U.S. Open rules discussion

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay guys, I just had a phone discussion with Barry and his feeling is we need to implement the rules now so players have time to get ready. The Open is one week away so that is ample time to prepare imo.

Based on the responses we've gotten the nine ball will be on the spot, the smaller break box (9") will be used and the balls will be racked with the one in front and the two in back. It's still Rack Your Own, Winner Breaks and your opponent can inspect the rack one time. We will monitor the matches from a podium in the middle of the arena (only nine tables) and watch for any soft breaking. Of course if a player feels his opponent is soft breaking he should inform us so we can observe the break.

Yes, fouls on all balls, with the same qualifier for incidental touching of a ball by a piece of clothing or hair. Once again if the ball moves it is a foul, no matter what.

By the way, Barry has made changes to the rules of play multiple times down through the years, all in the interest of keeping the U.S. Open as competitive as possible. Most of these players have played internationally, so they are familiar with the rules as stated above.

I cant believe there's only 9 tables at the US open.:eek:
The Turning Stone Classic has 16 tables, with a field of 148 playing and I always had visions that the US Open would be larger than Turning Stone.

JC

Coos Cues
Play ten ball and forget all the gimmicks.

And wait to announce it until the players meeting.

Don't worry. You built it and they will come.

And they will come back and you will have taken a huge step for the future of pool.

JC

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read through this entire thread. The word that comes to mind is "disarray". This is just incredible that rules are being put forth and decided upon in social media for the U.S. Open just one week before the tournament.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the integrity of the players so much in question that scheduling players who are not currently playing matches act as a neutral racker for tourney matches?

9 on the spot is the best way to prevent rack mechanics from manipulating the rack.

Gary

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I cant believe there's only 9 tables at the US open.:eek:
The Turning Stone Classic has 16 tables, with a field of 148 playing and I always had visions that the US Open would be larger than Turning Stone.

Turning Stone had 128, and assuming the field fills, which is a good chance, the US Open will have the same 128.

Turning Stone was a four day event, though, and the US Open is, I believe, a six day event. Nine tables should be enough.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play ten ball and forget all the gimmicks.

And wait to announce it until the players meeting.

Don't worry. You built it and they will come.

And they will come back and you will have taken a huge step for the future of pool.

JC

I agree that it should be a 10 ball tournament but I think Mark Griffin owns the rights to the title "US Open 10 ball"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree that it should be a 10 ball tournament but I think Mark Griffin owns the rights to the title "US Open 10 ball"

The Matchroom events (Mosconi, World Cup of Pool, World Pool Masters), 9-ball every single one of them, remind me that nine ball is the most exciting game. There is a WPA World 9-ball Championship but no WPA World 10-ball Championship. The two biggest paydays in rotation pool on the American pool calendar are at the US Open and the Challenge of Champions, both 9-ball.

At the magnificent CSI invitationals in July at the Rio in Vegas, by far the most exciting match was the 9-ball match between JL Chang and Dennis Orcullo, in which Chang ran six racks and out to win 21-18.

The game the world plays is 9-ball. A switch to ten ball would, I suspect, make this title less important and less prestigious by reducing foreign participation.

..... that said, the CSI US Open 10-ball, a sixteen man invitational, is a fine event that is blossoming into something very special. With Mark Griffin at the helm, we can expect big things.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone had 128, and assuming the field fills, which is a good chance, the US Open will have the same 128.

Turning Stone was a four day event, though, and the US Open is, I believe, a six day event. Nine tables should be enough.

Do they play from 10 Am to 10 PM? Or does it go longer into the night. Do all the players play on Day 1 or do some have to wait for Day 2? I really gotta get down to the Open one of these years. Thanks for the info.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know Jay, this is unwise implementing these rules at the US Open. The rules are not fully vetted. To date, the rules have only been used for small exclusive events. The rules need to pass a test of time. At least with past rules, you know what you have. Now, if one player discovers and exploits a weakness with your proposed rules, it will spread like a disease and kill the event.

Last edited:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I think I know what rules I would use....and the one ball would be on the spot...and there would be no break box.....hmmmm....can't seem to remember what those rules were called....

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know Jay, this is unwise implementing these rules at the US Open. The rules are not fully vetted. To date, the rules have only been used for small exclusive events. The rules need to pass a test of time. At least with past rules, you know what you have. Now, if one player discovers and exploits a weakness with your proposed rules, it will spread like a disease and kill the event.

Paul, I believe the 9-ball was on the foot spot and they broke from a box at some point in the past at the U.S. Open. It didn't kill the event.

But what I still don't know is the size of the box Jay and Barry want to use. That could be critical.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Jay made a big mistake letting himself get lured back. He has an impeccable reputation which could suffer from collateral damage by getting involved in 11th hour changes and discussions like these. You should have stayed true to yourself, my friend. You could have made your pronouncements from afar instead of taking a Bullet for Barry

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Jay made a big mistake letting himself get lured back. He has an impeccable reputation which could suffer from collateral damage by getting involved in 11th hour changes and discussions like these. You should have stayed true to yourself, my friend. You could have made your pronouncements from afar instead of taking a Bullet for Barry

I think there are many professional pool players, even in Europe and Asia, who desire to have this coveted title on their pool résumé. :smile:

This tournament is one one of the longest-running events in the pool world, which happens to be an American event.

We are all grateful to entities like Matchroom Sport for their contributions to pool.

I, for one, really treasure the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. It happens to be in a region of the world that is quite inviting and friendly. People in Virginia are very welcoming, and it's a good place to be this time of year.

There are many who would like to see the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship cease to exist on this forum. I'm not one of them. Long live the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. We should all rejoice in the fact that Jay Helfert will be on site, and there's a multitude of reasons why. I respect the fact that he's helping to keep AMERICAN pool alive, in addition to his contributions to pool on a global scale. :cool:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there are many professional pool players, even in Europe and Asia, who desire to have this coveted title on their pool résumé. :smile:

This tournament is one one of the longest-running events in the pool world, which happens to be an American event.

We are all grateful to entities like Matchroom Sport for their contributions to pool.

I, for one, really treasure the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. It happens to be in a region of the world that is quite inviting and friendly. People in Virginia are very welcoming, and it's a good place to be this time of year.

There are many who would like to see the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship cease to exist on this forum. I'm not one of them. Long live the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. We should all rejoice in the fact that Jay Helfert will be on site, and there's a multitude of reasons why. I respect the fact that he's helping to keep AMERICAN pool alive, in addition to his contributions to pool on a global scale. :cool:

Yes Jen
Jay is good for the US Open but is the US Open going to be good for Jay?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Jen
Jay is good for the US Open but is the US Open going to be good for Jay?

I believe Jay and Barry have an established friendship that goes way back. What is good for pool in general is good for Jay. His presence there gives to some, indeed, a modicum of comfort, mainly because we all know Jay will not tolerate B.S. wherever he is present. So, whether it's the rules, the timely payouts, or the guarantee of fair treatment to all, the event helps to reinforce why Jay Helfert continues to be a pool celebrity in his own right. I do think the U.S. Open is good for Jay as much as I think Jay is good for the U.S. Open. :smile:

Where the magnifying glass should be these days is on the WPA. Who cares about WPA ranking points? They don't mean squat anymore, and neither does the WPA. Their members enjoy the benefits of traveling the globe on tournament promoter's dimes, and what good do they do? Every time I'm reading about them, they're stuffing their beaks at some banquet in places like Qatar. :p

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
1. 9 on spot
2. break from the box
3. 3 point rule
4. 2 ball bottom on the rack
5. NO TRIANGLE OR MAGIC RACK---> TAPPED BALL

that way player can t manipulate with the rack position and everyone have the same rack

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I like the added 2 ball racked in the back. It doesn't sound like much, but it does make pattern racking a bit harder. Johnnyt

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the added 2 ball racked in the back. It doesn't sound like much, but it does make pattern racking a bit harder. Johnnyt

Yup, if you're playing with the 9-ball racked on the spot, then you'll be trying to make the 1-ball in the side and play shape on the 2-ball. Racking it at the back makes that harder, which is a good thing, IMO.

There are two reasons I prefer racking the 9-ball on the spot as opposed to the 1-ball.

1. Making the 1-ball in the side (when the 9 is on the spot) is more of a skill shot than making the corner ball (when the 1 is on the spot).

2. If you're actually trying to make the 1-ball, instead of another random ball, it's hard to play shape on the next ball. Playing the corner ball, it's easier to play for shape on the 1, too, which leads to predictable racks/layouts.

Point 2 is one of the reasons I'm not completely sold on 10-ball being the answer to all of the world's problems. If you have the break down then it can be a little too easy (for the pros at least) to control shape on the 1-ball from the break.