Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page From cuemaking to full fledge wood working
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-09-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
I do lije HHG a lot and advicate it whenever possible, but for some projects it's all but impractical. And I'm not talking about that junk in the squeeze bottle. If tge area you're gluing is not warmed, as your parts, the HHG will skin over, and you'll have to wipe it all off and start over again. I can't imagine doing a carcass for a bureau, let alone a smaller assembly.

Back in the old days at the Martin guitar factory, they actually had a "hot room" for glue ups, and it was literalky hot.

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#17)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member
Chris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2017, 12:48 PM

I realized that I cannot afford the SawStop table saw - or any of the cabinet saws for that matter so I decided to go for a portable saw - Dewalt DWE7491RS. I was looking for a decent saw that can use dado blades . It is also smaller than a cabinet saw which is more important to me because I don't have space in my 2 car garage workshop - half of which is occupied by a 9 foot table.

I also bought a small benchtop jointer, a Dewalt thickness planer and a Makita track saw. I just finished setting up my jointer and it was awesome to finally see a squared up 2x4 It's a pain to build a pretty workbench with the regular 2x4 at home depot.

I feel like a kid in a candy store - so excited with all these new tools... but I should really get back to cuemaking... I haven't turned wood in about a month now. I suppose it's better for the wood anyway.

I can't wait to organize my garage and build workbenches with drawers and cabinets to store my smaller tools. The possibilities are endless!

I love my wife for allowing me to purchase all this stuff... Happy Mother's day!

Old
  (#18)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2017, 01:15 PM

You'll need a saw mill soon. Don't ask me how I know

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Old
  (#19)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member
Chris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond reputeChris Abaya Cues has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbilder View Post
You'll need a saw mill soon. Don't ask me how I know
Dear God... I hope not! I just need to make sure I don't watch milling videos on youtube... darn youtube.

Old
  (#20)
louieatienza
AzB Silver Member
louieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond reputelouieatienza has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Abaya Cues View Post
I realized that I cannot afford the SawStop table saw - or any of the cabinet saws for that matter so I decided to go for a portable saw - Dewalt DWE7491RS. I was looking for a decent saw that can use dado blades . It is also smaller than a cabinet saw which is more important to me because I don't have space in my 2 car garage workshop - half of which is occupied by a 9 foot table.

I also bought a small benchtop jointer, a Dewalt thickness planer and a Makita track saw. I just finished setting up my jointer and it was awesome to finally see a squared up 2x4 It's a pain to build a pretty workbench with the regular 2x4 at home depot.

I feel like a kid in a candy store - so excited with all these new tools... but I should really get back to cuemaking... I haven't turned wood in about a month now. I suppose it's better for the wood anyway.

I can't wait to organize my garage and build workbenches with drawers and cabinets to store my smaller tools. The possibilities are endless!

I love my wife for allowing me to purchase all this stuff... Happy Mother's day!
I think one of your first projects should be a pair of saw horses; they come in handy as infeed/outfeed supports when cutting plywood and other long boards.

Some tips for your table saw...

Make a zero clearance insert. I use a high-density fiberboard such as Masonite (preferably smooth both sides) in 1/4". It really helps with keeping clean cuts on the top and bottom. Also, it helps when cutting thin stock, as it won't fall into or get stuck on the rather large slot that comes with the stock insert.

If you need super-fine wood cuts, try Freud's Diablo 7-1/4" circular saw blades in 40 and 60 teeth. They have an .063" kerf, so they never bind. They also leave an incredibly smooth surface. I actually use these to cut veneers for guitar bindings and purflings, even up to .035" thickness, with a contractor's saw... on the fence side!

Get to know the different blade types - triple chip grind, tri grind, alternate top bevel, high angle alternate top bevel, flat grind... each one has a material and purpose. When you start lusting over saw blades from Forrest, Leitz, Amana, Inifnity... you've gone off the deep end... I've never tried the variable pitch stuff yet, but they work great in endmills....

Back in the day they used copper plugs to suppress noise and vibration in blades. Now they have laser cut slots shaped to mitigate noise and relieve stress in the plate. The multi-purpose blades with the large slots and open holes are a lot noisier, and will vibrate more, which you'll see in the cut edge.

Make sure your dado set has a set of shims too. Most all plywood goods come undersized. Most composite stuff usually are pretty close. Baltic birch comes in metric. This way you'll always have tight joints when doing case work, drawer bottoms, etc...

Old
  (#21)
dafunkdawg
AzB Silver Member
dafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond reputedafunkdawg has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2017, 10:09 PM

I have been a woodworker for years and here is my top 3
-After many table saw blades, the Forrest ww2 is worth every penny.
-The festool tracksaw and and a couple of guide rails ar more awesome that you could ever imagine unless you have used one for any period of time. I hardly ever use my tablesaw other than to rip hardwood and if you have the vacuum you can rip plywood in your living room with almost no evidence
-The Mirka sander or festool with the mirka abranet pad and abrasive will make your sanding experience at least 4 billion times better

Last edited by dafunkdawg; 05-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Old
  (#22)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member

05-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I think one of your first projects should be a pair of saw horses; they come in handy as infeed/outfeed supports when cutting plywood and other long boards.

Some tips for your table saw...

Make a zero clearance insert. I use a high-density fiberboard such as Masonite (preferably smooth both sides) in 1/4". It really helps with keeping clean cuts on the top and bottom. Also, it helps when cutting thin stock, as it won't fall into or get stuck on the rather large slot that comes with the stock insert.

If you need super-fine wood cuts, try Freud's Diablo 7-1/4" circular saw blades in 40 and 60 teeth. They have an .063" kerf, so they never bind. They also leave an incredibly smooth surface. I actually use these to cut veneers for guitar bindings and purflings, even up to .035" thickness, with a contractor's saw... on the fence side!

Get to know the different blade types - triple chip grind, tri grind, alternate top bevel, high angle alternate top bevel, flat grind... each one has a material and purpose. When you start lusting over saw blades from Forrest, Leitz, Amana, Inifnity... you've gone off the deep end... I've never tried the variable pitch stuff yet, but they work great in endmills....

Back in the day they used copper plugs to suppress noise and vibration in blades. Now they have laser cut slots shaped to mitigate noise and relieve stress in the plate. The multi-purpose blades with the large slots and open holes are a lot noisier, and will vibrate more, which you'll see in the cut edge.

Make sure your dado set has a set of shims too. Most all plywood goods come undersized. Most composite stuff usually are pretty close. Baltic birch comes in metric. This way you'll always have tight joints when doing case work, drawer bottoms, etc...
Thanks for the tip... very helpful. I will difinitely get a diablo blade.

My next project is a small workbench that can double as an outfeed table. I plan to put my planer underneath with the sides covered with soundproofing to minimize the noise. Hopefully it helps. I even plan on wrapping the table saw sides and bottom with soundproofing material to lessen the noise also.

Last edited by Chris Abaya Cues; 05-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Old
  (#23)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member

05-12-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkdawg View Post
I have been a woodworker for years and here is my top 3
-After many table saw blades, the Forrest ww2 is worth every penny.
-The festool tracksaw and and a couple of guide rails ar more awesome that you could ever imagine unless you have used one for any period of time. I hardly ever use my tablesaw other than to rip hardwood and if you have the vacuum you can rip plywood in your living room with almost no evidence
-The Mirka sander or festool with the mirka abranet pad and abrasive will make your sanding experience at least 4 billion times better
One of the reasons I purchased a tracksaw was because they have great dust collection. I cannot afford a Festool yet but it's the brand that I want... maybe in the future when I am a famous and successful cuemaker.

I've read that track saws are widely used in Europe. I saw a video of this English woodworker who uses a festool tracksaw to make precise and accurate cuts... pretty awesone setup.

Old
  (#24)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2017, 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Abaya Cues;5878954]OI cannot afford a Festool yet but it's the brand that I want... maybe in the future when I am a famous and successful cuemaker. /QUOTE]

In that order. Get your woodworking tools first.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Old
  (#25)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2017, 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=qbilder;5879013]
Quote:
OI cannot afford a Festool yet but it's the brand that I want... maybe in the future when I am a famous and successful cuemaker. /QUOTE]

In that order. Get your woodworking tools first.
you mean make them first right?

Old
  (#26)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member

Talking 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM

I can't make cues... to busy building benches with drawers and other stuff.

Old
  (#27)
greyghost
exile

05-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I can't make cues... to busy building benches with drawers and other stuff.

Right....I needed more wood space and place to put the garden stuff too so I shedded it . I even mitered my windows I'm making instead of stacking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#28)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Cool! Where I live, the 2 car garage is bigger than the backyard... so no place to put a shed.

Old
  (#29)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I have never wanted to dedicate enough space to my table saw to cut large sheets of plywood on it with big in and out tables since I'm not a cabinet maker..

I build something like this out of scraps years ago and have never looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSz7kPwFY0

JC

John Chaplin
Coos Cues

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble.
It's what you know that just ain't so.

Old
  (#30)
Chris Abaya Cues
AzB Silver Member

05-20-2017, 09:58 AM

I just tried my makita track saw yesterday and it did a very smooth crosscut on cheap plywood and the dust collection is near perfect... circular saw just can't compare to this awesome tool... it is my new favorite tool!

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: