Opponent's shot clock?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Admittedly, I play at a deliberate pace, walk around the table, visualize cb tracks, plot 2 ways shots, cluster breakouts, etc...stuf like that. On the slow side, but not sharky slooooooooowww.

The actual shot doesn't take long.

I was playing a guy yesterday, that seemed in a hurry to miss, both his shots and mine.

He was constantly checking his watch, as I surveyed the table.

I eventually found my self hurrying and missing shots(hey I miss enough anyway) that I expect to make.

I don't think it is a shark move...just an impatient habit on his part. I noticed also that he jumps up on every shot, and doesn't give himself a real chance to run balls, except for hangers.

Do you think he just wants his miss to be over quickly? The balls don't explode.

Part of me wants him to ask for some advice, but I don't think he has time for that. I don't think I should offer unless asked.

Eventually, I just went back to my normal PSR . The games didn't take that long...since he seldom makes a ball, and is quick about it.

How do you deal with 'clock watchers'?

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I also have a very deliberate PSR. Look at approach angle. Look at projected cue ball path. Walk around the table. Look at next shot. Look at cue ball line again. A few air strokes while I visualize the shot and when I get down to shoot it is over fairly quickly. Some might say that I play slow, but it is certainly not deliberately slow. I am not like some where I will just stand there and look at the shot for some time.

I have played with my fair share of clock watchers and have realized that the best thing that I can do when I notice it is to make my PSR even more deliberate so that way it helps me to refocus and take my mind off of what my opponent might be doing.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
His actions bother you, and he probably isn't enjoying playing with you either, so the easiest solution would probably just be to find someone else to play with that's more your speed, literally.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a very deliberate PSR. Look at approach angle. Look at projected cue ball path. Walk around the table. Look at next shot. Look at cue ball line again. A few air strokes while I visualize the shot and when I get down to shoot it is over fairly quickly. Some might say that I play slow, but it is certainly not deliberately slow.

I think everyone might say that you play slow. You do this on every shot?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Admittedly, I play at a deliberate pace, walk around the table, visualize cb tracks, plot 2 ways shots, cluster breakouts, etc...stuf like that. On the slow side, but not sharky slooooooooowww.

The actual shot doesn't take long.

I was playing a guy yesterday, that seemed in a hurry to miss, both his shots and mine.

He was constantly checking his watch, as I surveyed the table.

I eventually found my self hurrying and missing shots(hey I miss enough anyway) that I expect to make.

I don't think it is a shark move...just an impatient habit on his part. I noticed also that he jumps up on every shot, and doesn't give himself a real chance to run balls, except for hangers.

Do you think he just wants his miss to be over quickly? The balls don't explode.

Part of me wants him to ask for some advice, but I don't think he has time for that. I don't think I should offer unless asked.

Eventually, I just went back to my normal PSR . The games didn't take that long...since he seldom makes a ball, and is quick about it.

How do you deal with 'clock watchers'?

YOUR opponent just wasn't that good a game.
NEVER allow anyone to hurry / rush your game or shots.
Should your PSR become a problem in tournament play then it is up to the ref / tourney director to make a decision - NOT YOUR OPPONENT!
STAY FOCUS and keep shooting making your balls!
:thumbup:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I had a nick name on LI, NY of "Rabbit" because I just about ran around the table. After my stroke about 10 years ago now, the two things that got me back to the skill level I was at for years was slowing down with the same PSR each shot. In the begining I had to force myself to slow down. I still shoot fast, but if I have a problem posistion shot or some other problem shot I will take all the time I need. I guess you don't think as fast as you age. Johnnyt

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
80% of the time I have a very good idea what my plan will be before I get out of the chair. It's only when I question that plan, when I see it from a different angle, that I slow down a bit.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with BillyKoda in that I am looking at my situation when I am on the sidelines including patterns, break outs, position I need to be, safes and so forth. In pool leagues, it is for fun and the time line of one full minute is a long time for between shots. Outside the crucial situation where someone needs a little extra time, it really does not bother me if I am against a slow player. But, if it gets carried away, I may approach their team captain as usually their own team mates are disturbed. What bugs me is that when the slow player is off rambling, talking and not paying attention to the point that I have to stop what I am doing to get their attention so they know what shot I am calling. The player who has re work the whole table from shot to shot is the part I don't think I will understand as if their position of the cue ball is off a couple of inches, they then take 3 to 4 minutes working the whole table out again?? I don't know how an instructor would handle the situation as to me it just breaks down their game as it must be a chore to do. I don't have any problems with how players approach their game, but, feel many league players would go from average to good and good players to the next level if they could find more pace in their game. I've talked to many players that it may not hurt them to realize how long they take during a league match as I assure them I have no problems with their slow play, but, if we hook up at a tournament and every shot is again taking 3 to 4 minutes, the official will be there with the timer. I don't think no one with the true spirit of competition wants feel pushy towards anyone during a game, but, it's insane to sit there trying to concentrate while watching a person stand there like a statue for a full 2 minutes before moving a muscle on every shot. Maybe some simple shooting drills of easy shots will help gain quicker movement and confidence that the slow player will still make the shot ???
We sadly were informed that a long time player in our area was replaced because he became so slow and over thought every shot that his own team could not deal with it. Great Guy !! and I wish someone would have approached him first as I would have myself played against him recording the time between shots and hopefully got him into a better pace.
Chuck

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experience, playing at a different pace than your opponent wants you to will either make or break you. The same could be said for your opponent's pace. You should find someone that plays closer to your speed. Once you realize you will beat your opponent 9/10 times, you start playing sloppy and quick.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I ignore them.

If you're at the table but notice him checking his watch, then you're not really *at the table*, are you?

And that's my Zen Monkey Enlightenment Tip of the Day.

Zen+Monkey.jpg

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ignore them.

If you're at the table but notice him checking his watch, then you're not really *at the table*, are you?

And that's my Zen Monkey Enlightenment Tip of the Day.

Zen+Monkey.jpg

Hard to not see when he stands in your line of sight. lol But you're right..there's 'notice' and there's just see. good advice