has anyone else seen this, bumpers?

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
been buying my bumpers from the same company for 10 - 12 years. they are one of the larger companys that we all know.

just got in my last order of 30 bumpers, same price as usual, but look at the quality.

bumper on the right is used, but it is one of the older ones

bumper on left has a seam [ bad ] all the way around and the head is a different shape.

would you put one of these on your cues?

Attachments

• P8221635.jpg
    P8221635.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 744
  • P8221637.jpg
    P8221637.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 735
  • P8221640.jpg
    P8221640.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 744

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Yep, they changed their push in bumpers too. I won't use either of the new bumpers now.

Larry

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have also noticed that the last batch I got, they keep unscrewing. I've had 3 cues lose their bumper. I've had to dab a bit of glue to the stem to keep them in. I bought a batch from an AZ'r and those seem to be a much better fit. It's like the new ones have a slightly smaller dia. stem.
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That's a "stress-relieved" bumper. :grin-square:
They mold it one side at a time.:eek:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Well, you're partially correct in that it is a different mold.
That would indicate a different manufacturer. I wonder if they cost more???

Chuck, you're not supposed to notice such trivial details. Now you're an artist already?
What's important here is that they didn't raise the price......right?

If you're going to get serious about bumpers you need to get closer to the source.
These things are ridiculously cheap when bought in qty. and you know where to look.
Here's a clue. These are an industry standard item, they aren't made specifically for pool cues.
The billiard market was an afterthought, still is.
You guys already deal with the alternate sources. Search 'rubber bumper' next time you're there.

I got lucky, I never have to buy another bumper again unless I want to.
The local town/village was host to a Mohawk Rubber plant at one time, some buds worked there.
They told me that they run a bumper exactly like what I use on my cues. We talked.
Here's what really got my attention; they could run them in whatever durometer I wanted.
One of the reasons that butt-caps explode is because the bumper is too soft.
Compress it and it has no where to go but out, sideways. Good-bye butt-cap.
Start raising the durometer rating of the rubber and the bumper doesn't compress as readily.
To a small degree, you can tune the hit of a cue by the durometer of the bumper.
Anyway, I had them run some extra sheets when they next ran bumpers in various D-ratings.
I'm set for life and all it cost me was a case or two of beer.

HTHs, KJ

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I would not put the one with flash line on my cue. I would also sent it back.

It looks like shi_.

JMO,

Rick

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
The trade name for that kind of material is milastomer, santoprene, or nexprene...ect. The durometer is controlled by the amount of polypropylene that is added and can go up to about 90 shore if I remember right. Its been awhile since I ran any. If you want to take the flash off you can hit it with a heat gun or torch lightly. If you torch it too much it will get shiny.

slip

Banned
would you consider swaping for bumper #1 and upgrading the bolt?
bolt choices, headless, alluminium and steel.

note: sometimes (often) alluminium gives trouble inside hardwoods.
only an opinion.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member

only an opinion.
I think the goal is to not have a bolt due to the way it effects the hit...JMHO

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

only an opinion.

Since no one has replied yet. The problem with your suggestion is the weight bolt. These style bumpers are used more often than not in cues without a weight bolt.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
threaded stem

i like the threaded stem style as i dont use weight bolts and they easily thread into wood.

sent email to supplier on the 23rd to ask if i got a bad bunch or was this going to be the norm for their bumpers. as of yet no answer, so i guess i got my answer.

i think its time to look for new cue building materials supplier.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You can never have too many suppliers.
One might be out of stock, one may have an attitude and prices vary.
So do shipping charges. Some won't use the postal system, even on small items.
Having multiple suppliers allows you, the consumer, to select the supplier that best suits YOUR program.

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the threaded stem style as i dont use weight bolts and they easily thread into wood.

sent email to supplier on the 23rd to ask if i got a bad bunch or was this going to be the norm for their bumpers. as of yet no answer, so i guess i got my answer.

i think its time to look for new cue building materials supplier.

I agree with you on this. I think I know who you are in reference to and if it
is the same supplier their quality and attitude has gone way down hill.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
These bumpers are terrible for staying in. I had 6 of these and on all of them, the bumpers popped out with ease. The casting seam also looks trashy.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if I have "bad" ones, but I live tool the threads for them so I can control the tolerance. Mine are a secure fit.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, they changed their push in bumpers too. I won't use either of the new bumpers now.

Larry

I have had the threaded as well, but usually use the .250 push in style bumpers. I'm running low on the old ones that they use to sell. I hope those haven't been changed too?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I quit using the threaded stem bumpers because of the large diameter. If you countersink them enough to look nice, then they compress when dropped on the floor and blow out the butt cap. I use the 5/8" stem push in bumpers now.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I quit using the threaded stem bumpers because of the large diameter. If you countersink them enough to look nice, then they compress when dropped on the floor and blow out the butt cap. I use the 5/8" stem push in bumpers now.

I would like to see the calculations on the amount of force it takes to blow out the butt cap.
Rubber moves it doesn't compress, so there could be some operator error on that one.