Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page when is it time to accept you just dont have it
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
Hi bbb. I identify with you 100%. Me? I'll never be an A player and accept it. There are days I'd like to toss my cues and kiss pool goodbye. But for what? It's too much fun.
Maybe when you retire someday you can devote more time to practice and bump your level up. How I see you.... you contribute a lot to pool as an equipment buyer. You employ instructors, Your constructive input on pool forums. You introduce players to each other. You support poolrooms. You're the heart and soul of pool. It's people like you keeps pool alive. Without you there is no pool. You're an A player/person in my book. So we have bad days...but the good ones are a beautiful thing. Enjoy and do the best you can. Have fun and enjoy.
goldcrown
thanks for the kind words and encouragement/

Old
  (#32)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Your more experienced peers will know within a year of a new player in the room picking up a cue, who got bit by the pool bug, if that player will ever make A level.

If you put in a 3 or 4 solid years of gambling and playing your brains out at some phase of your life, and did not make A level, you simply don't possess the eye-hand coordination to obtain it.
not sure i agree with the time frame
but at some point i agree.....unfortunately..............

Old
  (#33)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

05-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknight411 View Post
I'm going through my second pool phase in life, the first one being over two decades ago in my early twenties. It didn't take long for muscle memory to kick in. My stroke improved dramatically in a short time and I found it amusing to see other players, including the league director, bewildered by my improvement (in all fairness, I told them I use to play).

However, I'm also a realist and wise enough to know that I will eventually hit a few plateaus in my journey. Along with long hours of drills and quality practice, I also train my mind to handle the emotional aspects of the game. All the drills in the world won't help, if I lack the confidence and readiness to execute what I learn.

The link posted earlier to a copy of The Little Book of Talent is a gem (thanks for that post)! As it relates to pool, I've found The Pleasures of Small Motions to be a good book. The author did a good job at connecting a few concepts of psychology with pool, but I found some of his recommendations on the game itself lacking.

Reading stories of other athletes overcoming their plateaus can be inspirational and give you that catalyst needed to breakthrough your own plateau.

I wish I knew Efren Reyes' secret to a healthy and long pool life.
thanks for the reply
i think we all would like to be efren.....

Old
  (#34)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-16-2017, 11:57 AM

I think the big difference in the level you play is focus. Most people do not know how to concentrate and get to the level of concentration and focus the pros play at. We all have the ability to make shots one at a time. Look at pro golfers, when I used to play alot I could hit streaks where I'd play 7 or 8 holes and then realize I had just played them even par, or even 1 or 2 under, then get complacent and start taking shots for granted and blow out a 78 or 80. The difference in playing well is getting in the zone and staying there, or in pool, what we call in stroke.

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#35)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

05-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post
I think the big difference in the level you play is focus. Most people do not know how to concentrate and get to the level of concentration and focus the pros play at. We all have the ability to make shots one at a time. Look at pro golfers, when I used to play alot I could hit streaks where I'd play 7 or 8 holes and then realize I had just played them even par, or even 1 or 2 under, then get complacent and start taking shots for granted and blow out a 78 or 80. The difference in playing well is getting in the zone and staying there, or in pool, what we call in stroke.
thanks for the reply

Old
  (#36)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
05-18-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket John View Post
Just a few more comments and suggestions Larry and then I'll be out of the Instructor Forum. I'm not an instructor and I feel uncomfortable posting here.

1. Before practice go to YouTube and spend 15min. or so watching the pro's play. I like watching Jason Shaw and SVB play mostly. Now when I watch these guys play I study their fundamentals. ( watching their feet, how they lead their body into the shot and how they stroke the cue ball (are they hitting the QB or pushing the cue thru the QB)

2. You said you play one pocket. Before going to your next match go to YouTube and watch Alex P. (spelling) or Eferen for an hour or so. Watching this will get your mind where it should be for your upcoming match.

3. You may want to add more structure to your practice routine. Back in '93 I bought Bert Kinister's VHS tape (yes VHS) 60 Minute Workout for 9 Ball and still, to this day, practice the shots daily. You will see the value of these shots and positioning of the QB when you play out in the field.

Recommended reading/viewing for One Pocket:
Scott Frost's DVD's
Tom Wirth's "A Game of Controlled Aggression"
Winning One Pocket
Shots, Moves, & Strategies
Tor Lowery's Video on Kicking
I may have missed few but these are the ones that come to mind.

Last comments. Whatever aiming system you use, just remember to let your eyes lead your body onto the shot line, not visa-versa
. Watch the pro's.
The game is all about you and your desire to be the best that you can. Never accept that you can't be an "A" player or even better. You can, you just have to put in the table time. Hard work pays off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDCLYNzZ8LQ

Your not quitting, your hooked and you know it.

Have fun out there.

John
tap tap tap! Amen bro :-)

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#37)
Wald0
AzB Bronze Member
Wald0 is on a distinguished road

05-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Just some thoughts...

I grew up playing tennis first before pool, I had a coach from China that made it to the top 100 on the tour. She told me stories about the training back in her home country that really hit home and I will remember forever.

They were chosen to be tennis players and had to put an obscene amount of practice hours on the court. She told me they often hoped it rained just so they didn't have to play, thats how tired they got.

I believe you have to put in the hard hours. Doesn't matter if you feel tired or don't want to play today "oh I played so much yesterday im tired"

NO, get your a** back on the table and put the hours in until you're satisfied with improving on something that same session! Feel burned out? Doesnt matter, you keep going and play tired until broken but improved

Old
  (#38)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald0 View Post
Just some thoughts...

I grew up playing tennis first before pool, I had a coach from China that made it to the top 100 on the tour. She told me stories about the training back in her home country that really hit home and I will remember forever.

They were chosen to be tennis players and had to put an obscene amount of practice hours on the court. She told me they often hoped it rained just so they didn't have to play, thats how tired they got.

I believe you have to put in the hard hours. Doesn't matter if you feel tired or don't want to play today "oh I played so much yesterday im tired"

NO, get your a** back on the table and put the hours in until you're satisfied with improving on something that same session! Feel burned out? Doesnt matter, you keep going and play tired until broken but improved
Even if the player doesn't want to become a professional, nothing beats a good marathon session because it breaks your resistance down to where you are too tired to try to control everything in your game. That's when good things can start to happen. Fatigue isn't always a bad thing --- especially with players who tend to be too controlling or are wound too tightly.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#39)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
thanks for the reply
A question I've had in the back of my mind every since you put up this thread Larry, is just what does "just don't have it" mean to you. At our age do we really want to play at pro level? You know if we could, we would be expected to right? I'd likely be considered a C player nowadays because I just can't run balls in rotation games the way I used to, but I'm good with that. I enjoy the strategy of one pocket and I have knowledge and experience that the young guns don't have and so I can play at a level I enjoy. I mean sure, I'm still trying to learn and get better, but I can play and enjoy playing, and I expect you can also.

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#40)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

05-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Last edited by bbb; 05-21-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: did not think it was neccessary to keep it up there

Old
  (#41)
Hollismason
AzB Silver Member
Hollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond reputeHollismason has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2017, 08:08 PM

I think you just need some positive affirmation.

Old
  (#42)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

05-20-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollismason View Post
....thanks

Old
  (#43)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-21-2017, 08:48 AM

That's something that I taught you years ago, Larry. Focus on positive reinforcement (even when you don't hit it "perfect") to help offset set negative emotions...which are bound to happen when we play. If there's never any positive self-affirmation, then only negative energy accumulates...and at some point will cause a "meltdown" of some kind. Seems like this is a powerful issue (received from your father) in your search for a more even performance.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollismason View Post

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#44)
bbb
AzB Gold Member

05-21-2017, 05:13 PM

scott thanks for the reply

Last edited by bbb; 05-22-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Fellow struggler not a pro
Old
  (#45)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

Fellow struggler not a pro - 05-27-2017, 07:39 AM

I practice significantly more than you and I still find improvement very slow. Every person has their individual strengths and weaknesses. Practicing things you are naturally good at you improve faster than things that don't come easy. Math, no problem, music or foreign languages no way, physical things I am a 70%er compared to the naturals. So I have to work WAY harder than some and not so hard as others.

Scott Lee teaches there are no easy shots and no hard shots, just shots. He is right. Missing a shot we believe to be easy is often just a matter of a lack of focus because we take the shot for granted. You and I both know how to make an "easy" shot but we both still miss them. I have a playing partner who does not shoot as well as me but can focus much better. He almost never misses shots within his range. He is able to take every shot totally seriously like the world depends on it. I simply can not do that.

There is so much to it, physical co-ordination, mental attitude, ability to focus, natural talent and desire. If you enjoy the game you will get better. If you only enjoy it when you win you will either be frustrated all the time or quit.

At a state finals this season I had TWO of my team quit and go home. One never played a match. Both players only enjoy playing when they win and had such high expectations they could not even compete after a bad beat. We were in a position to win and with two forfeits still finished 6th. For my own sake I joined a team of lower skilled, less intense, players this season.

I hope you can start really playing to enjoy the game. If so I believe you will improve faster than you expect. My best to you either way.

Last edited by skipbales; 05-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: