How is a Male Unilock Joint Pin Secured?

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Schmelke R1C that has a unilock joint. The male half of the joint (the part that is secured to the butt) has become loose. That is, when the joint is "tight," the butt can still be rotated.

Please let me know how this (male) joint is typically secured. If glue is used, what type is it and how is it generally applied.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

John

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
cue

Why dont you call Schmelke from what I understand they stand behind there products.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jkan - I thought I'd try to repair the cue myself. If it's a complex procedure, then I'll ship the cue to Schmelke in a New York Minute.

John

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Two ways to draft this reply:

Cost of a lathe vs shipping to Schmelke...............hmmm???

or

When did Schmelke start using a Uni-QR pin? Answer: they don't.

The Schmelke Royal series of cues use a 3/8x16 QR pin which is not a Uni-QR.
Seriously, you want to talk to Schmelke, this is not DIY.

KJ

Last edited:

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ Cues - Thanks for the info.

If you go to Billiard Warehouse and look at Schmelke cues, you'll see that model R1C has a unilock joint option.

Regards,

John

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin

Two ways to draft this reply:

Cost of a lathe vs shipping to Schmelke...............hmmm???

or

The Schmelke Royal series of cues use a 3/8x16 QR pin which is not a Uni-QR.
Seriously, you want to talk to Schmelke, this is not DIY.

KJ

Sorry KJ but you are wrong. I live 93 miles away and I've seen it first hand, as I stop in about 4-6 times a year. I have one of their cues in my shop now. They will use any pin you want in their cues.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
KJ Cues - Thanks for the info.

If you go to Billiard Warehouse and look at Schmelke cues, you'll see that model R1C has a unilock joint option.

Regards,

John

Thank you for the link to Billiard Warehouse. Though I didn't find the R1C, I did click on a couple of 'drop-downs'
and see where they offer Uni-loc as an option.
It could be an option for B.Warehouse, I didn't see any mention of it on Schmelke's site; even did a search.
Schmelke lists several pins for that series including 5/16x18 and 3/8x11, no mention of Uni.
I won't argue that Schmelke wouldn't do one on request. Schmelke is very accommodating.
So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. The upside is that I made someone's day. Lol

KJ

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. KJ Cues,
Hi! I, too, have visited Schmelke's site and agree about not being able to find all of the options offered by Billiard Warehouse.
Must be a special deal between Schmelke and B-W (for a marketing advantage?).
Regards,
John

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin

Go to their website and click on one of their 400.00 cues there is a drop down menu for the joint the up charge for the uniloc pin is 50.00 Hope this helps

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Mr. KJ Cues,
Hi! I, too, have visited Schmelke's site and agree about not being able to find all of the options offered by Billiard Warehouse.
Must be a special deal between Schmelke and B-W (for a marketing advantage?).
Regards,
John

Given your additional info it may be safe to assume that you purchased the cue from B/W.
It may also be safe to assume that B/W installed the Uni jnt at your request.
You've stated that you'd like to make this repair yourself. I'm going to suggest that you don't.
The pin needs to be re-installed with perfect alignment and I don't mean by eye.
This procedure is best done on a lathe when an indicator can be used.
Once the pin is re-installed the jnt face can be confirmed for 'square'.

The other reason that you shouldn't attempt this yourself is because it should be under B/W's warranty.
(Workmanship and mtrls).
If they installed the pin it's there job to install it in a manner that it stays put.
That pin should have not come loose. This is the first time I've EVER heard of a Uni-QR pin loosening.
Call B/W. The turn-around should be quick and they may be very happy to correct this for you.

HTHs, KJ

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Given your additional info it may be safe to assume that you purchased the cue from B/W.
It may also be safe to assume that B/W installed the Uni jnt at your request.
You've stated that you'd like to make this repair yourself. I'm going to suggest that you don't.
The pin needs to be re-installed with perfect alignment and I don't mean by eye.
This procedure is best done on a lathe when an indicator can be used.
Once the pin is re-installed the jnt face can be confirmed for 'square'.

The other reason that you shouldn't attempt this yourself is because it should be under B/W's warranty.
(Workmanship and mtrls).
If they installed the pin it's there job to install it in a manner that it stays put.
That pin should have not come loose. This is the first time I've EVER heard of a Uni-QR pin loosening.
Call B/W. The turn-around should be quick and they may be very happy to correct this for you.

HTHs, KJ

He is correct, 100%

It will be free for them to repair and I bet they have it back to you in the same New York Minute.

Without the tools to do his correctly, you will damage your cue and then have to pay to fix it.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send it back for repair. The wood is stripped out and was probably done when putting the pin in originally and they did not catch it. The old pin must be removed and the hole plugged and then tapped for the pin again.

It's also a common problem for the insert in the shaft to do the same since they are threaded 7/16 x 20 which is too fine and shallow for wood and the glue alone will not hold. If you are in a habit of cranking down to make sure it is tight it will not last long either.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I thought I'd try to repair the cue myself. If it's a complex procedure

It's glue. and not particularly a complex fix. However, you still have to clean out the dried glue from the threads in the butt.

I bought a few Schmelke quick release pins to use on jump cues. I then went to our local machine shop supply and bought the tap for them. That is of course, if we are talking about the same pin.

Only because Schmelke's QR pin and Uni Loc are totally a different aminal.

And of course as Brick mentioned. Providing that the threads are not stripped. Then, you have to follow the procedure of what he said.

I have had pins come loose, (Bullet pins mainly), and all that was needed was to remove, run a tap and glue back in.

Last edited:

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the helpful information.

I decided to send my cue to (on AZB) for repair. Dan does great work and has always fixed my "problems."

Here is the truth. I got the Schmelke cue from Billiard Warehouse and, at 16.5 oz, if felt great. However, like all cues with a Unilock joint, you have to screw it together then crank on it a bit or else the joint will come loose during regular play.

Due to arthritis and trigger finger problems, I can't screw the joint tight enough without it coming loose during play. I thought about getting one of those rubber jar openers, but that was too low tech.

I ended up getting a flat rubber washer with a 1/2" ID that fit between the halves of the joint just right. Now, I was able to tighten the joint and still have it "loose" enough that I could unscrew it with my bare hands.

After using the cue with the rubber washer a few times the pin side of the joint started to fail as I described above.

So, it wasn't a factory quality issue, it was just my own dumb attempt at fixing a problem. Now, I learned my lesson: have have a nice pair of serrated jaw channel lock pliers in my cue case that I use to tighten and loosen the joint (no, not really!).

Oh! For those that haven's seen one, the Schmelke Unilock joint is fully compatible with a Predator joint. In my opinion, a Predator cue hits like a cheap version of a Diveney (I wish I had one) cue.

Regards,

John

Last edited:

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For clarification: I can tighten the joint, no problem. It's the unscrewing of the joint that causes me pain.

Thanks,

John

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

KJ

I have a Schmelke made a few years ago with a UniLoc quick release, I use a 314 or Revo shaft on the butt.

As for a DIY repair. DON'T...unless you have the tools and experience.

Last edited: