Mosconi Cup Team Announced

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
With all the discussion about John Schmidt's selection, and a couple mentions of his past Mosconi Cup participation, I thought I'd post what that history actually was.

• Schmidt has played on the Mosconi Cup team once -- in 2006 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

• His teammates were -- Archer, Davis, Deuel, Morris, and Strickland.

• The Euro team was -- Alcaide, Engert, Immonen, I. Majid, Souquet, and van den Berg.

• The matches ended in a 12-12 tie. USA retained the Cup, because they had won the previous year.

• Assuming all 6 players on each side participated in the Team matches, then Schmidt participated in 8 matches with 3 wins and 5 losses. The 3 wins were the 2 Team matches and 1 Triples match. The 5 losses were 2 Singles matches, 2 Doubles matches, and 1 Triples match.

• Counting 1/6 of a point for each player in a Team match, 1/3 of a point for each player in a Triples match, 1/2 of a point for each player in a Doubles match, and a full point for each player in a Singles match, Schmidt's contribution toward the overall 12-12 Cup score would be 2/3 of a point on the winning side and 3 1/3 points on the losing side.

so that begs the question... are they playing straight pool? sure hope so :)

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
this thread = watchez is the teacher

i'm pumped to see bergman and hall alongside shane,

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets be real, what is John capable of right now? this isn't 2006

One thing about talent ,, you don't lose it ,,there's only a handful that wins a US open in thier career and he one of them ,, he brings more than just playing to the table and Bergman offers only his playing and never has done it with the best of the best ,,
That might happen one day but that day is not today

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
One thing about talent ,, you don't lose it ,,there's only a handful that wins a US open in thier career and he one of them ,, he brings more than just playing to the table and Bergman offers only his playing and never has done it with the best of the best ,,

you stopped posting over in the other thread after my response to you that included the fact that John has played Jeremy many, many times and John has not won a single set, ever. Not one.

zip, zero, nada.John had a great rotation game years ago and hopefully he will be able to summon some of that magic back into his cue in time for MC action.

He has not displayed any rotation prowess in recent memnory.

If this is not accurate, please let me know what I have missed.

best,
brian kc

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reason

There is a reason for it. That is the decision, final as it may be.

Remember the format has a lot of pair scotch double 9-ball. That has to factor in the equation! Team Chemistry and communication will be important.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

Then your team should consist of Sigel, Hall, Varner, SVB and Earl. Those are the most accomplished in the US Open which is the barometer you only use in what qualifies someone for the Mosconi Cup. I'm sure those guys on my list for you that need to brush off the dust can do so quickly and be ready by December. Maybe Reid Pierce is available too --- hell he has more heart than those 5 put together and he won a US Open I believe.

One thing about talent, you don't lose it. = dumbest post of the year.

My point again about Schmidt - put him on if you think he has the skills and will be a good teammate. Don't put him on as some suggest to mentor the Justins on how to deal with pressure. They don't need it. Do some research on Bergman and Hall before you flap your gums some more.

Last edited:

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know the new players but it's great to see a new fresh US Mosconi team

Definitely the way forward

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you stopped posting over in the other thread after my response to you that included the fact that John has played Jeremy many, many times and John has not won a single set, ever. Not one.

zip, zero, nada.John had a great rotation game years ago and hopefully he will be able to summon some of that magic back into his cue in time for MC action.

best,
brian kc

You missed him beating Corey Deuel in the their last TAR match which was July 2012. There was no 14.1 in the mix. They played 10 Ball, 8 Ball and 1 pocket and John won.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I like the team except for Bergman. He comes across as not a good representative for the US. I have seen him wear a hoodie at Jim Rempe's 14.1 HOF induction and while on the live stream of a major bar box event constantly smoking and hammering beers like it was league night. I may be wrong but it seems like he has a lot of growing up to do in 6 weeks. I would have picked Sossei!

Wedge

Maybe he was cold?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Jeremy has never played John it top form ..

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is a reason for it. That is the decision, final as it may be.

Remember the format has a lot of pair scotch double 9-ball. That has to factor in the equation! Team Chemistry and communication will be important.

The most effective American scotch doubles team I've seen in 2014 was, by a country mile, Deuel/Dechaine in their long exhibition match against Reyes/Bustamante at the CSI events in Vegas in July, a convincing win in which they played well, communicated well and seemed to have fun. Shane and Earl were mediocre in the World Cup of Pool for sure. Of course, Dechaine's not on the team, and that's OK, but based on what I saw from Corey in Vegas, I think he might thrive in the scotch doubles matches in December.

Corey is a solid scotch doubles player and he's one to look out for.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As long as SVB and the two Justins were picked, after that, it didn't mater who the final two were IMO. I do give Corey a slight edge over the remaing 5 after pickibg the top 3 above. Race to 6 in 9 ball with alt break can have some funny outcomes. The Europe 5 would be tuff for any 5 Americans. Johnnyt