How Fractional Aiming Systems Help

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Some (mostly undercooked) food for thought about aiming system benefits for everybody.

pj
chgo

Aiming Grids.jpg

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not disagreeing with anything said:

If one can imaging the various angles eminating from the OB towards the pocket , in order to pick the full-ness fo the OB contact , then one can somewhat MORE easily imagine a ghost ball sitting on line with the OB and pocket.

And not promoting Ghost Ball either.

Just providing a clue as to how much mental energy is going into the imagination process associated with aiming.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not disagreeing with anything said:

If one can imaging the various angles eminating from the OB towards the pocket , in order to pick the full-ness fo the OB contact , then one can somewhat MORE easily imagine a ghost ball sitting on line with the OB and pocket.

And not promoting Ghost Ball either.

Just providing a clue as to how much mental energy is going into the imagination process associated with aiming.

Or you can just use the center to edge line and not have to imagine anything. No estimating, no guessing, no worrying about the angle, no imaginary ghost ball, just looking at the same thing all the time.

Thank you Hal Houle And Stan Shuffet.

Or you can just use the center to edge line and not have to imagine anything. No estimating, no guessing, no worrying about the angle, no imaginary ghost ball, just looking at the same thing all the time.

Thank you Hal Houle And Stan Shuffet.

How do you ever miss if you don't have to estimate or guess or worry? Serious question.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad stroke or cue delivery, improper visualization of the CTE or other aim lines, adjustments for english, CIT, or other table conditions. Even if we can pick out the proper aim line or spot 100% of the time, it's still tough to get the cue ball to that spot each and every time.
Scott

Bad stroke or cue delivery, improper visualization of the CTE or other aim lines, adjustments for english, CIT, or other table conditions. Even if we can pick out the proper aim line or spot 100% of the time, it's still tough to get the cue ball to that spot each and every time.
Scott

Not really. There are alot of players with strokes good enough where if they are on the right aiming line, then they are not going to miss. The pockets are generally not that tight, and there is alot of room for error. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Or skip the ghost ball and simply "see" the contact point. But everybody doesn't have the same visualization abilities, so it's not valid to say one way is always better or easier than another.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ahhh... Halfball Land. Where every shot is 30 degrees and never is heard a discouraging word.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Scott
So pool is hard and aiming isn't everything.

Uh, OK.

pj
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really. There are alot of players with strokes good enough where if they are on the right aiming line, then they are not going to miss. The pockets are generally not that tight, and there is alot of room for error. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

stevie moore.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you ever miss if you don't have to estimate or guess or worry? Serious question.

Because its still a visual system and I'm human. I miss a lot less because I always look at the same thing now, and its something real, not a ghost.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or skip the ghost ball and simply "see" the contact point. But everybody doesn't have the same visualization abilities, so it's not valid to say one way is always better or easier than another.

pj
chgo

WOW, I think I will agree with PJ on this one.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not really. There are alot of players with strokes good enough where if they are on the right aiming line, then they are not going to miss. The pockets are generally not that tight, and there is alot of room for error. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night :thumbup:.

Aiming systems are good. Any poolplayer "worth his salt" uses one whether or not he/she realizes it. There are many different kinds. Fact is though, EVERYBODY misses shots and nobody using any particular type of system is the undisputed "King of Pool". On the contrary, we on this forum cannot even come to an agreement on who the best player IS. Until ONE player COMPLETELY dominates the tournament scene and maintains his dominance over a period of many years with his aiming system, we will never KNOW nor be able to state with any accuracy which system is best (and imo, this ain't gonna happen).

IMO, the one that's best is the one that works the best for that particular player.

I wish people would quit spouting off how one system is head-and-shoulders better than the others. Maybe to them it is but not so much to others.

They're ALL good in one way or another!!!

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Who said anything about 30 degrees. Your diagram explains a lot more than you bother to try and understand.

First off, I am neither a naysayer nor a yeasayer. Let's get that straight right here and now.

What Patrick's diagram explains is that no matter what aiming system you use, there is still a degree of ESTIMATION involved in the overall scheme of things. And....that is why all poolplayers, even those who use a specific "system" miss shots. Nobody is ever going to get to the point to where they can pot the makeable shots 100% of the time. EVER.

Maniac (can't believe I'm posting in an aiming thread again)