Swerve

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just wondering if swerve is a constant?

When I shoot slow with lots of spin, I feel like after a certain distance it stops swerving.

Can someone explain what is happening? I don't think I'm running out of english, but the ball seems to stop curving in at some point.

Elevated I could see the swerve wearing off because the drag might be causing the ball to be losing spin.

But does the ball swerve in to a degree and then proceed straight while still spinning sideways?,

Or does it swerve in extremely and then less and less, but still swerving in?

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The swerve is the result of hitting the cue ball off center. Since the amount of directional energy is greater than the offset energy, the swerve will wear off faster. The amount of swerve will vary depending on stroke speed, and the distance off center of the hit.
Steve

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just wondering if swerve is a constant?

When I shoot slow with lots of spin, I feel like after a certain distance it stops swerving.

Can someone explain what is happening? I don't think I'm running out of english, but the ball seems to stop curving in at some point.

Elevated I could see the swerve wearing off because the drag might be causing the ball to be losing spin.

But does the ball swerve in to a degree and then proceed straight while still spinning sideways?,

Or does it swerve in extremely and then less and less, but still swerving in?

The swerve is a smooth curve (technically a parabola) that continues until the ball is rolling smoothly on the cloth. If you play a shot with draw, it will be a relatively long distance until the ball is rolling smoothly on the cloth. After that curve, the ball continues in a straight line.

The amount of swerve that will occur, that is, the change in angle of the cue ball's path, is larger for more side spin, more elevation and more draw. The final direction of the cue ball's path is predicted by the same rule that allows you to aim masse shots that was discovered by Coriolis a long time ago and first appeared in English in Robert Byrne's books.

Check out Dr. Dave's site for an explanation of Coriolis's rule.

BTW, if you played with a truly level cue stick, the ball would not swerve.

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swerve doesn't only happen with draw, the curve is delayed with draw and side spin and the curve happens sooner with top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk