One very sick pool player

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I've a got a generic brand from CVS, same ingredients. It helps for sure. I've taken so much sh-t in the last few days I feel like a druggie. I've been looped pretty good all week, but starting to snap out it now. Don't worry, I won't get hooked on anything!

Jay... you made it out of the 60s alive and you'll get out of this as well. ;)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One very sick pool player............ I thought I was going to read about Efren or someone like him. Sorry to hear you're sick. Time heals. Feel better every day.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I haven't been able to play all week thanks to this virus I came down with. I've been taking Amoxicillin since Monday and sucking on one throat lozenge after another. My body feels okay now for the most part but my throat is really, really sore and when I cough it's very painful. It's that deep cough that erupts from inside your chest, not just a tickle in your throat. Even swallowing causes pain in my throat. My doctor said that since I have a virus I just have to wait it out. The Amoxicillin helps but nothing is helping with the sore throat.

Yesterday he prescribed a cough medication with codeine in it and that numbs my throat so I'm not nearly as uncomfortable. It also makes me sleepy which right now is not a bad thing. But when I wake up the pain in my throat has not subsided. It's like having Whooping Cough (and maybe I do). Since Monday I was coughing all day and night, until I got the codeine.

I'm hoping someone on here has had experience with something like this and can offer me some assistance. I tried to play pool yesterday but felt exhausted after less than half an hour. It's particularly frustrating because my pool game had been rounding into form, hitting the balls good and gaining confidence. I know I'm playing better than I was last month when I played in Vegas. I don't want to lose all that I've gained over the last two months.

I'm open to any ideas! I keep hoping I will wake up and my throat won't be hurting as bad, but so far there's been no real progress. I don't want to rely on codeine just to make it through the day. I feel a little drunk all the time and it's hard to play pool when you're feeling that way.

Thanks, Jay

Here's the cure for them there cold viruses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rOKw1FTX0

On a serious note, sore throats, if not strep, are almost always of viral etiology. If it's strep, the Amoxicillin will definitely kill it......like killing a piss ant with a sledge hammer. The old fashion penicillin that was invented in the 1930's is still recommended as first line treatment.

Since you didn't quickly improve on the antibiotics, your illness is very likely viral. Provided you have a normal immune system, you'll get better on your own.

We all have trillions of "good" bacteria in our body....gut, mouth, skin, etc. They are beneficial.....symbiotic relationship. However, the same good bacteria that lives in our gut can cause an infection if it somehow gets out of place, like in the respiratory or urinary systems.......this is the most common cause of urinary tract infections in females (fecal bacteria, usually e.coli, that gets into the urinary tract from improper wiping after urination).

If a person is taking antibiotics year after year for their common cold viruses, all they are doing is killing off lots of good bacteria which can be bad sometimes.....diarrhea, risk of getting c. diff (bad), etc. Also these various bacteria can get smart, mutate, and become resistant to the antibiotics.......a bacteria that is resistant to multiple antibiotics are the so called "super germs" (MRSA, etc). So if these now resistant "good" bacteria get in the wrong place they can be very hard to kill and lead to hospitalizations and even death.

Moral of the story, don't take antibiotics unless you really need them. People don't become resistant to antibiotics, the bacteria that live in us do.

As far as your "pneumonia" shot goes, it only protects against the most common bacteria that causes pneumonia (pneumococcal). There are many other bacteria that can cause pneumonia as well as other germs too......viruses, fungal, etc.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I haven't been able to play all week thanks to this virus I came down with. I've been taking Amoxicillin since Monday and sucking on one throat lozenge after another. My body feels okay now for the most part but my throat is really, really sore and when I cough it's very painful. It's that deep cough that erupts from inside your chest, not just a tickle in your throat. Even swallowing causes pain in my throat. My doctor said that since I have a virus I just have to wait it out. The Amoxicillin helps but nothing is helping with the sore throat.

Yesterday he prescribed a cough medication with codeine in it and that numbs my throat so I'm not nearly as uncomfortable. It also makes me sleepy which right now is not a bad thing. But when I wake up the pain in my throat has not subsided. It's like having Whooping Cough (and maybe I do). Since Monday I was coughing all day and night, until I got the codeine.

I'm hoping someone on here has had experience with something like this and can offer me some assistance. I tried to play pool yesterday but felt exhausted after less than half an hour. It's particularly frustrating because my pool game had been rounding into form, hitting the balls good and gaining confidence. I know I'm playing better than I was last month when I played in Vegas. I don't want to lose all that I've gained over the last two months.

I'm open to any ideas! I keep hoping I will wake up and my throat won't be hurting as bad, but so far there's been no real progress. I don't want to rely on codeine just to make it through the day. I feel a little drunk all the time and it's hard to play pool when you're feeling that way.

Thanks, Jay
I had it, too lost my voice as well. Vicks vapor rub with hot towel Jay, the doctors say it does not work - imagine that. Put it on before going to sleep, the next day you may cough up the flem (old Indian natural remedy. It really helped me and so there you have it. Hope you get to feeling alright.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had it, too lost my voice as well. Vicks vapor rub with hot towel Jay, the doctors say it does not work - imagine that. Put it on before going to sleep, the next day you may cough up the flem (old Indian natural remedy. It really helped me and so there you have it. Hope you get to feeling alright.

I got the Vicks, thanks Danny.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DTL said:
If a person is taking antibiotics year after year for their common cold viruses, all they are doing is killing off lots of good bacteria which can be bad sometimes.....diarrhea, risk of getting c. diff (bad), etc. Also these various bacteria can get smart, mutate, and become resistant to the antibiotics.......a bacteria that is resistant to multiple antibiotics are the so called "super germs" (MRSA, etc). So if these now resistant "good" bacteria get in the wrong place they can be very hard to kill and lead to hospitalizations and even death.

Moral of the story, don't take antibiotics unless you really need them.

I cannot stress this enough. We've been doing shit with antibiotics everywhere, also in cattle. And the bacteria are now at the tipping point of not being able to be fought off...

In all seriousness, probably Jay is also having a bacterial infection on top of his viral one.
I did gladly take antibiotics when my coughing got so painful and bad that I coughed up bloody clots.

But now it's really time to get the stuff out of you (taking the expectorans), rest (try to do that upright!), take a slow walk daily for fresh air and of course hot teas. Hot baths really really help, too - that has been medically proven.
The syrup is just good old herbs.

You can also try one full teaspoon of Tumeric (Curcuma) plus a bit of pepper to enable the reception in your body in a cup of hot milk.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric#section1

Give yourself another 7 days for recovery :thumbup:
Good health,
M

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Mix a little bourbon, honey and lemon. Warm it a tad. Not sure if it does a d^*n thing but it sure can't hurt!!

My favourite flu remedy, this really helps with the throat pain. I recommend adding some thinly sliced fresh ginger.

Better rest it out Jay, get well soon!

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
If not better soon, you should follow up with your provider (not sure if you were actually seen initially or if your MD, PA, or NP just called in the Amoxicillin). I'd recommend a throat culture and/or a CBC (complete blood count) to see where your white blood cell count is.......high count usually means bacterial process and normal/low suggest viral. And if your cough is worsening or you have abnormal breath sounds on auscultation, I'd get a chest Xray. It is possible that you have a bacterial infection and the specific bacteria is resistant to the Amoxicillin. If this is the case, you would need a different antibiotic.

What would probably help you the most is some steroids......one big dose intramuscularly or some pills tapered over several days. Note: if you have diabetes, this may not be possible. They can quickly cool down all the inflammation that has been caused by your illness.

The medicine business (Primary Care and Urgent Care) is all F'd up these days. Providers are under pressure to have their patients leave each visit with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Most all patients will get a Patient Satisfactory Survey in the mail soon after their visit.....look up NPS scores, Press Ganey. And since most visits from Oct - Apr are for respiratory illnesses, if patients don't get antibiotics for their 2 day history of runny nose and cough (95% viral cold), they are generally pissed. This is the main reason for overuse/misuse of antibiotics and is why we have so much antibiotic resistant super germs.

The medical provider knows if they don't give the patient what they want, they're gonna get a bad survey score. Usually the provider will get an overall combined quarterly score. And if this score is not where the Admin weenies want it to be, they're not happy. This is one of the main reasons I recently retired from 22 years of practice.

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Begone, mutant spore superbug !
:p

Seriously we do have viruses that have mutated because of
antibiotics used for everything.. in L.A. we've had the flu go around
several times, different strain each time.
Flu shots?... not so much.

Rest up, Jay.. you'll Be Back!

calcuttaman

Pool Player
Silver Member
I'm surprised more haven't suggested this. Only 1 has so far.

Gargling with warm salt water is going to make your throat feel much better then any throat lozenge.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay are you feeling better?
i hope so
if not go back to the doctor

ULTIMATE-BILL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Homemade chicken soup. Extra extra onions. Inhale soup steam through mouth and nose. Several large cups a day. Sip and drink all cups of soup. Remember extra extra onion.
Good luck Bill.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Osha root

Osha is a powerful root that makes you cough and clears your sinus and chest. You chew it and spit it out. Grows mainly in the southwest, but look for it in any herb shop. Be well and breathe

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thanks, Jay

That's been going around for a while now Jay, i had my doctor increase the strength of my embalming fluid so i don't feel so dead, sore, and still all over from coughing so hard the day before...LOL

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's been one week now and I'm feeling a lot better. No more sore throat, but I can still feel the congestion in my chest and if I talk too much I start to cough again. Just need to take it easy and not push myself. I'm drinking hot tea and taking some Mucinex to help me clear out my chest. Another few days and I should be good as new. :wink:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That's good, Jay. We all need you here to keep us on the straight and narrow. :smile: