U.S. Open rules discussion

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
Personally I like this, you break from the spot. I've seen this used as a handicap in a money game and it changes everything!

I like breaking from the spot, also. Any ideas on how to speed up the time
spent racking? Some guys seem to take forever!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it would be a good thing to disseminate the rules at the players meeting. For the folks who don't go to the players meeting, even though it is "advised," then it would be their loss. The rules could be in full view by the player charts, and I'm sure the grapevine will help get the message out if there are breaking rules that are different than before.

One thing for sure, no matter what rules are instituted by Barry, Jay, et al., you can be sure that there will be a plethora of dissenting opinions. No matter how hard a tournament director and promoter try to make things happen for the better, you will NEVER satisfy everybody. That goes with the territory.

So the only thing you can do is punt and hope for the best. :grin-square:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing for sure, no matter what rules are instituted by Barry, Jay, et al., you can be sure that there will be a plethora of dissenting opinions. No matter how hard a tournament director and promoter try to make things happen for the better, you will NEVER satisfy everybody. That goes with the territory.

So the only thing you can do is punt and hope for the best. :grin-square:

Totally agree, Jennie.
Not always the case but I'd say the majority of the time the ones who whine the most and loudest are usually the ones you're taking the advantage from.
If you don't have an "edge" then it shouldn't matter. It's the same rules for everyone.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the "small" box with the 9 on the spot takes the break too much out of play, I hope they reconsider about this.
9 on the spot with a "big" box is more than enough, the break has always been an important part of the 9ball game, it's not right to take it out completely.
Petros

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay guys, I just had a phone discussion with Barry and his feeling is we need to implement the rules now so players have time to get ready. The Open is one week away so that is ample time to prepare imo.

Based on the responses we've gotten the nine ball will be on the spot, the smaller break box (9") will be used and the balls will be racked with the one in front and the two in back. It's still Rack Your Own, Winner Breaks and your opponent can inspect the rack one time. We will monitor the matches from a podium in the middle of the arena (only nine tables) and watch for any soft breaking. Of course if a player feels his opponent is soft breaking he should inform us so we can observe the break.

Yes, fouls on all balls, with the same qualifier for incidental touching of a ball by a piece of clothing or hair. Once again if the ball moves it is a foul, no matter what.

By the way, Barry has made changes to the rules of play multiple times down through the years, all in the interest of keeping the U.S. Open as competitive as possible. Most of these players have played internationally, so they are familiar with the rules as stated above.

Nice one Jay and Barry!
Let's lock and load... :thumb up:

Independence-day-will-smith-welcome-to-earth-close-encounter.jpg

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all WPA rules should used in all events period.
It makes no sense to go picking and choosing rules to suit yourselves. The reason that this event got anywhere near to 100 players is because it carries WPA ranking points.
Many overseas players would not attend if they were not on the trail of those points.
Therefore you should follow the WPA rules as a matter of courtesy.
Better still the WPA should issue a written statement asking that their rules are used
before agreeing to sanction the tournament. All these things serve purely to ensure that the game remains fragmented.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that once the rack is lifted that you cant fiddle or touch the one ball.

They actually should have few spare one balls on hand, and gets changed every match! to avoid long racks..Plus many players thinks once they get the rack perfect no gaps, and walk away to other side to break, the gap opens up the minuet they place the CB on the spot to break, or touch the table, or when they back swing and forward swing..hard before CB reaches the rack!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Okay guys, I just had a phone discussion with Barry and his feeling is we need to implement the rules now so players have time to get ready. The Open is one week away so that is ample time to prepare imo.

Based on the responses we've gotten the nine ball will be on the spot, the smaller break box (9") will be used and the balls will be racked with the one in front and the two in back. It's still Rack Your Own, Winner Breaks and your opponent can inspect the rack one time. We will monitor the matches from a podium in the middle of the arena (only nine tables) and watch for any soft breaking. Of course if a player feels his opponent is soft breaking he should inform us so we can observe the break.

Yes, fouls on all balls, with the same qualifier for incidental touching of a ball by a piece of clothing or hair. Once again if the ball moves it is a foul, no matter what.

By the way, Barry has made changes to the rules of play multiple times down through the years, all in the interest of keeping the U.S. Open as competitive as possible. Most of these players have played internationally, so they are familiar with the rules as stated above.

Jay -- Do you mean the break box will be 9" on each side of the long string (18" wide in total) or 9" wide in total?

The reason I ask relates to what happened at the Mosconi Cup last year. They had the 9-ball on the foot spot and a break box that was about a foot wide in total. That had several peculiar effects:

• The breaker made a ball without fouling (i.e., stayed at the table) only 33% of the time, way below the norm in 9-ball events.

• Break-and-run games amounted to only 10% of the total, and more than half of those were from the 9-ball going in on the break. Other than the 9 on the break, the whole Cup produced only 6 B&R games.

