Drills for staying on correct side of next object ball

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm a decent shot-maker, which is why I can run 8 and 9 ball racks. But I've recently started playing 14.1, and while I have no trouble with the first 12 balls in an open rack, I usually have trouble with the last key balls/break balls. I realize this is because I have trouble either staying on the correct side of my next object ball (giving myself proper angles to the object ball after that, etc) or remembering to do so. What are some good drills for controlling the cue ball to land on the proper side of an object ball?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
try this drill for 14.1
take 6 balls and rack them
take the head ball and place it wherever you want to use as your 1st brake ball
now with ball in hand plan your pattern to your next break ball and re rack 5 balls
see how many racks of 5 balls you can run
i know this isnot a specific drill for what you want but it will teach you to be mindfull of your position

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More pool?

Jist thrlw 3 or 4 balls out and run em with the right angles?

So I'm a decent shot-maker, which is why I can run 8 and 9 ball racks. But I've recently started playing 14.1, and while I have no trouble with the first 12 balls in an open rack, I usually have trouble with the last key balls/break balls. I realize this is because I have trouble either staying on the correct side of my next object ball (giving myself proper angles to the object ball after that, etc) or remembering to do so. What are some good drills for controlling the cue ball to land on the proper side of an object ball?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, in order to run out 8 ball and 9 ball, one needs only to be a shot maker :/
Funny enough, I was always told to play rotation games, such as 9 ball, for practice on the correct path of position, having the correct angle or correct side, and pattern play or looking ahead 3+ balls... anywho, 14.1 is one of my favorites, agreed with the other guys, play as much as you can.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're a good 9-ball player then you are already used to staying on the correct side of the object ball, but as you know the target zones for 9-ball can be quite large, especially for the final few balls. 14.1 and 8-ball (end of rack) demand positional play to much smaller zones with less margin for error.

Maybe this? http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/drills.html#target

Also if you watch pros, they do a really good job of setting up key balls, along with key balls to get to those key balls. If you have a good break ball and a penultimate ball set up in front of the side pocket, the real precision shot you need might be to set up a shot to the third-to-last ball on the table.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
This is a ball speed issue. If your making the ball and getting on the wrong side you either ran too far or too short.

My second favorite drill.

Set up a fairly short straight in shot. Make the shot then follow a diamond. Same shot only stop shot it. Same shot, draw one diamond. Always trying to follow and draw perfectly straight and stop shot cb, should not move left or right. Then do it progressively w longer shots. Get all that down? Then follow a diamond and a half or two, draw the same.

I'm always trying to see two leaves ahead.

Last edited:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Darren Appleby has a bunch of them. He has free ones on his website and youtube channel. I haven't checked the free ones yet but I have his DVDs and they have a bunch of good ones. He talks about staying on the right side of the ball a lot.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More experience will help like others have said, using fewer balls like someone else mentioned is also good, fine tuning your "feel" will either come with time and a lot of experience or serious practice. About the topic I like (and use to show newer player) throwing the balls out well not really throwing more like spreading the balls wide open and running them with the same 14.1 rules but with no chalk and i mean none, see if you don't wipe the tip clean of chalk you can still get just a bit of english which is like cheating a bit. Enough of this will force you to use center ball and allow you to see the more natural path of the CB and will also force you to not just be on the right side of the ball but in that small window that is more common in 14.1 vs say 9 ball like another person also mentioned.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To a good first order this (getting on the right side) is a feel issue.
But, if you know the line of the CB as it comes to rest, sometimes a bit of draw leaves the CB on the near side longer, and sometimes a bit of follow rolls the CB to the far side.
If a rail is involved it is not draw/follow but inside/outside that makes the difference.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're a good 9-ball player. . . the target zones for 9-ball can be quite large, especially for the final few balls.

14.1 . . . demand positional play to much smaller zones with less margin for error.

I agree with this, the end patterns for 9-ball and 8-ball are easier and allows for the final ball to be pocketed anywhere, without concern for where the CB ends up (as long as no scratch).

In 14.1 the final shot requires much more planning leading to a decent break shot, with the CB going into the rack (of course).

Play 14.1 with just a few balls instead of all 15...skip the easier part (that is not a concern for you) and just practice end patterns......

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
try this drill for 14.1
take 6 balls and rack them
take the head ball and place it wherever you want to use as your 1st brake ball
now with ball in hand plan your pattern to your next break ball and re rack 5 balls
see how many racks of 5 balls you can run
i know this isnot a specific drill for what you want but it will teach you to be mindfull of your position

I agree with this, the end patterns for 9-ball and 8-ball are easier and allows for the final ball to be pocketed anywhere, without concern for where the CB ends up (as long as no scratch).

In 14.1 the final shot requires much more planning leading to a decent break shot, with the CB going into the rack (of course).

Play 14.1 with just a few balls instead of all 15...skip the easier part (that is not a concern for you) and just practice end patterns......

my drill posted

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the drill you need to practice is in your head ... I mean if you always think 3 shots ahead it should be obvious what side of the ball you want to be on.

Isn't this a mental focus thing rather than a shooting skill thing?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A. Forget about playing 9 ball.

B. Forget about getting on the 'right side' of the OB.

Sure, right side of the OB is good enough for 9 ball if you are a good
shotmaker, but you need more precision for that 14.1 break ball.

Use whatever drills you like already but add.

1. learn to get 'on the line' position(if you don't know what that means, find out)

2. Practice getting to an exact spot, within an inch or so of perfect.

The good news is you are already half way there - IMHO - if you can run out
a rack of 8 ball. It is somewhat a specialized version of 14.1.

Not my original idea, learned it from George Fels' great book.

Dale

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleby has a bunch of them. He has free ones on his website and youtube channel. I haven't checked the free ones yet but I have his DVDs and they have a bunch of good ones. He talks about staying on the right side of the ball a lot.

Appleby? Who is that?

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
The drill of gambling & handing over $ because you didn't hold a proper line. This drill either gets you to do so or go broke.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Practice your pinpoint position, that will make you think about what side you want to be on and map out your runs to a higher degree. Trying to pinpoint your position will make your position play more accurate and if you pair it with hitting an exact part of the pocket it should make your practice sessions a lot more effective.

Neil

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all, a lot of useful tips here and I'll definitely try some tomorrow when I get on the yable

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums