Team USA telling results at the US Open?

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So based on what we know about the Mosconi Cup and their rules for breaking, this years US Open has many of the same kind of rules. With that in mind I noticed that team USA are not doing as well as I would have liked to have seen. Just meaning that a few of the players lost their first round matches. Shuff, Schmidt, Dominguez and I think there is another one but cant remember.
My point being does this tell us anything and is the break a problem for some of these guys and will it be a problem come Mosconi Cup time?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can't be a results picker and base the strength of these guys on just the first round. However, they got a second shot at the golden ring, so we'll have to see how they all do.

I think Skyler Woodward must represent Team USA. Mark Wilson labeled him a "bar player" numerous times. I think he needs to rethink this.

Sky for Mosconi Cup. We need him. :cool:

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So based on what we know about the Mosconi Cup and their rules for breaking, this years US Open has many of the same kind of rules. With that in mind I noticed that team USA are not doing as well as I would have liked to have seen. Just meaning that a few of the players lost their first round matches. Shuff, Schmidt, Dominguez and I think there is another one but cant remember.
My point being does this tell us anything and is the break a problem for some of these guys and will it be a problem come Mosconi Cup time?

5 of them are on the winners side still. Hall and bergman have tough draws with Deschaine and Wang Can.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can't be a results picker and base the strength of these guys on just the first round. However, they got a second shot at the golden ring, so we'll have to see how they all do.

I think Skyler Woodward must represent Team USA. Mark Wilson labeled him a "bar player" numerous times. I think he needs to rethink this.

He has next year, but it won't happen this year.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

These guys have had since March since they were selected to practice this break. That's seven months. If they haven't learned it, no wonder Shane is practically begging for the Mosconi event to use one on the spot.

All that said, I think it's too early to judge this. Let's see what Shane, Corey, Sossei, Hall and Bergman do in winners bracket round 2.

... finally, to be fair, Shuff, though he lost, played at a high level yesterday.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has next year, but it won't happen this year.

That is a shame. Politics runs deep in the pool world, and this forum is used as a vehicle to promote people and their campaigns.

I'll be the first to jump on the Skylar Woodward campaign bandwagon to include him in this year's Team USA. To overlook him would be a travesty. He's one of the best we've got. He has demonstrated numerous times that he can beat world champions. His résumé looks a lot better than some of the others on that current Team USA list. I'm just saying. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

We well get him soon enough. Skylar is on his way to being a great player. Actually, he's quite similar in skills to Justin Hall, who was selected. Both of them play all the games well and are part of Team USA's future.

Hennessee is also primarily a bar table player, but he sure beat up on Oscar Dominguez pretty well yesterday. Agreed, this needs a rethink.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We well get him soon enough. Skylar is on his way to being a great player. Actually, he's quite similar in skills to Justin Hall, who was selected. Both of them play all the games well and are part of Team USA's future.

Hennessee is also primarily a bar table player, but he sure beat up on Oscar Dominguez pretty well yesterday. Agreed, this needs a rethink.

This "bar table" image being laid on Sky needs to cease and desist. He can play all games on all tables. He ain't no one-trick pony.

Sky for Team USA --THIS YEAR!

Skylar

This player is a true phenom. He has more potential than anybody that's come along in many many years. He just gets better every time he's out. I really don't think Wilson would know talent unless it....well you know. Go USA.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This player is a true phenom. He has more potential than anybody that's come along in many many years. He just gets better every time he's out. I really don't think Wilson would know talent unless it....well you know. Go USA.

Hear, hear. Sky for the 2014 Mosconi Cup. Sky for the 2014 Mosconi Cup!

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
That is a shame. Politics runs deep in the pool world, and this forum is used as a vehicle to promote people and their campaigns.

I'll be the first to jump on the Skylar Woodward campaign bandwagon to include him in this year's Team USA. To overlook him would be a travesty. He's one of the best we've got. He has demonstrated numerous times that he can beat world champions. His résumé looks a lot better than some of the others on that current Team USA list. I'm just saying. :)

How about mike dechaine not being on the team ?

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This "bar table" image being laid on Sky needs to cease and desist. He can play all games on all tables. He ain't no one-trick pony.

Sky for Team USA --THIS YEAR!

He handed Alex P. his ass<<<that speaks quite loudly:thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you lined up to play all 8 of everyone on the roster right now, do you think you would come out winner? 9 ball 9 on the spot?

I know what I think.

Mike would be favored to beat seven of them with nine on the spot racking.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about mike dechaine not being on the team ?

I'm on the Sky campaign trail right now, Chris. :grin-loving:

Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to beat champion players in a single bound. Look up at the Sky.

Sky Woodward for 2014 Team USA at the Mosconi Cup.

Attachments

• 1794649_671894646187663_1231095750_n.jpg
    1794649_671894646187663_1231095750_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 974

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He handed Alex P. his ass<<<that speaks quite loudly:thumbup:

Hear, hear. Sky is American gold. Pool has been in the doldrums long enough. We need this player on our Team USA at the Mosconi Cup. Time to stop talking and start chalking. Vote for Sky by letting your voices be heard! :cool:

The kid is beating Filipino world champions and Hall of Famers. What does that tell you? Photo courtesy of NYC Grind. of course. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5115_wm_900.jpg
    IMG_5115_wm_900.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hear, hear. Sky is American gold. Pool has been in the doldrums long enough. We need this player on our Team USA at the Mosconi Cup. Time to stop talking and start chalking. Vote for Sky by letting your voices be heard! :cool:

The kid is beating Filipino world champions and Hall of Famers. What does that tell you? Photo courtesy of NYC Grind. of course. :)

Wow, JAM, great pictures. These pictures from the 2014 Derby City Banks ring game depict one of the Derby's greatest ever moments. Bustamante was brilliant, Skylar was even better. Bustamante was noticeably impressed!

In bank pool, it seems likely that Skylar Woodward's name will, one day, be mentionable with Eddie Taylor and John Brumback.

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
That may have been the best banks finals ever! I think it was, impressive play by both Busty and Sky! Lot's of fun watching.