Jay Helfert says 'Every other day to keep your speed up'...

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I was watching a 2016 USBTC match the other day. While enjoying the match as well as Jay Helfert and Bobby Leblanc's excellent commentary, Jay mentions hitting the balls at least every other day is sufficient to keep your pool playing speed (aka skill level) up. I thought that sounds pretty good. I always told myself, "I've got to hit balls every single day to keep my speed up", which can be a pain. As well as pretty much unobtainable for me, as real-life has a nasty habit of creeping in and taking up my precious pool playing time.

So my query for you guys is, how much play do you need every other day to keep your present speed up?

Just for clarification, I'm not saying improving your play. Just sustaining your current speed. Also, I would assume the better the player the less required practice.

I'm sure there will be lots of "Play as much as you can!". Yes, I know that. I'm posting this question for the sake of argument and to see what others think. I personally make myself practice for an hour when I can get some play in.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need a certain numbers of hours per week to maintain your game......doesnt really matter how many days you spread it over....could be 1 or 7.

and....higher level = more hours to maintain it...

<-----------people tell me 5 minutes per week is enough to maintain my banger status :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need a certain numbers of hours per week to maintain your game......doesnt really matter how many days you spread it over....could be 1 or 7.

I cant agree with the 1 day a week, to stay in stroke...aven if it is a long session.

I play about 2 hr a week and feel i maintain about 70-80% speed.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I knew the answer to that. This year has definitely been my best year so far but it's also been the year that I have practiced the least...and yet I'm winning tournaments or placing in the top 3.

I don't know what to think.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
higher level = more hours to maintain it...

In my mind a better player has the stroke and knowledge of pattern play, so that player would need fewer hours to stay frosty.

Just my way of thinking.

But that has been my personally experience .

In the end, everyone is different.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was watching a 2016 USBTC match the other day. While enjoying the match as well as Jay Helfert and Bobby Leblanc's excellent commentary, Jay mentions hitting the balls at least every other day is sufficient to keep your pool playing speed (aka skill level) up. I thought that sounds pretty good. I always told myself, "I've got to hit balls every single day to keep my speed up", which can be a pain. As well as pretty much unobtainable for me, as real-life has a nasty habit of creeping in and taking up my precious pool playing time.

So my query for you guys is, how much play do you need every other day to keep your present speed up?

Just for clarification, I'm not saying improving your play. Just sustaining your current speed. Also, I would assume the better the player the less required practice.

I'm sure there will be lots of "Play as much as you can!". Yes, I know that. I'm posting this question for the sake of argument and to see what others think. I personally make myself practice for an hour when I can get some play in.
If you already know how to aim, pocket balls, stand, stroke, play position....and all of the above, and if you practice a 100 hours a week....and still miss shots that you should have made, then where is the flaw in your game that a few hours a week of practice won't help over come? The practice of..... concentration and the ability to stay focused, THAT is what you practice!

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Keeping your stroke "mostly" in tuned, I'd say at least twice a week with a good two hours each session. Here's the tricky part, keeping the mental acuity for the discipline. Genius is rare, many had to train the brain just as much as the body, keeping the mind sharp is just as important. I still haven't figured out how many beers a week that takes... &#55357;&#56860;

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Half hour each day...
...is better than 7 hours once per week. :thumbup:
http://wpbsacoach.com

I agree with this....even a few shots here and there regularly are good.
Piano players say you got to hit the keys every day...one long session after not
playing doesn't catch you up.
Walter Lindrum traveled with a set of english billiard,,,,if he couldn't find a table, he would
practice nursery cannons on whatever was available...train seat, kitchen counter, etc.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9ft Diamond table in my house so practicing is no trouble.
But honestly, I probably play a little(15/20 minutes) at least every day or every other day.
It's enough to keep my stroke fluid and feeling confident.
If I have a big match or tournament coming up, I'll play 45 minutes or an hour every day for a couple weeks.
This gives the feeling like I can't miss any open shot. Position play becomes automatic on most shots.

So, I would tend to agree with Jay. Every other day would be enough to keep your speed up.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Half hour each day...
...is better than 7 hours once per week. :thumbup:
http://wpbsacoach.com
I agree with this. I wish I could recall which book that I read it in (may have been Pleasure of Small Motions), but the deal is that with any muscle-memory sport, if you don't practice or play every 3 days, your skill level will drop a little bit.

So I would say that to really maintain your speed, you need to play or practice at least every 3 days.

Pool takes a very subtle touch on many shots and in fact different types of strokes (drag draw, punch/stun stroke, force follow, etc.) to move the cue ball around the table to get shape in different situations. I know that there are many people that have the "perception" that they can not play for a month or two and still pick up a cue and play at the same level -- but I say that they have indeed lost something, whether they consciously realize it or not.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Irving Crane in a video say he practiced about 3 days a week. That's not what I do - I try to hit balls every day but it worked for him.