Dufferin Cues - Reviews

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

What do you guys think of dufferin cues? I think there a Canadian company, but I am in the market for my first cue, and I don't want to spend to much money, ive seen some st a local store in toronto around the $100 range. Any advice?

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are plenty of cue's in the $100-$200 range that get the job done well...

I haven't owned a Dufferin for a long time...I had a red leaf sneaky and it hit alright. I played with it for about a year and then moved on to other cues...Its all personal preference. If you have a cue retailer in your area go down and look at the cues that are in your price range and ask if you can test hit the ones your interested in...after that buy the one that feels and shoots the best for you...

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I should be going to check out the store today, il def ask if I can test them out, what are somethings I should look or watch out for?

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion in the $100ish price range a plane jane cue (in the color of your choice) with a linen wrap is going to be the best bang for the buck...again just my opinion...If it were me all I'd worry about is "do I like the way this cue feels and hits?" ...Obviously you'll want a cue that you think looks good. There is something to be said about having pride in your cue but the most important part is if you like the way it hits...if you dont like it when your test hitting with it you wont like it at the pool hall either...

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

What do you guys think of dufferin cues? I think there a Canadian company, but I am in the market for my first cue, and I don't want to spend to much money, ive seen some st a local store in toronto around the $100 range. Any advice?

Any new Dufferin you find with this logo, is going to be a China made cue.
category20.jpg

Older Dufferins with the Red Leaf, Green Leaf, or White/Black Leaf inlaid into the butt are quality cues, albeit hard to find.
Dufferin001.jpg

I would recommend you look at the Players HXT line of cues or if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, order a Schmelke cue from David Schmelke at Schmelkecues.com

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmm good info, well i recently found out from an az member that the pool hall right by my house, hosts tourneys on mon and wed nights, i wanted to go play tonight, it would be first time ever playing in a weekly tourney, so i thought id go and look at cues, but ive been practicing with only house cues for so long now and im pretty comfortable with them, i guess i can play with the house cues.

ok il check the players and the link provided.

BTW whats a low deflection shaft??

this is the store i was checking out, they have names like predator, nemesis, poison, duffering, and more

http://www.fgbradleys.com/fgb-cart/default.asp?cat=2 if someone can recommend a cue from here, or anyother decent store in toronto area

or these nemesis cues, never heard of this brand but there around my budget and look decent http://www.fgbradleys.com/fgb-cart/default.asp?cat=40

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These were 1 piece Duffs from 1998. I had them modified. Older Duff are very good players and hold up well.

Attachments

• IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7,050
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 7,218
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 7,308
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7,136

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any Chinese made cue for a $100 is going to be about the same quality. You can only put so much into a cue at that price point.
The biggest concern at that price is how long before it starts to come apart

if you don't mind taking a chance that it will or will not come apart and the $100 is not a big deal to lose go for it.
Some low end cues have a lifetime warranty but at $100 I don't know. Good question to ask at that store.
My advice would be to save a little more and get into a better quality cue.
My choice at that price would be a schmelke made in the US..
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_pool_cues.htm
Take a look here and make sure you look at the "M" series.Great value for your price point.

Last edited:

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to check out at walk in store location then your pretty limited in selection in Canada. Online canadian stores have good selection but if you want to go somewhere to check out cues then maybe you can check out Don Broos in Milton with First Choice Billiards.

Dufferin where okay when they were made in Canada but they were never really great as is. They were great for American's because they were cheap as hell when are dollar was worth next to nothing but to Canadians they were not worth what they cost to us at the time but they do make a good starting point for a custom conversion since they used pretty good wood.

I personally would recommend a Players cue like the Players C-950 but shop around you may be able to get it below 90 dollars Canadian. I focus on mentioning Canadian since US people might get confused with the differences in prices between Canadian dollars and US dollar stores.

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$100 cue

I agree with Measureman.
Schmelke sp. excellent value for the $ and you can get in 2 different types of wood.
Mcp.

Trident_John

I just bought my first cue within the last six months and I was in the same situation you are in now. I went with a dufferin and it was okay but when I tried a friend's players hxt I liked the players better. It just seemed to have a more solid hit then the dufferin and I was more comfortable with the players too.

CKells46

For around $100 you can't go wrong with a schmelke. I was in the same boat about a year ago, ended up going with a schmelke sp with a 3/8x10 pin and triangle tip, couldn't be happier.

Only thing i didn't like was the finish on the shaft, ended up sanding it off. If you call them up directly they'll make whatever you want, many different wood choices.

I'm actually having an old red leaf dufferin conversion made at the moment, but still going to hold onto my schmelke :thumbup:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just picked up a red leaf cue...it is showing it's age........anyone know where I can bring it for refinishing??

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
just picked up a red leaf cue...it is showing it's age........anyone know where I can bring it for refinishing??

Try something different. Have it converted

Attachments

• Dufferin.jpg
    Dufferin.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 520