• The break in that Cup became a search for how to make the 2-ball bound off the foot rail and kick the 9-ball into a side pocket or a head pocket.

So having a box that is as small as was used at last year's Mosconi Cup produces some strange, and I'd say undesirable, results.

Also note that the break rules in effect at the U.S. Open the past few years have not really produced any sort of B&R fest that some people have mentioned. On the streamed table last year, the B&R percentage, excluding Shane, was just 20%. No one, including Shane, exceeded a 3-pack.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
As TD this year it is my goal to make the rules as fair as possible for everyone. It will be a stellar field, full of great players, and for that I'm excited. Since this is a WPA sanctioned event we will follow their rules as closely as possible.

9-Ball, Texas Express, Winner Breaks and Rack Your Own for starters. We will be playing Foul on All Balls, which is the way most major events are played today all over the world. An incidental touch of a shirt sleeve will not constitute a foul unless the ball moves. It's actually much easier to officiate playing all ball fouls than playing cue ball fouls only. If a ball moves you fouled and there is no question about it.

The big question is how to rack the balls, and there is no clear WPA rule to cover that. We will definitely be using the break box and can either rack the one on the spot or the nine on the spot. The problem with racking the one on the spot is the wing ball is wired for one of the corner pockets, thus making a run-out that much easier. With the nine on the spot this is not the case. Most of the top players I've talked to support the idea of racking the nine on the spot. It makes for a better game requiring more skill. That's the way they do it on all Matchroom events and it seems to work pretty well for them.

Barry's goal as the promoter of this event is to make it the best test of pool in the USA, similar to the U.S. Open in golf. I'm still open to suggestions about this and anything else rule related. I seriously doubt we will require three or more balls to be pocketed or sent past the head string. But we will not allow soft breaking. A cut break is okay as long as a firm stroke is used.

Thanks for your input. Barry has a lot of faith in the members of this forum and he asked me to please put this out there for all to see. It also serves to inform the players in advance what rules we will be using.

Another solution to the racking problem!!!

Mandate the cue ball be placed on the spot only for breaking and use the regular spot!!!

This gets away from the break box and makes rack manipulation much harder. Plus, forces the return of the hard break and the luck factor. The other solution gives the Mosconi Cup players an advantage! They play that way all the time, with the 9 ball on the spot the cup members have alot more experience with it.

The other issue is 9 ball going on the break in the back two pockets???

You leave the correct gap and the 9 ball flies in. So, rack your own and opposing player can inspect the back 2 balls only!!!

Some ideas on what you "can" do to make it more challenging.

KD

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
It makes no sense to go picking and choosing rules to suit yourselves. The reason that this event got anywhere near to 100 players is because it carries WPA ranking points.
Many overseas players would not attend if they were not on the trail of those points.
Better still the WPA should issue a written statement asking that their rules are used
before agreeing to sanction the tournament. All these things serve purely to ensure that the game remains fragmented.

I agree with you here Doug. The WPA needs to fix the broken rack/break issue. The ostrich thing they are doing burying their head under the ground and pretend no issue exist is just "Crazy!"

The relocation of the head spot!!! is one fix but not universally adopted.

Kd

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

--------------> Pleeeeease ! This tournament has been running longer the the WPA has even been in existence.
The U. S. Open should use what ever rules they feel like.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The other issue is 9 ball going on the break in the back two pockets??? ...

With rack your own, it is common that a 9-ball made on the break is spotted up if it went in either of the two foot-rail pockets. The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship has used that rule the last few years.

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member

PRECISELY !!!

This may now be a purely academic statement, but I feel it should be made.

As soon as the event becomes the WPA sanctioned event (in this case it was officially stated some/long time ago) it should equal as an imperative that such an event follows strictly the WPA official Rules and Regulations.

Here: Players from around the World signed up (paid their money; thus, acquired a status of a valuable customer) based on the official, clear expectations of what and how it would be played.

Believe it or not, the official WPA Rules and Regulations are clear enough for any major tournament to be carried on with no issues.

A week before the start of this event (sanctioned by the WPA) some decisions are made as to how (or not) to play it. Some of these clearly contradict the official WPA Rules and Regulations based on the “phone discussion with Barry and his feeling”… (with all due respect to you, Jay; and, of course, to Barry :confused:)

As much as I try to understand all the implications of having different cultural, continental, etc., approaches to the sport, I cannot help but to ask the question:
Where does it lead us to… ???

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They actually should have few spare one balls on hand, and gets changed every match! to avoid long racks..Plus many players thinks once they get the rack perfect no gaps, and walk away to other side to break, the gap opens up the minuet they place the CB on the spot to break, or touch the table, or when they back swing and forward swing..hard before CB reaches the rack!

Explain this in detail please. Not getting it.