrible but that's to be expected. When I did the straight shot drill the OB was missing to the left. After some adjustments it was quickly rectified.

One thing for sure is I have that burning desire to get back into the game I loved for so many years. I'm excited to get back at this and compete again someday.

Thanks again Scott and I have been searching the Internet for more info on you and how to learn properly.

Last edited:

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice to you would be to first try not to compare yourself from 2003 to yourself now. Start playing again and give yourself a chance to see where you're at. But don't jump in starting to make changes before you spend time on the table. Play for awhile first.

Then when you feel you've got a handle on who you are at the table, you can seek out help. Take your time. You may find that you've changed over the years.

This is very good advice. I agree with what your saying and I plan to join an amateur fun league next fall and see where it takes me.

My thoughts on the changes I wanted to make from my past to today is based on many years of golfing and having a 0 to 2 HDCP for 10 or more years. I understand the hard work and technique in golf swing now and managed to keep my swing simple. I would like to do the same thing with my pool stroke. I have never really liked my pool stroke, even when I played the best of my ability. It seemed to break down on certain shots.

I never had any coaching or any help on my stroke ever. My thoughts now are to make sure my fundamentals are good and the need practice those core fundamentals.

One thing I know from my experience In pool and now in golf is if I can get a great stroke it's a lot easier to have the confidence and trust in any situation. I have learnt a ton from golf that will help me in pool.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I want to understand what the laser level will do. Do you have a picture or video of this drill by chance?

The laser level allows you to set up perfectly straight in shots. Set the level behind the head spot and aim it directly to the center of the jaws of the pocket. Use the laser to position the reinforcements along the laser line as Scott suggested.
Steve

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
And if you don't have a laser level, use a length of string or twine, Stretch it between the two points and tape the ends.

You can then position the hole reinforcers under it.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The laser level allows you to set up perfectly straight in shots. Set the level behind the head spot and aim it directly to the center of the jaws of the pocket. Use the laser to position the reinforcements along the laser line as Scott suggested.
Steve

And if you don't have a laser level, use a length of string or twine, Stretch it between the two points and tape the ends.

You can then position the hole reinforcers under it.

Thank you both for posting.

How does a guy know he has the fundamentals right?

Grip pressure, stance, etc.

Because I started at a very young age and taught myself pool by watching trick shot videos and was lucky enough to get my hands on a Bert Kinister video I believe I was a really good pool player but had some flaws in my stroke. This time around I want to start by building a solid stroke. I want to do it right.

Unfortunately for me there is no pool instructors with in 500 miles of where I am. I will be doing my best to buy books and videos from you guys to build what I believe to be a solid trustworthy stroke. Once I feel like I have it the game will start to come together slowly.

I'm pretty excited to start over again.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Working with someone who knows the difference between good fundamentals and bad is one way.

Video recording and reviewing yourself is another.

Observe the actions of the cueball, your tip, and your back hand after you finish your stroke is another.

Thank you both for posting.

How does a guy know he has the fundamentals right?

Grip pressure, stance, etc.

Because I started at a very young age and taught myself pool by watching trick shot videos and was lucky enough to get my hands on a Bert Kinister video I believe I was a really good pool player but had some flaws in my stroke. This time around I want to start by building a solid stroke. I want to do it right.

Unfortunately for me there is no pool instructors with in 500 miles of where I am. I will be doing my best to buy books and videos from you guys to build what I believe to be a solid trustworthy stroke. Once I feel like I have it the game will start to come together slowly.

I'm pretty excited to start over again.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working with someone who knows the difference between good fundamentals and bad is one way.

Video recording and reviewing yourself is another.

Observe the actions of the cueball, your tip, and your back hand after you finish your stroke is another.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the help in anyway possible.

I need to get my pool table to start the work.