Cue Review Of A Early Billy Webb / SpiderWeb Custom Cue

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I recently had a customer bring in an early Billy Webb custom cue to have a new shaft built for it, and I think the cue was built around approximately 1985. The cue has 12 points of snake wood, 6 in the forearm and 6 in the cues butt. The forearm and the cues butt are Gabon Ebony and like all cues Billy builds the points are all V-spliced.

1) Construction: After 23 years the cue is solid as rock, and completely straight. The cue was placed between centers on my lathe and again after all these years I could find no more than .002 roll out at the A-joint. Now to me this is very impressive, when you can find new cues with roll out that far exceeds this at that location. The points on the butt and on the forearm still flush with the surface of the forearm and the butt. There is no sign of expansion on this cue, although it is certainly well played.

2) Weight, the cue weighs 19.4 oz with the new shaft. I am uncertain if this cue is cored like current models, however, it appears not to be.

2) Taper: Since this cue is an early example of Bills work, it has a straight tapered forearm, not the Parabolic Taper Bill uses today.

3) Finish: I am uncertain what type of finish Bill used on this cue, however, it has held up extremely well over the last 23 years. Currently Billy is using an Automotive finish that he sprays himself in his shop.

In-closing, I do not know how many hands this cue has gone through since it was new. However, Billy's construction techniques are certainly sound, and again I am truly impressed with them. This is a true test of a cue makers ability, and there certain is no better test than that of time.

Below are some photo's of the cue in question.

webb1.jpg

webb2.jpg

webb3.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Finally spoke to Billy about this and it was certainly made in 1985, and he was surprised that the cue was still in use.

secretsquirrel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craig

I almost bought this cue and a Petit came up at the same time so we went with Rogers and I still wish I had bought it.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
secretsquirrel said:
I almost bought this cue and a Petit came up at the same time so we went with Rogers and I still wish I had bought it.

Check it out the next time you see Franky, I jus got done refinishing the cue. Franky is a very happy camper, he picked it up last night!

Craig

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy makes an AWESOME cue!

If I remember correctly, I think Billy made this cue for you Craig......

100_2722.jpg

100_3111A.jpg

100_3111.jpg

100_3112B.jpg

The veneers and ringwork are GORGEOUS!!! :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
krbsailing said:
If I remember correctly, I think Billy made this cue for you Craig......

100_2722.jpg

100_3111A.jpg

100_3111.jpg

100_3112B.jpg

The veneers and ringwork are GORGEOUS!!! :)

Yes he did I wish I had never let that cue leave my possession.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Manwon

Thanks for the review ... I always enjoy reading your posts rather it is a simple review or something in which you are standing up for... I find your posts well written and well worth the read and sometimes very exciting ... You stick up for what you believe in rather your wrong or right you definatly give it your all... I respect that and for that reason enjoy your posts ... I hope you continue to post of a long time ... I often find myself in agreement with you while that may not always be the case I do thank you for the reads....

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta tell ya. I got a cue from someone on here trading it as a Webb. I thought I was buying a Mike Webb because I didn't pay attention. I was disappointed when I got it because it was a Billy Webb but it was my fault. He said it was a billy webb. Well, I hung on to it for a few weeks then took it and shot with it. WOW was all I could say. I was quite happy I didn't pay attention. Every one who has shot with my Webb loves it. The hit feel and play are incredible. One of the best cues I own. If I wasn't so fond of my full splice S&S it'd be my playing cue.